Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
MysterYvil
On a break

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
So your saying that if poor people lived there we would not have the sound restrictions and more racing!???
Prunedale, in North Monterey County, has a huge problem with a couple of properties hosting rave-type events. Insanely loud music, drunk/drugged drivers on the roads.

But because the per capita income is modest the County Supervisors and Sheriffs do jack and shit, unlike the crap they rained down on the track and range at Laguna Seca.
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Maybe a study to see how the nearby wealthy property owners/noise complainers county property tax payment totals compare to the race track income.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #18
MysterYvil
On a break

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
Maybe a study to see how the nearby wealthy property owners/noise complainers county property tax payment totals compare to the race track income.
Completely irrelevant down here. All that matters is who can stuff how many dollars into a Supervisors's pocket. Mo dollaz, mo win.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #19
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Lol even the cheap bastard I am spent big $$$$ at Laguna go it was always something fukn awesome......haha
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
cencalballer
Veteran

Motorcycles: all of them
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
This is an excellent example of why I was so angry that the Monterey County was not willing to pay more for MotoGP and upgrade the track. Using the spending number in this study ($697) with the one day Laguna MotoGP attendance in 2012, we have 52,677 * 690 = $36,347,130. And anyone that knows anything knows that MotoGP and Formula One patrons spend even more money than other race fans.

MotoGP claims $100 million per race weekend. For Laguna, $50 to $75 million would be more realistic. Which is still a nice return on the investments necessary for one darn weekend at the track . Narrow-minded California bureaucrats may not be good for racing or wise business decisions. A long term plan for the track should have been done 10 years ago. I don't think it has really been done, even as of today.
It's worse than that. The county who decides if they will get motogp knows that that weekend alone brings in 20 million in tax revenue. They pay 10 mil and collect in 5 days. They still said no because of a bunch of old idiots.
cencalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
One of the (many) reasons that the rules are ridiculous: You can drive these cars from the showroom floor to the track, legally, and get black flagged:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6, C7), ZR1 (C6)
Porsche 911 GT3 (996, 997, 991.1, 991.2) / GT3 RS
Porsche Cayman S/Boxster S/GTS/GT4 (981, 987)
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang GT350
Nissan GTR (R34)
Ferrari 458
Ferrari F430
Audi R8
Lamborghini Huracan

I used to live near the track, in Corral De Tierra, about a mile away as the crow flies. I loved waking up on the weekends and watching the hot air balloons drifting over our house juxtaposed against the sound of race engines in the distance. It was a longtime dream to grow up and play on that track. But I've grown to almost dislike the whole venue, between the difficulty in getting in/out, the price, and the noise limitations. The draw, to me and many I know, has largely been the (national and international) prestige of the track. To share an experience that the best in the world compete at, which you can't really do at a Football/Baseball Stadium or Basketball Colosseum. Sadly, as the prominence dies down, so does the willingness to deal with the hoops you have to jump through in order to participate at it.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #22
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Hildi
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
So your saying that if poor people lived there we would not have the sound restrictions and more racing!???
IME, NIMBY is blind to the amount of money you make. Everyone is going to bitch and moan regardless.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #23
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
IME, NIMBY is blind to the amount of money you make. Everyone is going to bitch and moan regardless.
Could be, but the politicians are more likely to listen to people with money
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #24
cencalballer
Veteran

Motorcycles: all of them
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
One of the (many) reasons that the rules are ridiculous: You can drive these cars from the showroom floor to the track, legally, and get black flagged:

Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang GT350
Nissan GTR (R34)
Ferrari 458
Ferrari F430
Audi R8
Lamborghini Huracan
It's worse than that. Most bikes won't pass without modification, A stock S2000, nsx etc. won't pass and quite frankly at this point I'm not sure what will?
cencalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #25
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
As I said in the Indy Car thread in the sink the current Board of Supervisors is a little friendlier to the track than the previous Board was.

Dave Potter, the main critic of SCRAMP/Laguna Seca, a friend of Mike Weaver, and the mover behind an attempt to hand control of track operations to NASCAR, lost (surprisingly) his re-election bid to the Board in 2016. His actions against Laguna Seca & SCRAMP were a huge part of that loss. Potter is now mayor of Carmel by the Sea.

When NASCAR didn't want anything to do with running the track it was rather eye opening to the County, as well as the reports like this one on the economic impact.

Last edited by Johndicezx9; 02-11-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Johndicezx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #26
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by cencalballer View Post
It's worse than that. Most bikes won't pass without modification, A stock S2000, nsx etc. won't pass and quite frankly at this point I'm not sure what will?
Idk man, my R1 with aftermarket exhaust + DB killers (still significantly louder than stock) went through a whole day at Laguna Seca no problems... didn't get flagged once. Absolute worst case is you have to lift off through one small section of the track, but it's not like it's a race anyway.
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #27
MysterYvil
On a break

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndicezx9 View Post
As I said in the Indy Car thread in the sink the current Board of Supervisors is a little friendlier to the track than the previous Board was.

Dave Potter, the main critic of SCRAMP/Laguna Seca, a friend of Mike Weaver, and the mover behind an attempt to hand control of track operations to NASCAR, lost (surprisingly) his re-election bid to the Board in 2016. His actions against Laguna Seca & SCRAMP were a huge part of that loss. Potter is now mayor of Carmel by the Sea.

When NASCAR didn't want anything to do with running the track it was rather eye opening to the County, as well as the reports like this one on the economic impact.
Dave Potter is another perfect example of a money-grubbing politician who has never had a real job.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
"But the noise! The noise!" - Rich folks buying properties near a known, pre-existing, loud venue.
Easy to say that, but it massively oversimplifies the reality. The reality is that the land surrounding the track was privately owned, intended to eventually be developed and subject to the same protections an existing residential community would have. The claim is that the original sound studies were flawed and dramatically underestimated the noise impact on the surrounding properties.

I love Laguna, but the argument that it's just a few rich people who built next to the airport and complained is nonsense. And, anyone who has spent any time in the general area, even 3-5 miles away, on an unrestricted noise day will tell you that the sound really carries through the hills and it's not exactly pleasant. The other thing that's causing problems is that, as car track days have grown in popularity, so has the noise, because the cars can cheat the sound check at Laguna very easily and run most of their lap with full exhaust. And they are doing it.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #29
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Dave Potter is another perfect example of a money-grubbing politician who has never had a real job.
And his competitor in the mayoral election was Steve Dallas, a low life in the vein of the fictional Steve Dallas. A real Sophie's choice.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post

Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang GT350
Nissan GTR (R34)
Ferrari 458
Ferrari F430
Audi R8
Lamborghini Huracan

I used to live near the track, in Corral De Tierra, about a mile away as the crow flies.
And for a couple hundred bucks you can put a GPS driven solenoid that closes the exhaust as you pass the sound booth and pass in just about any of those cars. Guys are driving GT3s and RSs at Laguna without any problem. GPS and exhaust redirects.