Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #16
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
I think Iíve settled on a Ď17 Husky fe501. As usual thanks so much for the help brah.
Sick bike.
Hopefully the mods and upgrades I mentioned in the other "I want a bike" thread are done.
- real dirt tires, intake and exhaust unplugged, ideally jd tuner, suspension for your weight (as you aren't 160#), 14/50 or 52 gearing, etc.

Go rip some dirt!
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Norcalslowpoke
Veteran

Motorcycles: Moto Guzzi V7 Sport clone, Beta 520rs
Name:
To add to the choir and to help others down the road:

A few years back I replaced my 07 TE510 with a barely used 14 Beta 520rs (498cc) for a do everything (light dual sport, trail, Baja) bike. Never, ever, ever looked back. I don't miss the Husky at all.

Everything OF4i said about the Husky matches my experience. At the time it was the lightest used plated dirt bike I could find and I bought it without much research or even riding one... Great motor (except vibes/close tranny ratios), crap forks. I never gelled with the handling (non expert rider). It was reliable, never let me down except! losing the water pump impeller nut and had to replace piston due to overheating.

Oh...and always had issues with clutch drag on that bike...finally nearly fixed it when I sold it.

The newer KTM's and Beta's get stellar reviews and have lots of happy riders.

Andrew,who has ridden the 501 and now owns a 350 Husky, says go smaller for mostly trail riding.

I'm hoping to swing purchasing a 2 stroke Beta (250/300) for pure trail riding and keeping my well set up Beta 520 for Sheetiron, dual sport, Baja, LAB2V, light adv, buddy trail bike.

Italian Huskies..just not worth the hassle from my experience.

Best of luck

Cheers

Last edited by Norcalslowpoke; 02-19-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Norcalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #18
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalslowpoke View Post
To add to the choir and to help others down the road:

A few years back I replaced my 07 TE510 with a barely used 14 Beta 520rs (498cc) for a do everything (light dual sport, trail, Baja) bike. Never, ever, ever looked back. I don't miss the Husky at all.

Everything OF4i said about the Husky matches my experience. At the time it was the lightest used plated dirt bike I could find and I bought it without much research or even riding one... Great motor (except vibes/close tranny ratios), crap forks. I never gelled with the handling (non expert rider). It was reliable, never let me down except! losing the water pump impeller nut and had to replace piston due to overheating.

Oh...and always had issues with clutch drag on that bike...finally nearly fixed it when I sold it.

The newer KTM's and Beta's get stellar reviews and have lots of happy riders.

Andrew,who has ridden the 501 and now owns a 350 Husky, says go smaller for mostly trail riding.

I'm hoping to swing purchasing a 2 stroke Beta (250/300) for pure trail riding and keeping my well set up Beta 520 for Sheetiron, dual sport, Baja, LAB2V, light adv, buddy trail bike.

Italian Huskies..just not worth the hassle from my experience.

Best of luck

Cheers
I second the 350 plated 4T. Seriously underrated. I prefer the 2T for anything non-dual sport related but if I needed something to cover some range or dual sport, I wouldn't look past the 350 (coming from a previous owner of a 450).
Old 02-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #19
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
You might just check out the Beta 500. Why? The Betas are still coming in as boutique manufacturers and don't get stuck with the same standards as the Husky.
They come stock with Voyager GPS instrument cluster, spark arrester and don't need to be piped and mapped to deliver performance.

We have a 500 and a 430 at home. Personally I think the 430 is more vesitile than the 500 and can deal with slow speed stuff without flaming out.

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Interesting that the big bore version is more likely to flame out, I'd have expected a little more torque. Wonder if it's just meh fueling or what.

Do you know if they changed anything other than bore? Valve sizes etc.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #21
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I think they're mapped differently. I know some of the KTM folk experience the same thing on the large bore pumpkins.

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote