Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Couch Racer's Corner

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #46
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Solid points. Sure give KTM a feeder spot.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
Old 11-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #47
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Solid points. Sure give KTM a feeder spot.

With that frame and absent divine intervention, that's all they're going to be. Zarco's first day had him saying, "Damn, this thing sucks getting into corners... wonder why?"
Old 11-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #48
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazMan View Post
Well I would imagine that Tech3 was probably part of Yamaha cutting back expenditures world wide. Yamaha was probably either thinking about cutting a program or looking for more money from Tech3. Or it could have been something with the Petronas deal that Herve didn't like or felt like they were either getting equal equipment or not something a 20 year relationship should have brought forward.

I think the success of Tech3 was probably a nice way for KTM to expand their program to an A and B team.

Keeping in mind Herve's position within MotoGP, I'm sure there were a lot of details being discussed behind many doors before leaving Yamaha and aligning with KTM. However, with KTM in Rookies Cup, CEV Moto3, Moto3, Moto2, and MotoGP, bringing up young talent is right up Herve's strengths and focuses, but now his farm system is much deeper.
Those are all solid points.

The farm-feeder system must be extremely attractive to any team!

I wonder if Tech 3 has been promised to become the factory KTM effort, given Tech 3's long time participation and success in MotoGP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
With that frame and absent divine intervention, that's all they're going to be. Zarco's first day had him saying, "Damn, this thing sucks getting into corners... wonder why?"
Hopefully, with Zarco's help, KTM can fix this issue and they will move up the grid!

As to the Yamaha Patronas effort, I think that is the beginning of Rossi's retirement - moving over to run that team in 2020 or 2021 after he retires. If Rossi is not 2nd or 3rd in the 2019 championship, I think he will retire at the end of 2019. If somehow he wins the 2019 championship, I think he will retire at that point.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #49
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Tech3 is getting factory bikes for 2019. theres no 2nd-tier spec for KTM. no rev limit. no lower spec electronics. no waiting for the new aero-package. theres 4 factory KTMs on the grid next year.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #50
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Tech3 is getting factory bikes for 2019. theres no 2nd-tier spec for KTM. no rev limit. no lower spec electronics. no waiting for the new aero-package. theres 4 factory KTMs on the grid next year.
Yup, I read that, but what I meant for Tech 3 to be running the actual factory team since Tech 3 has a lot more experience in MotoGP than the KTM factory.

That is one way for Tech 3 to be a higher echelon team than a Yamaha satellite factory support team they have been for many years.

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #51
plaid
Veteran

Motorcycles: 1968 Bridgestone 350 GTR
Name: Barking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I knew all that.
Signed, sealed, delivered.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #52
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Yup, I read that, but what I meant for Tech 3 to be running the actual factory team since Tech 3 has a lot more experience in MotoGP than the KTM factory.

That is one way for Tech 3 to be a higher echelon team than a Yamaha satellite factory support team they have been for many years.
that has some drawbacks. likely, a lot of Tech3 staff would be replaced by KTM staff - mechanics, data engineers, etc. KTM mechanics know the bike better and KTM can hire better data engineers. Tech3 would no longer be Tech3.

I don't think it'll take too long for KTM to gain enough experience so that their technical knowledge allows them to surpass Tech3 in every way. even next year, I fully expect Factory KTM to beat Tech3 in all the championships. of course a lot of that comes down to the riders, and its ez to say that Zarco & Pol are better than Olivera & Syahrin. but ya.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #53
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Quote:
that has some drawbacks. likely, a lot of Tech3 staff would be replaced by KTM staff - mechanics, data engineers, etc. KTM mechanics know the bike better and KTM can hire better data engineers. Tech3 would no longer be Tech3.

I don't think it'll take too long for KTM to gain enough experience so that their technical knowledge allows them to surpass Tech3 in every way. even next year, I fully expect Factory KTM to beat Tech3 in all the championships. of course a lot of that comes down to the riders, and its ez to say that Zarco & Pol are better than Olivera & Syahrin. but ya.
All good points. I was thinking that Tech 3's motivation for the switch MIGHT have been the promise of taking over the factory team. This has been done before such as when the Yamaha factory team switched hands from Roberts.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #54
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Name: Ryan
Tech3 having full factory bikes with direct KTM support is better for GP than them being the factory team, IMO.

It raises the bar for what top tier sat teams can and should get. Ducati, in my memory, pushed that paradigm by giving sat teams factory bikes and lots of factory support/data sharing. We then had HRC/LCR Cal combo and that worked very well for all parties.

The efforsts of Honda/Ducati have made their bikes better, while Yamaha dicked around with Tech3 and wasted the last 2 seasons of clearly capable riders.

I see the KTM/Tech3 partnership a push forward and an example for other factories to follow along with. Hopefully Yamaha gives a better bike/package/support to Petronas, Honda extends more support to LCR, Ducati will likely keep up their support of sat teams and Suzuki needs to shake some dollars loose and field more bikes.

Last edited by RightCoastBias; 11-21-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Old 11-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #55
KazMan
2012 Fifty is Nifty Tour!

AMA #2086825
Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
Quote:
Per Herve himself, there is an A team, factory riders signed by KTM and a B team, riding with Tech3. Tech3 is the breeder team for talent to the A team or factory team somewhere.

All having the same equipment I believe was a major selling point for Herve and Tech3 as Yamaha definitely has A and B tiered equipment.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #56
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813, Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655
Name:
Let's shift gears from all this backmarker KTM talk.

I'm most intrigued by Petronas Yamaha. I highly doubt an oil company in the most MotoGP marketable regions of the world steps in knowing they're going to get Tech3 level support from Yamaha. And let's face it, Yamaha, even with the new engine, etc., needs all the help they can get. If Petronas' expectations are anything like their F1 results, I think we're in for some unexpected surprises. Morbidelli is no slouch, and I'm pretty sure Quartararo will come around eventually.

That is all, feel free to downshift back to into KTM shades of Ducati 2012.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #57
KazMan

AMA #2086825
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Well Scooter,

If you saw testing this morning Morbidelli proved to be no slouch as at one point he was in the top 3 fastest. Apparently Petronas team was running the new 2019 motor in their bikes for the tests this week.

And Folger as part of the European testing team destroyed one of the M1's late in the session. Cool track set off a series of crashes from supposedly cold front tires.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #58
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Oliveira on an outlap still getting used to the carbon brakes.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #59
KazMan

AMA #2086825
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map8 View Post
Oliveira on an outlap still getting used to the carbon brakes.
That was amazing to watch
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #60
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Since the predicted downfall of MM due to shoulder injuries I figured it was a good time to buy this

Add it to my collection.
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
Closed Thread