Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 10-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubble View Post
Cool. First time? What are you using for instruction? I think a valve check is out of my league as much as I'd love the challenge.
Thanks! I have checked and/or adjusted valves on kz440, ex250, xv250, sv650, fz09, and now s1000rr. I am using the factory service manual, available on the bike-specific forum website. It's a computer program that I use on a laptop in the garage as I work. Checking the valve clearances is an easier job than adjusting the valve clearances, especially when camshaft removal is required for adjustment (like the s1000rr). I am in the fortunate position where I can leave the bike apart while I wait for time and parts.
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 PM   #17
Emoney600
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 954rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
especially when camshaft removal is required for adjustment (like the s1000rr).
Wait... There are bikes that you can adjust without removing the camshafts?

Could you possibly retake the first picture with the flash on? I'm looking to buy a new bike soon and as a serious DIY you'd be doing me a serious favor. I guess the S1000rr is still too new/expensive because good DIY pictures are almost nonexsistent according to google images

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #18
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney600 View Post

Could you possibly retake the first picture with the flash on? I'm looking to buy a new bike soon and as a serious DIY you'd be doing me a serious favor. I guess the S1000rr is still too new/expensive because good DIY pictures are almost nonexsistent according to google images

Good luck!
I could do the valves on my Triumph triples by loosening the cam shafts and pulling them up a bit, didn't need to pull them or remove the timing chain. Pretty sure I managed the same trick on my KLR.

Desmo valves can be done without messing with camshafts, doesn't make it any easier though!
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:38 AM   #19
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:

Good luck!
Here's a link to a couple big pictures, I will take more this weekend as the coil tool should be here Thursday

https://imgur.com/a/j7Upd
Old 10-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
fast4d
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 aprilia
Name:
I'm glad they checked/adjusted my valves when they installed a new short block. rod or rod bolt let go.

still charged me $100 though :-(
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #21
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I'm glad they checked/adjusted my valves when they installed a new short block. rod or rod bolt let go.

still charged me $100 though :-(
I saw you post this yesterday then delete it, I was hoping you were talking about a Honda S1000

what year is it? what was the mileage when the rod went? had it been tracked at all?
Old 10-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #22
Outta Control
Renegade Drone Pilot

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 S1000RR Motorrad aka TaZ
Name: OuttaCtrl
Good luck and you should have done a YT video on this.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

"Non-stop pursuing of wealth will only turn a person into a twisted being, just like me."..."Material things lost can be found. But there is one thing that can never be found when it is lost – “Life”." Steve Jobs

motorcycling is for everybody, but not everybody is for motorcycling
Outta Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #23
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
Good luck and you should have done a YT video on this.
That's a good idea...Today I may put it all back together and then record me taking it back apart with the GoPro chest-mounted...I'm bored waiting for the parts
Old 10-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
fast4d
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
I saw you post this yesterday then delete it, I was hoping you were talking about a Honda S1000

what year is it? what was the mileage when the rod went? had it been tracked at all?

I deleted it cause mine is a 2012 (bmw s1000rr). let go at 7k miles. a few track days. has 14k miles now so hopefully that was the last of it.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
Phanuel
On a break

Motorcycles: Something crippled
Name:
2012s had that recall as well.
Phanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #26
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

what about the 'dust' in the dash Phanuel? do you have that? i think it's funny BMW warranty replaces $1100 dash assembly for dust
Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #27
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
curious to see what your results are once you get it apart
89fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #28
Lex Talionis
Inciteful

Motorcycles: Valkyrie, DR650
Name: See Above
Quote:
My Valkyrie and DR both have screw adjusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
I could do the valves on my Triumph triples by loosening the cam shafts and pulling them up a bit, didn't need to pull them or remove the timing chain. Pretty sure I managed the same trick on my KLR.
I had to remove the camshafts on my KLR when I replaced three shims - at 38,000 miles, so I was not unhappy. True story: I performed the valve clearance service on a friend's KLR, and found one of the camshaft caps installed incorrectly: having an arrow on the cap that points forward isn't enough of a hint for some shade tree mechanics.

OP, does your model have an algorithm that specifies when to check the valve clearance, or is the check called for only by mileage? Will you have an "idiot light" service light that you'll need to reset? I'm very pleased to see BMW's uber sportbike can be home-serviced.

TIA,
Lex
1984 or '5, around midnight, northbound on 280 through Sunnyvale, minimal traffic. On my GS1100E, wife riding pillion, loafing along at 70mph; enjoying the warmth of the summer night and the whiskey in my belly, the feeling of my wife's tits on my t-shirted back and the burble from the Supertrapp. All is right in my world.
Lex Talionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #29
fast4d
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
2012s had that recall as well.
I waited till after the stop sale to buy mine manufactured AFTER the affected date.

my friend had his 2012 recalled and replacement procedure done. yet it dropped a valve a few thousand miles later.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #30
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
My Valkyrie and DR both have screw adjusters.

I had to remove the camshafts on my KLR when I replaced three shims - at 38,000 miles, so I was not unhappy. True story: I performed the valve clearance service on a friend's KLR, and found one of the camshaft caps installed incorrectly: having an arrow on the cap that points forward isn't enough of a hint for some shade tree mechanics.

OP, does your model have an algorithm that specifies when to check the valve clearance, or is the check called for only by mileage? Will you have an "idiot light" service light that you'll need to reset? I'm very pleased to see BMW's uber sportbike can be home-serviced.

TIA,
Lex
Funnily enough, my front brake res bracket was installed upside down by BMW dealer no functional difference, but there is an upside down arrow and UP

I'm starting to think it's an algorithm, I took it to the dealer when I first picked it up and he said I would get the service light either in February or if I hit ~18,000miles /30,000km. Well it went on at 17,700. I expected around 18,600 since the conversion from 30,000km to miles is 18,640.

So it's both dated and mileage dependant. Yes I have to reset the light and interval using @WFO439's GS-911 tool ($400). That tool can do some other interesting things, one of which I hope is to change / verify rear tire diameter setting for traction control. You can switch between 190/200.

I am very pleased with how this BMW is put together, compared against a 2015 FZ-09. I am not pleased with how PO / Ace broke almost all the fairing tabs though

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I waited till after the stop sale to buy mine manufactured AFTER the affected date.

my friend had his 2012 recalled and replacement procedure done. yet it dropped a valve a few thousand miles later.
wow, that sucks i'm hoping the engine has been sorted in the three model years since, i do not plan to baby this machine and am looking at AFM depending on how 2017 turns out

Last edited by Smash Allen; 10-18-2016 at 11:47 AM..