wilit
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '01 SV650S '01 WR250F
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
https://www.dsarms.com/p-17100-dsa-s...ar-hammer.aspx

considering ordering one of those, thoughts?
Neat! I wish I had built the FAL from the kit I had many years ago. Seem like cool rifles.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #29207
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: '14 F800GS
Can you still build ARs in this state?

Thinking of building a fixed mag AR-15, just not sure if it's allowed and what the legalities are around it. As far as I've been able to understand, it will need to be given a serial number and registered.

Anything else to it? Can I just go on line and start shopping?

Am I better off going to my LGS and buying something and build off that platform?
RightCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #29208
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
"build" meaning from 80%? Yes, you need to get a serial from the state first.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #29209
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
You can also build one from a stripped lower, the lower is the "rifle" that you register and wait for. (Register as in how everything else (pistols, rifles, shotguns, flintlocks, slingshots, buwwets, bb's, nerf guns) is registered, not register as in AW registration.)
#69 #45
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #29210
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Quote:
"Build", meaning buying parts off the shelf and assembling.

I assume if I buy a lower, I'd have to go through a FFL? But everything thing else seems I could get shipped to my house?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #29211
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Name:
the lower is registered when you buy it, everything else goes to your house

no additional registration is required other than when you buy the lower
Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #29212
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Any suggestions for a shop with good lower selection/other AR bits locally? Within an hour drive from Alameda would be ideal.

If not, is my best bet special ordering from a LGS or using one to handle the transfer from an online purchase?

From the shop I've frequented as of late, they don't seem too fond on losing a sale and tend to give a bit of a vibe for that sorta stuff. Maybe there's another shop more friendly to such things?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #29213
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Name:
I've always just bought the lower in store and then everything else online. Aero makes good lowers.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #29214
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: No Mo 1998 S3 Buell No Mo 900SS
Name: Ken
Can stripped lowers be sold in CA from one resident to another (through LGS of course, with all paperwork)?

I recall, although I may be wrong, that after a certain date no "assault weapon" - I hate even typing that stupid phrase - can be re-sold.

If not in CA, could the lower be sold to an individual out of state - again, going through their LGS.

I know lowers can be bought dirt-cheap, but someone asked me this today.
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #29215
Inkman
Not so grizzled.

Motorcycles: Gone.
Name: Kowalski
If i wanted more lowers, i'd drive over to Roman's place, pay for em and be back in 10 days to pick up. Yes, it is that easy.

Al
Inkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #29216
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ss View Post
Can stripped lowers be sold in CA from one resident to another (through LGS of course, with all paperwork)?

I recall, although I may be wrong, that after a certain date no "assault weapon" - I hate even typing that stupid phrase - can be re-sold.

If not in CA, could the lower be sold to an individual out of state - again, going through their LGS.

lowers aren't AWs so they transfer like any firearm
Old 02-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #29217
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ss View Post

Lowers aren't assault weapons. They don't have any of the features that identify as an assault weapon.

They're just the singular piece of a completed firearm that has the serial no and is singularly considered the "gun" part, vs the other parts that go in to firearms. Thus it's the controlled part (i.e. waiting period, registration, etc.).

The only vague part not clear to me is when/where you have to declare whether you're creating a pistol or a rifle. You probably have to state when you purchase and register the lower.

Once purchased, it's on you to not convert it in to a illegal California Assault Weapon, similarly to how you can't do similarly to a, say, Mini-14.
#69 #45
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #29218
RightCoastBias
F8TRED

Contributor ++++

Thanks for the info, gents.

I've owned a few nice ARs in my day, but I've never built one and I've not owned one in CA. Sold the few I had when I moved back west 7ish years ago.

This will be my first build, and I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm likely going fixed mag and will use something like the Patriot Pin.

With so many folks making AR parts these days, how does one discern what is quality? The ARs I've had were bought off the shelf DD and Spike's. They went bang everytime and didn't have any major issues, but they each only saw 2-3k rounds through them in a few years of ownership.

I'm looking to build a reliable all around platform that I can use for plinking out on BLM, punching paper at the range and some defensive rifle courses.

I don't need (can't) to punch 1/4" holes at 600 yards and I want to keep the build around 1k, +/- $200. Closer to the "-" the better.

I like the Magpul stuff I have for other firearms and dig their M-Lok stuff, so I'd like to end up with a handguard by them, or someone that licenses it.

Not sure on barrel length yet, thinking 16.5" or 18.5". Any input there, as well?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #29219
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
I have a frakengun that I built the lower is some off brand lower with a generic parts kit and a RRA two stage trigger. I bought a Surplus Arms and Ammo upper that has a black hole weaponry barrel with a 1:8 twist and mid gas. It is a soft shooting accurate piece of crap that I love and goes bang every time. I haven't done any classes with it so don't know if it will hold up to abuse but for plinking and occasional mag dumps it works great.

I got the 1:8 twist because it is supposed to be a happy medium twist for 5.56 bullets of many weights. I like mid-length gas because it is easy to tune and is not as harsh on the parts as carbine in my opinion. I also liked BHW barrels as they have a good rep as being accurate and it shoots better than I aim.

If it was a duty weapon I would maybe go for a bigger name brand like BCM or something but I do trust that it will go bang when I pull the trigger so take that for what it's worth.

I just got a 10.5" upper from palmetto that I have not had time to go out and put some rounds through but I hope to do it sometime this year once I get caught up on all the honey do's I have.

If you really want to have some fun you should get a 9mm upper and adapter or 22lr adapters for your rifle. So much fun and way cheap to shoot.

I giggle when I shoot my 9mm upper with a suppressor and 147gr subs it is so freaking quiet. I mean like Hollywood level quiet. makes me want to get a 300BO upper and put a can on it as well but really don't have a need for the 300BO. I can justify the 9mm because I can shoot PCC class at my USPSA matches but have to loose the can because they need the noise from the shot to work the timer from what I am told.

Last edited by Sharxfan; 02-07-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 AM   #29220
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Hey NorCal I had forgotten about the 300 vs. 458 but I did get two hits on my thread in the other forum. I think this post sums it up the best. The guy that posted this is very heavy into wildcats and tries almost every new cartridge that comes so I believe he has a bunch of good knowledge. Hope it helps.

Well if you are comparing subsonic rounds there is no difference in trajectory between the two rounds or the barrel lengths. I you are talking supersonic, they both have limited range and don't have great ballistics but any calculator can show that. But the 300BO is not comparable to the 458 when considering terminal performance. My 300BO is anemic.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote