Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob11379 View Post
Just a quick test to see the differences between the two....About a 5" strip on the cheaper warmers that dont get very hot. I didnt catch that using the temp gun. Thermos gives a much better few...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpqPydtvu5M
Looks like those new warmers are the ticket

I like my tires like I like my coffee... black and 200F

I doubt my tires are 200F off the warmers, but Pirelli website recommends 176F for an hour before use

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...ablo-superbike
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
The Current SC3 is an odd duck. (2017 is the latest I have seen) It's supposed to be a hard, but it's just as soft as an SC2 and wears fast ( IMHO). The only plus is that they are cheap. They spin up easier than an SC2 as well. Typically, in the past, the SC3 has been much "harder".

As to weather, The SC3 is the cold weather tire for rears, then the SC2, then the SC1. The lower numbers work well in the heat, not so well in the cold. I will start out the season on an SC3. For the fronts, it is the opposite. Pirellis are not like Dunlops. The SC1 and SC2 are the only tires I run on the front.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
jacob11379
jacob11379

Motorcycles: Track 05 GSXR1000, Track 13 ZX10R, Street 07 R1
Name: jacob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
Looks like those new warmers are the ticket

I like my tires like I like my coffee... black and 200F

I doubt my tires are 200F off the warmers, but Pirelli website recommends 176F for an hour before use

https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...ablo-superbike
The warmers shut off once they reach temp.

SO the questions begs to be asked, at what temp do they kick back on? or is a time delay? You most likely CANT maintain 170* plus temp for more than 15 mintues without the shut down....

Ask Pirelli how they recommend us to do that, I would imagine they have this stuff down to a science and a solution or product that can make that happen...
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #19
jacob11379
jacob11379

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
The Current SC3 is an odd duck. (2017 is the latest I have seen) It's supposed to be a hard, but it's just as soft as an SC2 and wears fast ( IMHO). The only plus is that they are cheap. They spin up easier than an SC2 as well. Typically, in the past, the SC3 has been much "harder".

As to weather, The SC3 is the cold weather tire for rears, then the SC2, then the SC1. The lower numbers work well in the heat, not so well in the cold. I will start out the season on an SC3. For the fronts, it is the opposite. Pirellis are not like Dunlops. The SC1 and SC2 are the only tires I run on the front.
Thanks for that...Thats pretty valuable information I wasnt aware of...

Can you expand on the difference between Pirellis and Dunlaps? I have always ran SC2 and SC1 but the bike i just bought has Dunlaps on it and came with a couple of 1 day left tires. I would also like to know in case Dunlap is the only tire I have a choice of running and what i might experience differently...
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Depends on the tire; the operating temperature varies both with compound and tire brand. Ideally you want the tire to be at operating temperature off warmers.

For example, the fast stock1000 rider on MotoAmerica extra soft Dunlop likes 38psi front at 190F and 20psi rear at 200F. The slow AFM rider on Pirelli sc2 likes 33psi front at 200F and 24psi rear at 200F.

General rule of thumb is the tire should be hot enough that it’s painful to hold your hand on the tire for more than a couple seconds.
Warmers never heat the tire to ideal operating temperature, which is generally well over 200F.

Baking a tire at 200F, say between sessions at a trackday, is probably wasteful.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 01-27-2019 at 09:13 AM..
stangmx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #21
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Quote:
The warmers shut off once they reach temp.

SO the questions begs to be asked, at what temp do they kick back on? or is a time delay? You most likely CANT maintain 170* plus temp for more than 15 mintues without the shut down....

Ask Pirelli how they recommend us to do that, I would imagine they have this stuff down to a science and a solution or product that can make that happen...
Don’t overthink it, leave ‘em on high for at least an hour and you’ll be good to go! You will feel the rim and spokes get warm, that’s a good indicator that the whole carcass is warm and ready.

You still need to take it easy for a lap or so as the suspension fluid needs to come to temperature as well. When’s the last time the suspension fluid in the forks and shock were changed?
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
jacob11379
jacob11379

Quote:
Don’t overthink it, leave ‘em on high for at least an hour and you’ll be good to go! You will feel the rim and spokes get warm, that’s a good indicator that the whole carcass is warm and ready.

You still need to take it easy for a lap or so as the suspension fluid needs to come to temperature as well. When’s the last time the suspension fluid in the forks and shock were changed?
4 track days on the R1
4 track days on the GSXR1000
3 races(not by me) on the ZX10R

I go for several sessions building up to speed while warming fluids. Also because I dont get to ride enough it takes a few just to get reiterated with the bike and the track.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #23
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Thanks for that...Thats pretty valuable information I wasnt aware of...

Can you expand on the difference between Pirellis and Dunlaps? I have always ran SC2 and SC1 but the bike i just bought has Dunlaps on it and came with a couple of 1 day left tires. I would also like to know in case Dunlap is the only tire I have a choice of running and what i might experience differently...
Carcass vs compound. Pirellis have a soft carcass and change construction, dunlops have a super hard carcass ( I hate changing them by hand) and many different compounds. You will have to use more damping with Dunlops, the tire will no longer be doing part of the damping. Dunlops feel like you are riding on a razor edge, they are super precise. Pirellis are more "smeary".

Pro tip. You get great traction out of both. Dunlop costs more and lasts longer. When they start to go, they go fast. Pirellis just get slipperier and slipperier. At the end the rears feel like you are riding on jello and not asphalt. (That's the last 1/64" of rubber before the steel comes up. When the steel comes up they immediately start spinning up insanely for some reason.)

Quote:
4 track days on the R1
4 track days on the GSXR1000
3 races(not by me) on the ZX10R

I go for several sessions building up to speed while warming fluids. Also because I dont get to ride enough it takes a few just to get reiterated with the bike and the track.
That is good mileage. I use one lap on warm days and two on cold days.

Last edited by afm199; 01-27-2019 at 09:14 PM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:49 PM   #24
jacob11379
jacob11379

Quote:
That is good mileage. I use one lap on warm days and two on cold days.
It is...

I often come in about 15ish minutes into sessions, and if I go hard I can only do about 3-4 sessions before im burnt out.

SO I have to take it easy at some point during the day anyway...Better to do so in the mornings

But I havent made it out on a hot day yet.

As my technique and riding skills improve im sure I will use more of the time available.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:15 AM   #25
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
Quote:

So I have a used SC1 and 2 front and a used 2 and 3 rear from last season. We're doing Sonoma track day on Feb. 23. What would you think is good for that day, 2 front and 3 rear?
89fj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #26
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fj View Post
So I have a used SC1 and 2 front and a used 2 and 3 rear from last season. We're doing Sonoma track day on Feb. 23. What would you think is good for that day, 2 front and 3 rear?
Sure. Or run the 2 front and rear. The SC1 rears are incredibly hard to keep whole in the cold, the 2 and 3 not so much.

I'm probably going and with a 2 rear and front.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:36 PM   #27
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
cool, if you see me making any mistakes out there, feel free to grab me by the ear and let me know
89fj is online now   Reply With Quote