Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 11-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #61
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesKTM View Post
This thread reminded me to include a Class 2 mask in my bugout bag.

XT225 apocalypse ready
Still not enough if you get smoke in your eyes
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #62
Cincinnatus
Not-quite retired Army

AMA #: 2818353
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor ++!

Motorcycles: Screaming yellow 2006 BMW K1200R, baby!
Name: SweeperBot
Ford Expedition because the wife and dog aren't moto-friendly.

Yes to water, food, medical supplies, CERT, ham radio (KK6YGH), and several doses of Army combat lifesaver training, and other necessities. Several exit routes although home is generally "safe".

No, y'all are not invited to come over and stay, I'll be helping my neighbors.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - President John F. Kennedy, Democrat
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #63
JakesKTM
Veteran

Motorcycles: XT225
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Still not enough if you get smoke in your eyes
swim goggles? No ant-fire helmet

”The world needs to be changed. The inequality in this world is, to be honest with you, disgraceful.”
~ Elton John addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland and director of the IMF
JakesKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #64
Torpedo
C Group Reject

Gas, brake, turn, repeat.
Contributor

Motorcycles: Burnt
Name: Brett
Moto-go

I evacuated sometime between 9:00 am and 10:00 am and hit gridlock almost immediately. I was out of danger within 30 minutes or so but was stuck in traffic for around four hours. Not very many people evac'ed on bikes but those who did got out quick.

I have not seen any burnt bikes on the side of the road. Most bikes in Paradise look like:

https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2...752687056.html

In the aftermath, I'm darn glad to have my truck. I'm sad that all my bikes are gone but I'm happy that my dog and cats are alive.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #65
rrrdbw
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Gsxr 750, 2003 KTM 450 EXC- tarded, 2010 690 SMC, 2017 BMW R1200 GSA
Name: Sassy
My first post since the fire. I have the answer to this thread what to ride out of a fire, and what to ride into a fire. Apologies in advance if long winded.

Ride into a fire. 2017 R1200 GS adventure, full panniers and top case. It was a cold morning, but i decided to ride to work that day. Woke up 6am, saw some smoke, sky was a little yellowish. Heard on Radio that fire was 17 miles out. No warning text or radio warning. Didn't know my life would never be the same within a few hours. Left Paradise 7:30am, Kissed the fiance goodbye, locked the dogs(2) in the garage (2) inside house with 2 cats.

I get to Chico about 8am, as I pull off Freeway I see the massive mushroom dark cloud over Paradise. I go to work and I see reports of Paradise being evacuated. They mention zones, but no one knew what the f*cking zones meant. I jump back on BMW and head home. This is having the right tool for the job. If I would have drove a car, I would have never made it back to Paradise. Freeway was jammed packed of commuters trying to get back to Paradise. I have been in enough adventure rides to know to ride that BMW in dirt, gravel, emergency lanes and sidewalks. I pass CHP's and Firetrucks on way up. I get to Paradise and the main street into town was a parking lot. I jump on side walk and hit the side gravel roads to get home. I get home about 9am, neighborhood was still up but i see the fires in the background heading my way. My fiance also drove back home, but was stopped and turned around 2 blocks from the house. I called her to let her know was in the house, she was freaking out because all of our animals were at home locked in.

I packed backs, collected albums (cause thats what your suppose to get out) gather items that were very important. House papers, passports, pictures, thats inside our 30lb safe. I was not certain my house would burn down, I was more concerned of possible looters. I packed for maybe a 3 night camping trip. I went around the whole house and took picture of everything we owned. Picture of every room, every cabinet, inside cabinets, closets, for insurance purpose because I wasnt 100% positive the house would burn down.

I raked leaves around the property but they were falling faster than I could pick up, I cleaned roof 2 weeks prior but they were already filled with dead pine needles that were dry and fire hazards. I packed suitcases inside house with fiances stuff, suitcase with my daughters clothes and portable tool case which never made it out.

The dilemma!!! So much time to gather my things, yet I was very limited on space. I could not take my BMW back out, I had to prep her for the worst. I was torn in leaving her in the driveway or inside 1 of 2 garage. The driveway had trees all around that would fall on her. I rolled her into garage but decided to leave in driveway. I then had change of heart and put her in the garage. (Bad choice that will haunt me)

I had 4 dogs (90lb American Bulldog Pup, 45lb Border Collie, a Cheweenie and a Yorkie. 2 cats that were in crates. How the hell can I fit our life into a 2017 Subaru Outback? I had to make choices. Packed up the safe, some work clothes for me and Fiance and 2 year old small suitcase. By this time I knew my house would not survive. Huge embers were coming down everywhere, morning turned into midnight, popping sounds of trees going up in flames. The most telling tales were huge explosions of propane tanks exploding, very close. I was worried they will fall on me. I'm a former Marine used to explosions, these gave me flashbacks.

I am now convinced that our house with all our belongings will be history. I gathered up the firearms, which took alot of valuable space. I had to decide on a bike to take with me. I hooked up joe hauler, BMW was too big to carry on it, so it stays, the gixxer too big, it also stayed, 690SMC not running was also a casualty. I chose the KTM 450 EXC in Supermoto setup. I left all my gear (over 20 years of collected gears gone!!!) Ironically, I have a trailer in the garage that I was rewiring the night before and not in running condition that burnt up.Would have taken too long to prep.

