Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Reviews & Recommendations

Old 08-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
zixaq
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ6
Name: Scott
I've been with Progressive. I liked their customer service years ago when I had car insurance with them.

Sadly Allstate won't insure new riders, or I'd have gone with them. The Geico and Pacific Mutual quotes were the same within ~$20 per year for two bikes, so I wasn't interested in trying it.

Also, those shopping should know that Progressive does NOT offer an AMA discount anymore unless you already had a policy with them from before 2015.

Fuck State Farm always and forever. Useless thieves. They could offer me insurance for free and I wouldn't take it.
zixaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #17
platini
Rookie

Motorcycles: aprilia tuono v4 street rsv4 rf track
Name:
Insurance

I have foremost more expensive than the others but I am completely cover for track days no questions ask, as long as it is not a race since I do a lot of track days it is worth it to me
platini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #18
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
AAA - they contract through Progressive. I've had my WR250 on liability @ $500/year (1 major ticket). I just got a quote for full coverage on the Husky 701 and liability on the WR for $750/year
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
Killin_ix
Veteran

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Ninja 400
Name: Eric
I have AAA for my car and wanted to do the same for my moto. They sent me to America Modern but I still got an umbrella discount. Rates are decent and AAA road side is covered for my moto too.
Killin_ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #20
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
I am looking for comprehensive only - specifically looking for insurance against theft - however the only company I have found that will offer me a comp policy includes collision as well and is prohibitively expensive...
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
SuperDooperPoop

Motorcycles: 2002 SV650s
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
USAA. Because they are significantly cheaper than anyone else.
This only works if you have been riding for more that 3 years in california, otherwise they won't insure you. I was with them on my car, but had to change because they wouldn't insure me.

Started out with progressive, but had shit coverage since i had to pay the full year upfront. I got better coverage and a way better price through Geico, though it may have something to do with the DUI on my record from 7 years ago...
SuperDooperPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
EarlyApex
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDooperPoop View Post
This only works if you have been riding for more that 3 years in california, otherwise they won't insure you. I was with them on my car, but had to change because they wouldn't insure me.

Started out with progressive, but had shit coverage since i had to pay the full year upfront. I got better coverage and a way better price through Geico, though it may have something to do with the DUI on my record from 7 years ago...
Yup. But you'll be glad they have that policy when you're eligible. It helps keep the premiums down.
EarlyApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 PM   #23
Ms. BananaHead

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ-07 Suzuki GS500F
Name:
Guess I gotta look into switching to Geico! :-\
Ms. BananaHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #24
kiwi_outdoors
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2007 DL650A
Name: Tony
State Farm

least expensive for $1M liability
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #25
Asudef
Still learning

Motorcycles: '89 FZR 400
Name: PC
Just wanted to ask other people's opinions on State Farm aside from the one scathing negative comment in this thread.

I'm getting quotes and its nearly half the price of Geico for roughly the same coverage. Progressive seems like the best deal so far.

I'm a new rider but am on an older bike. Any other places I should look? Is about $650/yr pretty average to pay for a new rider with one motorcycle?

Last edited by Asudef; 10-17-2016 at 04:05 PM..
Asudef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #26
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
I had State Farm and they paid out no problem when I totaled two cars. After my rates go back down I'll likely go back
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #27
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
I had a claim with State Farm, didn't need to fight with them and got a fair settlement. My rates didn't go up afterwards either. I have also had some very good experiences with State Farm homeowners policies.

My rates seem quite low compared to what other people often mention on here, but I have no tickets, only one claim ever and 7 vehicles plus a house insured with them, so the multi policy discounts make a big difference.

They will also provide comprehensive without collision, a nice option to have sometimes.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #28
Raider
yeap...

Motorcycles: Yamaha Kawasaki
Name:
State Farm: When I wasn't doing track day, bundled with with car and renters insurance
Foremost: When I did track days as they covered it
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #29
Twistaholic
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Bikeless ATM :( 2006 Gsxr 750 (sold) 2009 WR250r(sold)
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
I am looking for comprehensive only - specifically looking for insurance against theft - however the only company I have found that will offer me a comp policy includes collision as well and is prohibitively expensive...
Geico will do comprehensive and liability without the collision. I've done that before.

Also, the reason everyone has Geico is because they are by far and away the cheapest among most. I pay ~$800 for full coverage $500 ded (sportbikes man) and every time i've gotten quotes from Allstate, Progressive, etc they are like $2k or more! I think Progressive was like $2,800 a year (over 3x what Geico cost) I always check every few months but always the same result.

Last edited by Twistaholic; 10-21-2016 at 08:25 PM..
Twistaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
Twistaholic
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Bikeless ATM :( 2006 Gsxr 750 (sold) 2009 WR250r(sold)
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asudef View Post
Just wanted to ask other people's opinions on State Farm aside from the one scathing negative comment in this thread.

I'm getting quotes and its nearly half the price of Geico for roughly the same coverage. Progressive seems like the best deal so far.

I'm a new rider but am on an older bike. Any other places I should look? Is about $650/yr pretty average to pay for a new rider with one motorcycle?
Really depends on type of bike. For example my SV 650 cost be about $180/yr full coverage with Geico but by Gsxr cost me over $800. I quoted a Drz400s for fun and it was like $150. From my experience, sportbikes cost significantly more to insure. It also varies alot based on particular models (just ask Fz09 owners) because a popular bike with a high crash rate has higher rates.
Twistaholic is offline   Reply With Quote