Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
bradlys
Rookie

Motorcycles: 07 SV650S; 93 CBR900RR
Name:
One off tools... AKA, fork seal driver

Yep. I don't own one. You guys have any opinions on one? I got all the way to the point of jamming my fork seals home then realized my fork tube diameter does not play nicely with standard PVC/ABS pipe sizes. (Even if I do cut the pipes up a lot to get them to fit around) Spent too much time on this already. Just need the proper tool.

Anyone got a kit they like to use? Anyone got a kit I can borrow? Looking for a 45mm driver right now. Such is life.

Feels like I'm gonna have to shell out $60 on a stupid kit that I'll use once or twice and then store with all my other tools that I rarely use.... while still living in a tiny house.
bradlys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Motion Pro ringer is super easy to use. https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0491
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
moto guild probably has the tool

https://www.motoguild-sf.com/pages/pricing
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
I have quite a few tools like that, only get used very sporadically but specialized. I justify the investment by the significant savings in labor, and usually buying the tool is a small fraction of the cost for shop to do it. Just my opinion.

That said, drivers can be had for less than $60 (motion pro isnt even that expensive.) There is a Tusk 45mm one on Ebay right now new for $25 with free shipping.

I've never used the adjustable ones, just a collection of size specific ones collected over the years. If I were closer and not leaving for Baja in a few hours I would offer to loan you one. But $25 aint a bad price for the right tool to get your job done IMO.

Then again, I've used PVC pipe in a pinch before.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
Hammerstime
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 848
Name:
I've only used a piece of PVC pipe to drive fork seals into place. It works great, cost a lot less & if it gets damaged. Just cut a new one.
Hammerstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
I've used this with great success. Will fit almost any fork seals you'll do in the future.

If you want to meet me at my place in the South Bay, you're welcome to use it.
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
bradlys
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
I've used this with great success. Will fit almost any fork seals you'll do in the future.

If you want to meet me at my place in the South Bay, you're welcome to use it.
I'll probably end up buying it as meeting up twice is rather time intensive and time is one of my most finite resources. But thanks! If it was a neighbor nearby in San Carlos then no biggie. But, bay area is so big.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
You can't just find a similarly sized plastic pipe and cut? That's what I do.
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
bobl
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX6 Kawasaki
Name:
If standard PVC doesn't line up, try some fittings. They are usually thicker. They can be easily sanded down if a little too large. Also, steel pipe is a different diameter. You can buy nipples as opposed to a full section. Take a seal with you to the hardware store. I like to use T fittings and pound on the T part using a deadfall or plastic mallet. DO NOT hit close to your fork tube with a steel hammer, as even a little miss will put a ding in your tube.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
I expect I will have to learn to do this sooner than later and, like you, don't like buying tools that I'll rarely use or could fashion by myself.

Youtube is your friend:
https://youtu.be/vrmYJgcGX30 fast forward to 17:00.

I will probably opt for hose clamps instead of the u-clamps he used.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #11
musiclucho

Motorcycles: Honda Nighthawk 750
Name:
You don't even need to buy a piece of PVC pipe. All that you need is your electrical tape. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzZjW2p_H4

I did the same with my Honda Nighthawk 750 '03. Nice and easy and this was my first try at changing fork seals. One year later, not a single clue that the seals are leaking and I ride every single day.

My extra advice: place the old seal between new one and the "electrical tape fork seal" and it would go inside like butter.
musiclucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclucho View Post
You don't even need to buy a piece of PVC pipe. All that you need is your electrical tape. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzZjW2p_H4

I did the same with my Honda Nighthawk 750 '03. Nice and easy and this was my first try at changing fork seals. One year later, not a single clue that the seals are leaking and I ride every single day.

My extra advice: place the old seal between new one and the "electrical tape fork seal" and it would go inside like butter.
Interesting idea but I am not completely clear. Is he fashioning a seal driver by just winding tape or did he use tape to secure the old seal and use it as the driver? The tape isn't too soft?

Got to be careful not to mar the fork tube with the screw driver.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
bradlys
Rookie

Name:
Time is money. I've done these things unsuccessfully and wasted a ton of time. I'll be buying the $60 kit off Amazon soon enough. I'd like a cheap and nice trick but with my luck and what not, it just ain't work it.

Unfortunately, I value my time very highly and so I cannot spend anymore time with the PVC/ABS pipe stuff. Just is what it is... It's why I have so many tools anyway. (They save me time)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #14
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
I have always used pvc pipe and a hose clamp to squeeze it onto the fork tube. A little duct tape first helps keep it from slipping.

In my experience the only tubes that actually need a hammering action to install the bushings/seals are older Honda stuff. Everything else can be pressed in by hand (with a close enough piece of pvc pipe or similar)
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #15
musiclucho

Motorcycles: Honda Nighthawk 750
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFRick View Post
Interesting idea but I am not completely clear. Is he fashioning a seal driver by just winding tape or did he use tape to secure the old seal and use it as the driver? The tape isn't too soft?

Got to be careful not to mar the fork tube with the screw driver.
Yes, just wind tape around the upper fork until you reached the desired diameter. If the first turns are tight, it won't move and serve to hammer the new seal inside, just like the same technique that "Delboy's garage" uses but there is no need of using a pvc pipe clamped into the upper part of the fork.

I added the old seal first (I just placed it "next" to the tape lump), just to match the exact diameter of the new one and it pushed the new seal inside like butter.
Notice that is Delboy's video, he lubricates the outer edge of the new seal with fork fluid. Resting friction to the operation is key to allow an easy technique.

Last edited by musiclucho; 01-28-2019 at 10:14 AM..
musiclucho is offline   Reply With Quote