Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #1
Dubbington
Slamdunk Champion

Contributor

Motorcycles: EX Street Triple ;(
Name: Dubs
Kitchen Steak Knives Recs? - Not too Pricey

Ya'll ready for these married life threads?

Been researching steak knives and there's lots out there. We registered for some Henkel's I think or Wustoff that were about $80 a knife and then a cheaper set that was around $50 a knife.

I thought it would be cool to find a knife maker and get a set that's not as popular. Not sure what the cost on 8 steak knives would be from a smaller knife maker.

Is serrated to be avoided?

I also thought about just getting some Cutco kind and having the ability to return/send back for sharpening for life.

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Quote:
Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns, so don't buy that malarkey. … I've got two, if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he's got a problem. -Biden
Dubbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Mike95060
Figured it out!

Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2004 CRF 250X
Name:
Just be second in sales. You'll get your steak knives.

You should always be looking for new ways to have fun.
I'm not a nostalgic guy. I'll talk about the past when someone asks, but I'm always looking at what's next for fun.
That's what has kept me pushing forward all these years. - Bob Mctavish
Mike95060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike95060 View Post
Just be second in sales. You'll get your steak knives.

How were steak knives not on your wedding gift registry? Was it all towels wood working tools?

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Sanelli

https://www.amazon.com/Sanelli-Prema...70_&dpSrc=srch

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Map8 View Post

How were steak knives not on your wedding gift registry? Was it all towels wood working tools?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbington View Post
Been researching steak knives and there's lots out there. We registered for some Henkel's I think or Wustoff that were about $80 a knife and then a cheaper set that was around $50 a knife.
Reading is your friend.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
CoorsLight
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: smell good
Name:
Quote:
Ya'll ready for these married life threads?

I thought it would be cool to find a knife maker and get a set that's not as popular. Not sure what the cost on 8 steak knives would be from a smaller knife maker.

Is serrated to be avoided?

I also thought about just getting some Cutco kind and having the ability to return/send back for sharpening for life.
Do you sharpen your own knives? If not, get serrated.

Cutco is a total scam, but Henkels and Wuthof are nothing like they used to be. At $50-80 a knife, that's highway robbery.

Laguoile is Ok for the money. I have a set I got from Costco. Nothing special, but decent value, long lasting and attractive. Victorinox makes a set, and Victorinox generally offers acceptable value. Tojiro is a budget-minded Japanese maker. I have a decent petty knife from them. Anyway, they have a non-serrated set if you are into sharpening.

If I was interested in getting a high quality serrated set made with high quality steel, I'd look at Windmuhlenmesser/Herder. Pretty much the only large production German brand that isn't making shitty products these days.

If you get something from a lower volume, high quality maker, expect to pay more, and don't expect serrations.

Last edited by CoorsLight; 10-22-2018 at 10:46 AM..
CoorsLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
HappyHighwayman
Now I have a machinegun

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Didn't read clearly. I have these serrated steak knives by Henkel that are crazy sharp for steak eating.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Cook your meat so it's fork tender. No knives necessary
Abacinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
westie
Its Dethklok!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Race, Dirt, Street, Mini???
Name: Scottie
My FiL gave us some steak knives that resemble scalpels both in shape and sharpness. For that reason I cannot use them. My 20 y.o. serrated knives work just fine and still look nice.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
GAJ
Veteran

Motorcycles: DRZ400SM, F800ST
Name: Geoff
Quote:

Under $50 for 8 forged knives.

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-07145-4...chikara+knives

Consumer Reports rated their knives as high as the brands you mentioned.

"For some, the name Ginsu is synonymous with hammy 1970s-era infomercials, but this a serious cutlery company...offers incredible value, providing the cutting performance and handle comfort of knives costing three and four times as much."
GAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Billy
I prefer non-serrated steak knives. If I wanted my steak pre-chewed I'd find a local fetish group and eat with them. We got 2 sets of either Henckels or Wusthoff straight knives for wedding gifts and so far they're great.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #12
CABilly
Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie View Post
My FiL gave us some steak knives that resemble scalpels both in shape and sharpness. For that reason I cannot use them. My 20 y.o. serrated knives work just fine and still look nice.
How much for the scalpel knives?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Cook your meat so it's fork tender. No knives necessary
There is a lot of truth in that. I use cheap-assed steak knives that I've never sharpened in decades, steak shouldn't require sharp knives. I must be missing something, maybe the steak tastes better if it's cut with a razor sharp knife.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #14
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoorsLight View Post
Do you sharpen your own knives? If not, get serrated.

Cutco is a total scam, but Henkels and Wuthof are nothing like they used to be. At $50-80 a knife, that's highway robbery.

Laguoile is Ok for the money. I have a set I got from Costco. Nothing special, but decent value, long lasting and attractive. Victorinox makes a set, and Victorinox generally offers acceptable value. Tojiro is a budget-minded Japanese maker. I have a decent petty knife from them. Anyway, they have a non-serrated set if you are into sharpening.

If I was interested in getting a high quality serrated set made with high quality steel, I'd look at Windmuhlenmesser/Herder. Pretty much the only large production German brand that isn't making shitty products these days.

If you get something from a lower volume, high quality maker, expect to pay more, and don't expect serrations.
I disagree about Cutco, they are really nice for low maintenance knives. The mrs has a near unsettling obsession with knives . She did sell Cutco way way back, so we have nearly every single knife in the Cutco catalog.
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #15
CABilly
Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
There is a lot of truth in that. I use cheap-assed steak knives that I've never sharpened in decades, steak shouldn't require sharp knives. I must be missing something, maybe the steak tastes better if it's cut with a razor sharp knife.
I do feel like each bite is better when cut with a sharp knife rather than having been sawn down, squishing out all the juice in the process. Just like how you slice your meat matters, I think that applies to every bite.

I like my steak rare, so even the tenderest steak won't be able to just be mushed apart with a fork. I may not know what I'm missing, though. I can only imagine any steak that falls apart with forking it being mealy and lacking that somewhat fibrous continuity feel of eating a chunk of muscle.