Old 07-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #466
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
My knife fighting technique is running away
This is the technique recommended by 5 out of 5 self defense professionals.

The old adage is that in a knife fight, the loser goes to the graveyard and the winner goes to the emergency room.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #467
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
4/5 defense amateurs also recommend it

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:44 PM   #468
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Quote:
4/5 defense amateurs also recommend it

The fifth guy died.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #469
HappyHighwayman
Warning: Do Not Engage

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Shockingly stabbed to death

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #470
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Work: BMW R1250RT-P Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entoptic View Post
Bojangle I got a quick question.

https://shivworkspg.com/product/shivworks-clinch-pick/

if kept on the belt at either the 10 or 2 position. If my shirt goes over it I assume that is considered concealed but what is the charge if any and would cops actually write me up? Is that an arrested offense or would I have to appear in court?
It meets the definition of a dirk or dagger.

Quote:
PC 16470.
As used in this part, “dirk” or “dagger” means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 21510, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position.
It is a wobbler. Imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 means it is a felony no longer eligible for state prison exposure due to AB 109. Generally, most wobblers are handled like felonies by the arresting officer. So that would mean arrest and booking into county jail. Of course, the knife would be collected as evidence.

Quote:
PC 21310.
Except as provided in Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who carries concealed upon the person any dirk or dagger is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.
Whether or not one would get caught, or whether or not an officer might use spirit of the law discretion is anyone's guess. To be on the safe side, I'd make sure nothing is covering it.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:37 PM   #471
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
Quote:
Just got it, it's not slippery, and nothing wet.
Abacinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:39 PM   #472
KrustyKruser
El Chingon

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2013 Zero DS 13.0 Enginecycles: DucAudi and Buell
Name:
Gosh that dirk/dagger section confuses me. As what I understand to be a dirk or dagger is a blade sharpened ned on both sides and meeting at a point at the end of the blade. The dirk is basically the same thing but a style that came from scotland. I wouldn’t have considered that to be either of those. How can someone carry a KA bar knife and not get hit with this section but the knife linked to would be in violation? Is it the concealed issue? Wouldn’t that be a different section?

Just cause your piece is at the gunsmith, it doesn't mean you're not a gunfighter. You need a back-up piece. ↔ russ69
KrustyKruser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 04:23 PM   #473
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Work: BMW R1250RT-P Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKruser View Post
Gosh that dirk/dagger section confuses me. As what I understand to be a dirk or dagger is a blade sharpened ned on both sides and meeting at a point at the end of the blade. The dirk is basically the same thing but a style that came from scotland. I wouldn’t have considered that to be either of those. How can someone carry a KA bar knife and not get hit with this section but the knife linked to would be in violation? Is it the concealed issue? Wouldn’t that be a different section?
In California, it is illegal to conceal a dirk or dagger on one's person. They are not illegal to own or possess. It basically includes anything concealed that has a fixed (or locked open) blade, that comes to a point, and is capable of being used as a stabbing instrument.

Folding knives need to be carried in the closed position, if concealed. Fixed blade knives can be carried openly, like in a sheath exposed on a belt.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
Old 07-31-2021, 05:07 PM   #474
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
This Kickstarter looks interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...es/description
It took five months, but I finally took delivery at the beginning of July. Very nice quality folder. Opens really smoothly. I opted for the grey color option.

Old 07-31-2021, 06:24 PM   #475
lizard
Veteran

Motorcycles: <-- I'd give them up forever if I could have Arnold for 1 more year
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxumino View Post
As used in this part, “switchblade knife” means a knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife, or any other similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by any type of mechanism whatsoever. “Switchblade knife” does not include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade, or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.

I've found very few knifes that can't be open with a flick of the wrist. Purchased a Leatherman free K2, I can open it faster than the kersahw with assist.

In case some have missed this, 2 inch length is the threshold.

Just call me... "Dan"

The best thing about a man is his dog" - French Proverb

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" - The Shawshank Redemption

lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:05 PM   #476
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
My knife fighting technique is running away
Your training has shown you the 2nd best method of defense against a knife attack, well done, I advise you to continue that technique.

However, things also get very slippery if you are trying to clean any kind of meat with it. Typically that is a rule I have for any kind of carry knife, if I think I will have a hard time cleaning small game with it, I will pass.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:17 PM   #477
Entoptic
Red Power!

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: MV Agusta Brutale Dragster RR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Whacker View Post
This is the technique recommended by 5 out of 5 self defense professionals.

The old adage is that in a knife fight, the loser goes to the graveyard and the winner goes to the emergency room.
As someone that teaches edge blade weapons that is 100% correct. Just run away and live to tell the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
It meets the definition of a dirk or dagger.

It is a wobbler. Imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 means it is a felony no longer eligible for state prison exposure due to AB 109. Generally, most wobblers are handled like felonies by the arresting officer. So that would mean arrest and booking into county jail. Of course, the knife would be collected as evidence.

Whether or not one would get caught, or whether or not an officer might use spirit of the law discretion is anyone's guess. To be on the safe side, I'd make sure nothing is covering it.
Man our laws are so silly. I can carry a massive fixed blade on my leg but carry a 4” blade concealed and it’s the end of the world.

Thank you for the clear explanation.
Old 08-01-2021, 01:50 AM   #478
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entoptic View Post
As someone that teaches edge blade weapons that is 100% correct. Just run away and live to tell the story.

Man our laws are so silly. I can carry a massive fixed blade on my leg but carry a 4” blade concealed and it’s the end of the world.

Thank you for the clear explanation.
It has always been this way in CA. You can walk around with a katana on your back, which was perfectly legal, but if you carry a balisong, boom, Jail.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #479
lizard
Veteran

Motorcycles: <-- I'd give them up forever if I could have Arnold for 1 more year
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
It has always been this way in CA. You can walk around with a katana on your back, which was perfectly legal, but if you carry a balisong, boom, Jail.

Was there a specific crime that led to the outlawing of balisongs and nunchaku sticks?

Just call me... "Dan"

The best thing about a man is his dog" - French Proverb

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'" - The Shawshank Redemption

lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #480
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: BB F750-GS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
However, things also get very slippery if you are trying to clean any kind of meat with it. Typically that is a rule I have for any kind of carry knife, if I think I will have a hard time cleaning small game with it, I will pass.
Honestly, knives are a form of jewelry, like watches.

Even if you don't display it everywhere like a watch, lots of folks appreciate a nice looking knife, even if it's just used to open boxes.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote