BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
How to ride like a pro moto test rider

Great article about the mindset of someone who rides bikes for a living- a pro motorcycle test rider. He makes many great points about how to think about your riding, so you can focus on enjoying the ride safely and still have fun. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Food for thought. (I agree with everything he says). https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advic...a-road-tester/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01B133F0-6D8D-47BC-B460-69E9C34E17FF.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	544608  
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: Zero SR, Mana GT
Name: Alexandru
He recommends off-throttle cornering but I hope he doesn't mean past the apex, too. That would leave the suspension unladen and wash the front if you have to flick it in the other direction for avoidance.

Riding in the UK and civilized parts of Europe feels 100 times safer due to them not handing out driving licenses like in the USA.
dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
ThinkFast
Live Long

Motorcycles: n. (pl), a two-wheeled device used for transportation as well as racing and other fun stuff.
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post
He recommends off-throttle cornering but I hope he doesn't mean past the apex, too. That would leave the suspension unladen and wash the front if you have to flick it in the other direction for avoidance.

Riding in the UK and civilized parts of Europe feels 100 times safer due to them not handing out driving licenses like in the USA.
Yes and yes. I wondered about the off the throttle thing, too. Then again, makes me wonder what “on the throttle” cornering would be. Anyway, I enjoyed reading his perspective. Nice to hear how it looks from someone who must clearly know what he’s doing out there; and can write intelligently about it.
ex-AFM #280
ThinkFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
self_moto
Veteran

Motorcycles: CBR600RR, STR, S1000RR
Name: Sergei
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post

Could you please elaborate on your thought? Why would it wash out the front? It's not like there is no weight on front... engine braking still a thing + lean angle unlikely over 35-40 degrees, which leaves plenty of room for adjustability.

My take on this - I think the safe rule for street (track as well) - is to get on throttle only when you're happy with bike placement, direction and speed - it could be before/on/after apex, or by other words - you define apex by your bike placement, direction and speed.
self_moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #5
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
I don't think "off-throttle cornering" means quite what it seems to mean. Maybe a better way for us Yanks to think of it is "off-throttle steering."

On a site called One Down, Two Up, I found an article, Technique: Turning on a closed throttle. I'm not generally recommending the guy as an expert; he seems to be a novice racer (at least at the time of publication). Rather, I'm just pointing out how they use the term in the UK:
There's a consistent difference between slower and faster riders: turning on a closed throttle. Watch any racer, fast guy or even a decent intermediate rider. They all do it - and so should you.

Imagine you're racing your equal - same bike, same braking distances and same bravery. How do you get around a corner quicker than them?

'Brake harder' is the usual go-to answer - and where I think a lot of people's progression halts.

Forgetting for a moment that I just said you and your equal have the same braking distances: braking really hard requires tonnes of feel and confidence in the front, and there's a hard limit to how hard you can brake - the rear will eventually lift.

A later turn in will mean you can also start braking later - even though the overall braking distance is the same. However, to achieve a later turn in you'll have to get the bike leant over faster.

Turning on a closed throttle will help you do both these things: lean the bike over faster and turn in later - and, as a bonus, with it comes a load of feel and confidence.
Basically, it follows Keith Code Superbike School practice.

I see four lights!
--Jean Luc Picard

A is A.
--John Galt
DataDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #6
SPEEDKRN
Veteran

Motorcycles: It depends :)
Name:
Check out Simon the racer turned Moto GP announcer’s YouTube channel for a better explanation of off throttle cornering skill
SPEEDKRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
flying_hun
Adverse Selection

AMA #: 281672
Mod Alumni
BARFie Winner 2010, 2014 & 2017
Contributor ++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Motorcycles: A hot red Italian named Sophia! Versys - three of 'em!
Name:
FWIW, I think what Neeves means by off-throttle is simply initiating the turn before re-opening the throttle. This is actually explored in one of the CMSP range exercises where students are encouraged to try both completing their braking, initiating the turn, then re-opening the throttle, as well as changing the sequence by completing braking, re-opening the throttle, then initiating the turn.

I watched all of the videos as they came up on youtube, and I didn't here him advocate keeping the throttle closed through the turn, only delaying it until after the turn has been initiated.

BARF Terms of Service
TheFlyinghun Blog
Tenth Annual BARF Fall Rally - Hawthorne

Quote:
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
- Dalai Lama
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #8
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
+1 to the Hun.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote