Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 11:41 AM   #16
Beanzy
Wind free

Motorcycles: Huh?
Name:
Thanks, Robert. Great info.

"Killing people is a bad habit." -- Lady Matsuta to Sanjuro.
Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
mark665

Motorcycles: Racetrack
Name:
Added lean angle late in the corner to correct for an issue with bike placement. This would fall under 'rushing corner entry'. If you had slowed more up the hill, you would have been fine.
mark665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #18
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
you can hear that his rpms were constant once his right lean angle was set, and for at least 1 full second before he crashed. at a minimum, his throttle was constant.

given the lean angle addition, his rpms probably should have risen a bit more. this suggests he was using too little throttle and actually slowing unintentionally.
With Rob here on what happened. Rear pivots around the front to the outside. Lost the rear due to levering it per Rob's comment(s).

I'll add: go walk the track and that turn specifically next time. Backing your video up to your first lap, at the point where you hit the ground there's several gouges in the pavement. That's a good clue there's a physical element to the track there. You're very tight to the inside curbing on lap 2. I can't tell if your rear wheel gets near the Grand Canyon between the track surface and the curbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post

all of the above means its a terrible idea to add more throttle while near the limits of traction. as FourSixThree said, you must first remove lean angle... then you can add throttle. doing so in the opposite order will put you on the ground 9 times out of 10.
And to add to G's and R's great advice: best to make sure the bike's going where you want it to go before taking away lean angle/ adding throttle.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020

Last edited by Holeshot; 12-10-2020 at 05:57 PM..
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:12 PM   #19
East Bay Blake
El Jefe

AMA #4141406

Motorcycles: Yes please
Name: Blake
Don’t beat yourself up too much. I was there late last year and one of the instructors did the same thing at the same spot. Wiped out his Daytona.
East Bay Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Words of Ken Hill wisdom:

Add lean angle, take away throttle.

Take away lean angle, add throttle.
Old 12-20-2020, 12:09 PM   #21
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
If it's any consolation, that exact spot is the only place I've crashed on that track on my S1000R. That's why I run my rearsets nice and high now.

I did the same as you- turned in a bit too late on the left, which set me up wrong for the off-camber right. As Dammy pointed out above, the key to the complex is getting that apex on the intro left correct and letting the right and second left sort themselves out naturally.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote