Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 PM   #16
Mario
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM/Triumph/GSXR
Name: Mario
Decided to pull the trigger on this and began the process this weekend.

Step one: get the engine out... and while at it, strip down to an clean chassis to service the entire bike

5.5hrs of work condensed in 2 min video

youtu.be/p6K-a9sje3A
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #17
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Decided to pull the trigger on this and began the process this weekend.

Step one: get the engine out... and while at it, strip down to an clean chassis to service the entire bike

5.5hrs of work condensed in 2 min video

youtu.be/p6K-a9sje3A
Looking forward to following the progress!

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #18
Mario
Veteran

Well... there is no going back now! It was actually pretty easy. A bit stressing to get the cylinder out, but the rest was very easy

I did another leak test, this time I measured less than 5%. I'm a bit puzzled about this because I measured 10%+ last year. It's been sitting for months now, so I wonder if sitting made some stuff seal better...

On to my shitty analysis, the cylinder still looks good, cross hatch is still there, a few wear marks front and rear wall of cylinder. When I did the leak test, majority of the air came from the crankcase, so I am assuming worn rings. There was some air escaping the valves, but having no experience on this, don't know if this needs to be air tight or not.

Both cylinder and head are going to the shop for the pros to tell me if I need any work done or not.

This was about 2hrs of work, mostly reading the manual and labeling all parts in ziploc bags.

youtu.be/jIPZtylBK_8

Old 01-16-2019, 03:21 PM   #19
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Nice job! Nothing like the confidence a project like this builds.

Can you feel those visible marks on the on the front and rear of the cylinder with your finger nails? If not, I'd be tempted to run it again. But I rebuild my top ends frequently with fresh pistons and try to get as many hours as possible out of cylinders. Replating isnt cheap. Measuring the bore and looking for ovalling of the cylinder will tell for sure... and Edco will do that.

If you want to button it up and forget it again for a couple of years.... thats different.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #20
Mario
Veteran

Can't feel any of those wear marks. But being the first engine I tear apart, I'll leave the judgement to EDco. Having it apart, I'm guessing piston and rings are mandatory. Don't know if they'll recommend something with the head... I'll take it up there this coming weekend.

Thanks for the feedback btw
Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #21
Mario
Veteran

Engine is back from EDC! REAAAAAALLY happy with them! I dropped the cylinder and head off and they did all the measurements and recommendations. Labor was very reasonable. With EDC work, gaskets and piston, this top end rebuild will come under $600.

What was done:
- Cylinder was bored and honed
- New piston, one size up
- Head was disassembled, cleaned, inspected and reassembled with same valves, new guide seals

Looking forward to putting everything together and riding the shit out of it again

Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #22
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Wow, they didn't even need to do a valve job?!? Are you replacing the cam chain?
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #23
Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post
Wow, they didn't even need to do a valve job?!? Are you replacing the cam chain?
No valve job required. All valve clearances were up to spec and nothing else was needed other than a good cleaning.

Do I need to replace the cam chain? It's got only 120hrs 2200mi. I was planning on doing that at 250hrs when I will probably do a top and bottom end.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #24
MX500
Pooter

Motorcycles: 02 Bandit 1200S K6 GSXR1000
Name: Daniel
How deep are those new scratches on the head gasket mating surface? I would feel uneasy about those being that close to the fire ring on the gasket
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650
MX500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 PM   #25
MX500
Pooter

Quote:
No valve job required. All valve clearances were up to spec and nothing else was needed other than a good cleaning.

Do I need to replace the cam chain? It's got only 120hrs 2200mi. I was planning on doing that at 250hrs when I will probably do a top and bottom end.
I wouldn't worry about the cam chain, but you can most likely measure for wear by checking the chains "stretch". The factory service manual would give you the specs if there are any.
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650
Old 02-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
Mario
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX500 View Post
How deep are those new scratches on the head gasket mating surface? I would feel uneasy about those being that close to the fire ring on the gasket
Are you talking about this marks on the head surface? Surface marks from head gasket I guess, no depth to these marks

Old 02-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #27
MX500
Pooter

The scratches near the exhaust valves. I edited an image with circles but tinypic seems to be spam now.

On further inspection that almost looks like oil residue from being bagged?
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650
Old 02-03-2019, 06:14 PM   #28
Mario
Veteran

This ones? I can feel these ones with my nails, not deep but can tell it is there. Not sure where these came from, I always rested the head on a piece of shop towel or rags. Doubt EDC scratched it. Still can't see them on the original set of pics.

Should I be worried about this? Send back to EDC to fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	517122  
Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #29
MX500
Pooter

Quote:
This ones? I can feel these ones with my nails, not deep but can tell it is there. Not sure where these came from, I always rested the head on a piece of shop towel or rags. Doubt EDC scratched it. Still can't see them on the original set of pics.

Should I be worried about this? Send back to EDC to fix this?
It looks to me like they could have happened when using a valve spring compressor. Accidents happen, I'd give them a call and see if they will repair or resurface it for you.

Safety wise? My biggest concern would be a possible risk of head gasket failure if the scratches are on the gasket surface, second would be carbon attaching and causing hotspots/detonation.

The scratches would have most likely been visible like a pattern through the carbon if they were there initially.
2008 Hayabusa
2003 Suzuki DR650

Last edited by MX500; 02-03-2019 at 08:12 PM..
Old 02-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #30
Mario
Veteran

I took another good look at the scratches, they are really not that bad. I put a bit of oil and put a few strokes of 1200grit sandpaper and I cannot feel them with my nail anymore. Still visible but no different than honing marks in the cylinder. Thanks for the fb on this, I'll watch out for these scratches on the next engine tear down!