Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Reviews & Recommendations

Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #31
EarlyApex
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ-09
Name:
^my fz09 cost me less than what you paid to insure your drz. 250comp/500 collision. the carrier is the biggest premium factor imo
EarlyApex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:46 PM   #32
SimbaDC650
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ-07
Name:
AAA southern cali, 1st year 1000 for the year, now 600 a year. I tried progressive, gieco, and freeway they all wanted over 2grand for the year. No accidents, no tickets, nothing ever period and its redonkulous. 2nd year riding.
SimbaDC650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #33
Asudef
Still learning

Motorcycles: '89 FZR 400
Name: PC
My bike is pretty old so I'm not sure if rates are comparable to modern sport bikes.

I'm not even sure what coverage to get as there are so many options but based on my quotes so far, Progressive has the highest coverage even though its closer to 1k.

Geico seems really aggressive, I've gotten constant emails and phone calls twice yesterday trying to get me to sign. That may be why they're most popular?

State Farm is cheapest though at half the price of Geico and roughly twice the coverage but I'm sure it doesn't break down as easily as that.

I'm definitely not seeing comprehensive though, maybe because I only have one year on my license they don't want to take the risk.
Asudef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #34
BigBalli
Florence ✈️ San Francisco

Motorcycles: Aprilia Shiver 750
Name: Giacomo
progressive for the price.
used it last year after someone cut me off and was good experience.
BigBalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #35
magyarbetyar
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2001 929(yel/blk the faster color) 2016 BMW R1200 GSLC
Name:
Allstate for the bikes and 21st Century for cars. Cheapest I could find. Might have to shop around just to make sure.
"You don't have to go fast to enjoy riding....just enjoy riding...." - V4
"One of my pet-peeves is people on motorcycles who think they don't have to wait in traffic like everybody else... Nothing would make me happier than to watch somebody, and I've actually seen this happen, somebody open a door and take you out as you are trying to squeeze through..."
- DJ Woody 01-12-06
magyarbetyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #36
packnrat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 2004 FZ1 1993 klr 650 1978 xl 350
Name:
i went with the lizards insurance.

cause it was cheapest.
just the bare basic to be legal on the street,
i crash i lose. you hit me i sue you.
i have full med so covered.

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #37
Tim-That CX Guy
Resident Window Licker

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: CX650 Eurosport, CX500
Name:
Progressive, through AFBA, because holy shit it was cheap, and they allowed agreed value on my CX's

"Obviously I wish them the best of luck but how many times can this Phoenix rise from the ashes?
At this point that poor things gotta look more like a scorched pigeon." - gixxerjeff on Buell Electric Motorcycles
Tim-That CX Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 AM   #38
NavyChief
MAC

Motorcycles: Pretty much anything
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDooperPoop View Post
This only works if you have been riding for more that 3 years in california, otherwise they won't insure you. I was with them on my car, but had to change because they wouldn't insure me.

Started out with progressive, but had shit coverage since i had to pay the full year upfront. I got better coverage and a way better price through Geico, though it may have something to do with the DUI on my record from 7 years ago...
Weird, I have USAA on my bike and I have only been in CA for 18 months. Maybe it's being a rider for longer than 3 years? It is the least expensive for me at 350/yr but it's a cruiser and I'm old.
NavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #39
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Geico.

While the price was good the response and service I get makes it easy to pick them. I had an RV and while in for service out of town, the shop there turned on the electricty to the reefer, 4 dead very expensive high capacity AGM batteires. I couldn't prove they did it and of course they denied it. Called Geico and they covered it, waived deductible. Wow.

Texting and intoxicated (booze and prescription pills I discovered) uninsured driver ran over my parked bike. Response on site an hour after my call, check in my hands 10 min later. Happy me other than having to fight the desire to do unmentionable things to that driver.

$250 a year, full coverage incl comp on two bikes and liability on a third squirter. No one could match them. Got the "seasoned" rider discount although not a cane shifter yet.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 12-18-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #40
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
An old dead thread but thought I would share my experience. I have been with USAA since 2004. i already had my SV650 insured with them when I moved back to CA. When I bought my Tuono and called to add it to the policy and drop the SV they told me I was lucky that I was now in CA. There is a law in CA that makes them offer motorcycle insurance if they want to do business here. Apparently they have dropped it in most states. They explained that they get the policies through a 3P (it's through Geico I believe). Anyway for 250/500 comp/collision and full coverage all around I pay $408 a year to cover my 2016 TV4F. My two cars are also insured through them so I am sure that keeps the price down a bit. And my Tuono is just a weekend rider. I have a work vehicle so between my T and my car I only drive about 6000 miles a year.

Other quotes I got were as high as $2,600 a year. USAA mostly rates the bike based on its engine size. I got quotes for the 1290 SDR, R1200GS, and Mutlistrada 1200 and they were all more expensive. Got quotes on the R1, RSV4, S1000R, and S1000RR and they were all cheaper.

No claims for motorcycles or tickets or anything while on a bike. I had a few movers in my old truck in 2004/2005 time frame but those are long gone.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #41
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)

Contributor ++++++++1%

Motorcycles: ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 R3 track, '15 R6 track, '15 Hyperstrada, '09 Zuma 125, '06 RM85L, '05 CRF15
Name: Looney
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex View Post
USAA. Because they are significantly cheaper than anyone else.
And far better service. We have our motorcycle, auto, and home insurance all through them.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #42
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
does usaa require military service or such? I have aaa for everything and they stopped serving mc policies years ago and I do not like their affiliate.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #43
MarktheShark
Gear head on 2 wheels

Motorcycles: 2004 Ex250, 2001 GSF1200s Suzuki Bandit Current: 2001 Sv650s
Name: Marco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
Geico. Was way cheaper than my old Progressive account.
ditto
Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #44
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
does usaa require military service or such? I have aaa for everything and they stopped serving mc policies years ago and I do not like their affiliate.
Pretty much. My ex has it because she kept an open account when we split. Then she remarried and is now divorced again. Presumably her second ex could also have USAA though he was never in the military and has never met me. It used to only be open to officers but that changed sometime in the mid 2000's. It has gotten a lot bigger since that time.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #45
Rumbo Sur
learning everyday

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: DR650, Ducati HyperStrada, .
Name: Patrick
Worked on a film crew doing an industrial on USAA, down in Texas, biggest building in the country or something. Just crazy big.
We interviewed the old CEO. I think after he passed a new gen took over and they really came back from the dark ages ... and have broadened their out reach.

IIRC, now anyone who is either current or former military or anyone who has a direct blood relative who is or was military, qualify.

My Dad was Navy ... they said I was good to go. But my quote was not good back then, so I kept shopping around.

Good news is insurance in CA is very competitive and constantly changes. Best to check around periodically.

I won't use Progressive because Flo wants to install trackers on cars & bikes ... For your Safety!
Unless the recent adverse reaction to that proposal had them change it up?
Dunno.

Last edited by Rumbo Sur; 06-29-2018 at 10:59 PM..
Rumbo Sur is offline   Reply With Quote