BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Eric22's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Novato
Motorcycles: Ninja 250, FZR 600, GSX-R 600, r6 50th, rc-51, Husky 610, 954rr, currently TL1000r
Name: Eric

Can you get a California plate for a xr50? Is it possible???? This would be a great mini .
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Lake Tahoe
Motorcycles: YSR 50, NSR 50, XJ650, XR650R, Sportster 1200S
Here is the link on ADV for the discussion:

Short answer is yes, you can get a plate for it. Call the Vermont DMV for the sales tax and registration price, because they have been changed since the above thread went live, and have not been updated on the forms you download.

You can put your CA address on all the forms, you don't really need any connection to Vermont, you also do not need to do the VIN verification. Send them a check, wait a bit, if they cash it you will get a Vermont plate and registration in the mail.

After that it all depends on how lucky you can get at CA DMV. Vermont does not issue titles for lower CC bikes, I think they only do it for 400cc or above. If you nicely explain that and the DMV person is having a nice day, you may just be able to get it titled and plated. You'd then have to get a Baja Designs kit on it, and any cop worth their salt will pull you over and find a way to ticket you until CHP flags your VIN.
thatcoolguyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Sergeant Jackrum
Roadstergal's Avatar
Contributor ++++++++++++4%

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Motorcycles: 2021 MT-07
Name: Looney

Eligibility for on-highway registration

To be eligible for on-highway registration, 1978 year model and newer off-highway vehicles with an engine size of 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or larger must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use.

Exception: 2005 year model or older motorcycles with an engine size of 50 cc or less are exempt from the emission label requirements.
Worth a go.
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'
Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
2fast 2live 2young 2die
augustiron's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Truckee SF Reno
Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
who is that dude on BARF with all the trick and plated 50s? Brad something? he would know...
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.