Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #16
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
I’ve been using the TR8(front)-244(rear) on my KLX 250. No complaints, for dirt and street use.
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM   #17
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Also...
Most all of the GoldenTyre and Motoz tires are DOT approved.

I've got the Goldentyre Fatty on the front of my 450EXC and it seemed to do really well in Death Valley last year. Lot's of sand out there. Also encountered mud on Hunter Mtn and I felt the tire did very very well there.
I've got the Motoz Tractionator Desert H-T on the rear and it's tread pattern is very good in sand and mud. Plus it's a hard compound so wears well.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Kameron808
Custom User Title

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 1967 CT90
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
Same tire, you didnt get an inferior product.
Ummm. Inferior to what???
Kameron808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:45 AM   #19
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameron808 View Post
Ummm. Inferior to what???
To one labeled "Shinko".
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #20
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I just ordered a set of Shinko 244 dual sport tires and they don't say Shinko on them, they say Golden Boy. Made in Korea. One was manufactured a year ago and one a few months before that.

Are they actually the same thing, or did I the company I ordered them from send me an inferior product?
Oh boy Golden Boys. Worse tire ever my least favorite tire I ran on the TAT. I only bought it because I had to. It's worse than the Kenda which I don't like either. But yeah they are Shinko tires. I used to like those type of tires but despise them now, the Kenda had no traction at the Tail of the Dragon and the front Golden Boy sucks at everything. Maybe if you are using it as a trials tire because that's kind of what they are.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-14-2019 at 12:39 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #21
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesOmega View Post
Worse tire ever...
Even if they're bad, I'll hardly consider them a waste of money, since they were so cheap - under a hundred bucks for the pair shipped to my door.

I'll have to wait a few months to find out how they work on the street, since that's what I bought them for. But they'll also see dirt road duty. They're replacing Shinko 705 tires which work well on the street, but not good enough off road. I have other wheels with D606 tires for more serious dirt riding.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #22
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
I would prefer to have Golden Boy than Shinkos.
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #23
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Even if they're bad, I'll hardly consider them a waste of money, since they were so cheap - under a hundred bucks for the pair shipped to my door.

I'll have to wait a few months to find out how they work on the street, since that's what I bought them for. But they'll also see dirt road duty. They're replacing Shinko 705 tires which work well on the street, but good enough off road. I have other wheels with D606 tires for more serious dirt riding.
At that price point I'd run them on the street too. I assume this is for the XR650L. I ran through two sets of a very similar tire on the XR, the Kenda K270. They seem to look just like the Shinnko 244 Golden Boy tire.

Like you, I didnt choose them for their expected offroad performance. Bought because they were cheap, round, and expected they would last longer than any real knobby tire on the pavement.

Folks like to split hairs and argue about the finer performance characteristics of these kind of tires, which I think is pretty silly in this tire category honestly. Like always, offroad its about the rider not the gear (in this narrow tire category.) If you want knobby performance, you buy a real knobby like you already know with your 606's.

I dont know if the Shinko will be as sensitive to pressure on road as the similar Kenda was, but on the pavement it really preferred to be set closer to 30lbs or the rear knobs would chunk in short order and overall feel was rather spongy like the tires were rolling over on the rim when pushed. 30lbs front and rear on the pavement firmed it all up and I got excellent mileage out of the second set of them.

I credit SFMCJohn with that bit of knowledge.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 02-15-2019 at 12:48 AM..
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 AM   #24
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
They're ok on the road I guess. I had a low side in the rain on asphalt with the rear Kenda 270 which is pretty much the Kenda equivalent of the Golden Boys. I have NEVER liked the front Kenda 270 and the Golden Boy front is just as bad. Also like I mentioned I ran the Kenda 270 on the dragon and it was losing traction and you can feel the knobs flex.

If your looking for a cheap do it all adventure bike tire my tire of choice is Shinko 804/805 there's no tire I trust more than those for adventure riding, except in maybe lots of mud... It's like a cheaper longer lasting TKC80. They wear better compared to a more knobby tire also.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-15-2019 at 05:19 AM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 AM   #25
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
I dont know if the Shinko will be as sensitive to pressure on road as the similar Kenda was, but on the pavement it really preferred to be set closer to 30lbs or the rear knobs would chunk in short order and overall feel was rather spongy like the tires were rolling over on the rim when pushed. 30lbs front and rear on the pavement firmed it all up and I got excellent mileage out of the second set of them.
I've always run about 33/36 front/rear on the XR for street riding. I'll drop the pressure to about 15 off road, then air them back up when I get back to pavement. Honda recommends 22 psi front and rear in the owner's manual for all riding, but I would only use that if there is a lot of mixed dirt/pavement.

And after I wear through this set of 244's, I'll have one more data point on tires that I've actually experienced. If I like them, I'll get some more, if I don't I'll try something else.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:18 AM   #26
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
Quote:
If your looking for a cheap do it all adventure bike tire my tire of choice is Shinko 804/805 there's no tire I trust more than those for adventure riding, except in maybe lots of mud... It's like a cheaper longer lasting TKC80. They wear better compared to a more knobby tire also.
Hmmmm…
Interesting that you would mention the 805's.
In seeking a set of knob's for the 950 most of what I read (ADVrider) is the 805 rear and the 606 up front, specifically for DV area riding.
I'll find out as I have a set of these sitting at the shop to be mounted.
They'll be exercised in Death Valley in March.
I'm sure they'll feel much better off road than the Pirelli MT90AT's, which have surprised me in dirt (both good & bad) with lowered pressure. That's really the only tire I've run on the 950, until now.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #27
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
Hmmmm…
Interesting that you would mention the 805's.
In seeking a set of knob's for the 950 most of what I read (ADVrider) is the 805 rear and the 606 up front, specifically for DV area riding.
I've ridden with a guy on a 990 Adv that had 804/805 tires. One of those guys who rides like it's just a big dirt bike (I'm not that good). They're supposed to behave pretty much the same as the TKC-80's that I currently have on my 1090R. I'll be replacing the rear with an 805 as soon as I wear it down a couple of more millimeters.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:24 AM   #28
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

As I'm about to install the front tire I look for the directional arrows to make sure I don't put it on backwards and there aren't any. This is the first bi-directional tire I've seen in a long, long time. Now to see if I can install both without pinching a tube.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #29
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, KTM 300, Tiger 800, KTM 500
Name: Wiles
Quote:
They're ok on the road I guess. I had a low side in the rain on asphalt with the rear Kenda 270 which is pretty much the Kenda equivalent of the Golden Boys....
It was definitely the tire's fault.
AFM #77
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:51 AM   #30
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
I used a 1/2 worn Kenda/Golden Boy 244 in Baja. Deep sand was a bit sluggish, but was fine otherwise. My bike is low powered, so YMMV
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote