Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Shoei’s IT-HT Equipped With HUD Will Debut 2020

https://www.webbikeworld.com/shoeis-...ll-debut-2020/
Quote:

At the last CES, NS West and Shoei teamed up to bring a unique smart helmet with a head-up display (HUD) called the IT-HT. Shoei just confirmed it. Japan Today reported that the helmet manufacturer will produce the IT-HT and begin selling it in Spring of 2020.
The price of the helmet has not yet been determined. Japan Today reported NS West estimated the price around ¥120,000 to 150,000 (about $1,100 to $1,300).
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
please be good, please be good, please be good!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
I know I'm old but these really don't interest me at all, don't understand the appeal.
All I can think of is all the cool stuff I could do to my bikes with that money.
Admittedly, the long trail of failed corpses ahead of it may add to my ambivalence.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
mantistobogn

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ-07 16 Striple RX
Name: Dino
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
I know I'm old but these really don't interest me at all, don't understand the appeal.
All I can think of is all the cool stuff I could do to my bikes with that money.
Admittedly, the long trail of failed corpses ahead of it may add to my ambivalence.
A few bikes that I've ridden have the dash in a very non-ergonomic position where's it's completely out of line of sight. To be able to get this information in front of me without having to glance down every few seconds and not resort to installing a dash bracket would be very useful for me.
mantistobogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
dash info is just distraction from what you should really be paying attention, like the car turning left in front of you or the truck trying to dive into a gap in the split
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash Allen View Post
dash info is just distraction from what you should really be paying attention, like the car turning left in front of you or the truck trying to dive into a gap in the split
Seriously ^^^^^ This
I peek at my tach periodically but that's about it.
Everything I've learned on the track and the street tells me if it's not in my line of sight and coming at me it's pretty much useless information.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
A tach might be one of the most overrated pieces of equipment on a bike or car. On my bike I hardly ever notice it. In my car I'm pretty sure I've never needed to look at it while driving. Probably wouldn't miss it on either vehicle if it stopped working.
Sure there's other info being displayed besides rpm.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:35 PM   #8
mantistobogn

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ-07 16 Striple RX
Name: Dino
I couldn't care less about the tach but certain situations require a quick glance to make sure you're not speeding (school zone for example) or a sticky neutral.
mantistobogn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
jacob11379
jacob11379

Motorcycles: Track 05 GSXR1000, Track 13 ZX10R, Street 07 R1
Name: jacob
I purchased a vehicle with heads up display. don't think I ever looked at the dash again except to check fuel.
jacob11379 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
I don't understand the distraction argument. Is the display on the STriple 765 or the SuperDuke lambasted as a distraction? (I've never heard either to be... and they're busier than the helmet HUD would be). At least with a HUD one never has to avert their head from the road. Additionally, while one's focus may be on the data, their peripheral vision is better angled to pickup on their surroundings than when looking down at the dash. Taping a piece of paper with directions to the tank is generally accepted and that forces the rider to look away from the road entirely. It could be argued, "they shouldn't be looking at it while moving!" Maybe true, however, if there's no stops, the rider isn't likely to pull over to review every turn, so, again, put the info where they should be looking anyway. Ideally, I would argue that the HUD is button activated on the handlebars.... it's hidden unless the rider pushes the button, requesting the helmet show the HUD (saving battery life in the process)

The distractions are more about the rider than the gear. People generally can navigate just fine in their cars with an entire entertainment system practically directly in their line of sight... once the rider is used to the helmet, it will blend with the background in short order. I understand that not everyone will use a HUD responsibly, but, most of those are the same riders that shouldn't be riding in the first place. (To that end, thank you, CMSP, for being at least one filter for people that shouldn't be allowed to ride. The MSF was more of a consumer creator for pushing more customers into the industry)

" But it's still a distraction!1!!1! " People will find ways to put information at their fingertips one way or another. Either via a phone/tablet on a mount, paper on the tank, or a fancy info touch screen like on the Big Harleys. A quality helmet with real R&D into minimizing the danger of data presentation is far preferable to most alternatives. Decrying it as an added distraction won't change its adoption.

While I'll probably never own one, I think this is a step in the right direction and am excited to try one out.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #11
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Cool helmet, just not for me....
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
Their technology will have the HUD displayed optically a decent distance away vs. right in your face. Should be pretty freaking cool when it lands.
FourThreeSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Its a distraction from what you should be paying attention. Same as a dash, same as a phone, same as printed directions. There shouldn’t be cup holders or stereos in cars either. All serve to distract from what you should be paying attention. One distraction is not a excuse for another.
Smash Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #14
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
So nice that folks can anticipate spending that kind of cash for a protective device with a limited lifetime.
3 to 5 years wearing and 7 years from date of manufacture is what most helmet manufacturers rate the life of their helmets.
Or one good solid drop or minor crash.

The tech is cool.
Too much for a limited lifetime though.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
So nice that folks can anticipate spending that kind of cash for a protective device with a limited lifetime.
3 to 5 years wearing and 7 years from date of manufacture is what most helmet manufacturers rate the life of their helmets.
Or one good solid drop or minor crash.

The tech is cool.
Too much for a limited lifetime though.
AGV Pista, Arai Corsair, Shuberth SR2, etc are all knocking on the door of that price range (and their prices are largely cosmetically driven). Plus, it might even be cheaper if you factor in the cost of a standalone GPS, mount, comm unit, etc.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote