Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto

Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #91
erok81
Rookie

Motorcycles: Husky 701
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
Make a reasonable offer and it's yours. Just look up what they're going for on mainstream sites and knock of 20% or so.
How about 80.00?
erok81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #92
erok81
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
oh, and to add to that, every, single, dealer, i called talked about how shitty huskys warranty process is.

"Takes a week to get an approval, then another week to get the parts, puts us at 2 weeks before I can even get started with the repair."

Ya, not sure i'll buy another husky. I'm assuming KTM is similar but at least there's way more dealers around me. Yamaha 450 conversion isn't sounding too bad right now.
Sometimes I wish I would have done a conversion. I like my 701 and all but something lighter would be nice.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #93
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
Wow! Thatís insane! Hope the process goes smooth for you.

That is bs your vin didnít pop but blew the motor from the KTM recall...
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #94
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
When I had the top end blow on my 701 it was a nightmare to get Husky to step up. I finally had to play hard ball after 3 months of bullshit.

- I had to tell them multiple times that my bike was one of the press bikes that was beat to shit by their euro press team in a visit to LA. Apparently several left with broken bones and injuries after hooning on the 701's. They had an internal communication that said something to the effect of "if one of these bikes comes in for mechanical failure, prioritize it... they were beat to shit and then sold as "new".

- I threatened to use my position as a track day employee and r/motorcycles moderator to inform 500k+ riders about the woes of my situation and the AWFUL warranty process and dealer support of Husky/KTM (Scott at Berkeley Yamaha/Huskie was VERY helpful though)... It a blown head gasket that was forcing coolant out of the overflow reservoir. They tried to sell it as coolant cap issues, hose issues, and seveal other problems that never would've resulted in the problems I had.

- When they tried to call my "bluff" I posted this video to r/supermoto with a title of "Why I'll never buy another KTM/Husqvarna again"

youtu.be/Z6GTJV9CDgo

They finally relented and replaced the top end.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #95
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Two barfers, two screwed top ends. No Husky's for me.
But a Ktm? Well maybe
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #96
JesasaurusRex
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Rex
The fact that i called husky on monday at 9am JUST to inquire if my bike had any known recalls, and i still haven't gotten a call back, speaks volumes.

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #97
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
When I had the top end blow on my 701 it was a nightmare to get Husky to step up. I finally had to play hard ball after 3 months of bullshit.

- I had to tell them multiple times that my bike was one of the press bikes that was beat to shit by their euro press team in a visit to LA. Apparently several left with broken bones and injuries after hooning on the 701's. They had an internal communication that said something to the effect of "if one of these bikes comes in for mechanical failure, prioritize it... they were beat to shit and then sold as "new".

- I threatened to use my position as a track day employee and r/motorcycles moderator to inform 500k+ riders about the woes of my situation and the AWFUL warranty process and dealer support of Husky/KTM (Scott at Berkeley Yamaha/Huskie was VERY helpful though)... It a blown head gasket that was forcing coolant out of the overflow reservoir. They tried to sell it as coolant cap issues, hose issues, and seveal other problems that never would've resulted in the problems I had.

- When they tried to call my "bluff" I posted this video to r/supermoto with a title of "Why I'll never buy another KTM/Husqvarna again"

youtu.be/Z6GTJV9CDgo

They finally relented and replaced the top end.
Those press bikes used in LA were all 2017 bikes. Yours is a 2016.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #98
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
Those press bikes used in LA were all 2017 bikes. Yours is a 2016.
No, it was the ORIGINAL press bikes. From 2015/2016. Mine might even be the one that Sean MacDonald rode in his review

It was the last '16 701 available in CA when i got it in Sep of '16

This info was from Scott at Berkley via his Husky rep

Last edited by cg_ops; 12-06-2018 at 07:34 PM..
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #99
DTM74
It's not my fault...

Contributor +++++++++1%
Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Seven-Oh-One
Name: Dan
After next month, I'll be in the deep waters with no warranty. 7,300 miles with no issues (knock on wood). Ya'll are making me nervous with all your blown top ends.
DTM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #100
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
After next month, I'll be in the deep waters with no warranty. 7,300 miles with no issues (knock on wood). Ya'll are making me nervous with all your blown top ends.
I would not worry. You have one reported head gasket issue, and a strange auto decomp bolt coming off. Not to say these are not legitimate issues. I read the whole 1,200 page thread on ADV rider regarding the 701, and issues like this were far and few.

Remember, the newer motor has been on the Duke since '14 and it's been solid.

I would not hesitate to buy again. Matter of fact, I ordered a 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R to replace my 2018 701. I can't wait!
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #101
DTM74
It's not my fault...

Contributor +++++++++1%
Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Seven-Oh-One
Name: Dan
I like the '19 KTM...saw prices were around 9600 pounds / $12,200...yeah, I'll keep the 701 for a bit
DTM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #102
ratlab
Veteran

Motorcycles: FZ10-R3x2-ninja 650
Name: reese
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
The fact that i called husky on monday at 9am JUST to inquire if my bike had any known recalls, and i still haven't gotten a call back, speaks volumes.
sounds like the way ktm dealt with the rc/duke 390 issues.
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #103
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM74 View Post
I like the '19 KTM...saw prices were around 9600 pounds / $12,200...yeah, I'll keep the 701 for a bit
Not a bad deal. Only 400 bucks more than the Husky and you get a much more comprehensive electronics package.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #104
FreeRyde
The Curmudgeon

Contributor +
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Connie da Best!
Name:
Man, sounds like Husky is worse than KTM when it comes to warranty. I didn't think that was possible!
Unsympathetic Dick
FreeRyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #105
erok81
Rookie

Name:
Ever wonder what you can fit under the seat if you replace the intake with one from Rottweiler?

Tool kit (factory + a few)
Flat repair kit (plugs, tool, and co2)
Rain jacket
Rain gloves