11:45am i decide to get out, the houses behind me were already aflame. All my neighbors had left hours ago. I get the dogs into the car that was so heavily loaded that they barely had room to stand. The cat carriers took up alot of room. I pull out to main road (Pearson) I see that there was miles of cars in the direction of the fire that were stuck no where to go due to traffic and abandoned vehicles. People were running from their cars. I look back now and realize that some did not make it.

We were guided to side streets to get to Skyway, everything was already on fire, we were driving through flames. Eventually we made it to Skyway that was ablaze and down to Chico. I arrive in Chico close to 1pm to meet up with my family that made it out safely.

Everything we owned that i could not fit into Subaru is gone. Yes I have insurance, I am one of the fortunate one. It will take a very long time to even come close to normalcy again. I can't remember what that is anymore. I have flashbacks here and there. Will be a while till I get a new bike, yes I have insurance but, once you loose everything you find that you should have insured for more. I broke even on the 2017 BMW fully covered, but the others were liability only. I was able to save the KTM 450 but no gear with it. Gotta save up for gear again.

DAMN I MISS RIDING.

Anyone have gear they are not using for cheap?

Last edited by rrrdbw; 02-19-2019 at 04:23 PM..
rrrdbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #66
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
How big are you? I have some gear that I'd be willing to give you if it'll fit.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:08 PM   #67
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Post your sizes and gear will come. I may have some extra boots and and gloves.
Glad you and yours and all the things with heart beats made it out.

check ut the new Citybike.com

Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.

You go where you look!
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #68
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
MOTARD!

Best escape vehicle for Zombie Apocalypse. They cant kill you if you're nearly killing yourself while backing it in like a boss!
That. Just saw this thread. I have actually enabled a freind in the scenario. Exactly. He is safely off planet now.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #69
rrrdbw
Veteran

Motorcycles: 07 Gsxr 750, 2003 KTM 450 EXC- tarded, 2010 690 SMC, 2017 BMW R1200 GSA
Dam* , I didn't want to post about anything here cause i didn't want to ask for things. My family have been blessed with so much kindness and generosity. It brings me to tears every time. Like now.

Thank you all in advance.

* I wear a 54 euro- 44 US I guess- jacket
* 34 waist pants
* boots 9 1/2- 10
* gloves - large
* helmet - small

The KTM is covered sitting in blocks outside. * Anyone have spare cheap stand?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTM 450.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	517647  
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #70
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Pretty sure I have a jacket/pants or 2 piece that'll fit you. I have a rear stand you can have but spool only. Maybe some gloves too.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #71
thePUNISHER
RAMPAAAAAAGE!

AMA #3495698
Contributor + + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Name: Keith
I also have a rear stand, non-spool, you can have as well.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #72
AnotherKat750
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Too difficult to keep track, changes frequently.
Name: Ayan
I have thought about the scenario quite a bit as well. The most likely case is that I'm at work and family is 21 miles of commute away. Thats why I bring the moto to work. I will cut through traffic and get home. Then wife takes the cage with the kids and I ride along on the GS. At any point if we have to abandon the car, I can shuttle the kids back and forth on the moto hopefully or even do supply runs if needed. Having a moto handy during a disaster will be good I think.
AnotherKat750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #73
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
I know a few people who were living in Paradise on the day of.
3 of the families lost their homes, and one couple whose home survived. They are leaving as soon as they sell their home and moving back to Santa Rosa where they lived before that fire.

I lived in Montclair in 1991 and my house survived when everything else in the immediate area burned to ashes.

My neighborhood changed dramatically when homes were rebuilt, all monstrous, lot munching giants. I sold and moved to SF, as my feeling for my home town would never be the same. Even if you dont lose all you possess, catastrophic fires do something to you and the town where the disaster happens.

I have 2 helmets both large. One a lazer Monaco carbon, slight scuff on chin guard, and an RF800 white. I know they are over 5 years old, but for a temporary kid, not bad.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #74
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrdbw View Post
Dam* , I didn't want to post about anything here cause i didn't want to ask for things. My family have been blessed with so much kindness and generosity. It brings me to tears every time. Like now.

Thank you all in advance.

* I wear a 54 euro- 44 US I guess- jacket
* 34 waist pants
* boots 9 1/2- 10
* gloves - large
* helmet - small

The KTM is covered sitting in blocks outside. * Anyone have spare cheap stand?
All of my gear is too big, but I do have a cheap brand new Harbor Freight MX stand you may have. Its in Lake County, but I travel to Marin once a week. Yours free if we can figure out a way to conveniently get it to you. Shipping might be as much as they cost.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #75
rrrdbw
Veteran

I appreciate the help everyone. My fiance works in Fremont area and is there 3-4 days of the week. I will let her know that she might be picking up some things. Again thank you.

I want to stress I am one of the fortunate ones, I am very lucky to get my loved ones out. I had fire insurance. Unlike some that did not , and are now living in shelters out in the boonies or their vehicle.

Available Houses/Apt are non existent in Chico and if you find one they are outrageous to rent/buy.We purchased a 5th wheel and a tow vehicle boondocking at a friends front yard. Don't feel sorry for me, the 5th wheel is 43 foot with 5 sliders. Bighorn. Been living in it for 3 months.

Contemplating if I want to stay in California or rebuild. BTW not all camp fire victims qualify for FEMA assistance. We make too much to qualify, even though financially all of our investment/debt is in the house we lost. Which we still need to pay off. We are on our own.

Thanks again everyone.