Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
jayofkays

Motorcycles: 2006 r1
Name:
Anybody been riding with the Alpine Stars Airbag Jacket?

I've had mine for about 4 months. Its nice to have. It would have been great to nit have those clavicle surgeries and the handful of ribs that never fail to break before you gotta pick 500 Lbs up, and possibly my right hip that is seemingly fine because I lost that pesky "feeling" in it, but it works..walks..whatever. . All of these might could have been avoided as they say in Mississippi. Though admiringly, Its something I am st[ll sketch to leave on my bike even with a cable through the sleeve ($1100 People at metal detectors are clueless to them BTW so plan on explaining and I tell them to get used to it they're coming.
Supposedly the thing is supposed to deploy BEFORE I get hit so that's a really helpful

I have an ICON {motorhead?}and my alpine star GP jacket that surprisingly cost almost as much as the airbag A,S jacket. As well as my perforated blue and white jacket that I FUKCIN LOVE. It has zip off arms HA! Sadly all up for sale soon enough. I mean there really is no point in ever wearing them Right? Plus I wont miss strapping on a damn spine protector. Ill be possibly punting that that thing off the Golden Gate as it may feel better than cash.
jayofkays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #2
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
I'm not sure I follow....

Are you getting rid of other gear because of the air vest?

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
I've had the A* AirTech Race vest (medium) and Missile jacket (size 50) for about 6 months. Haven't had occasion to test its effectiveness.

Protection
Crazy good battery life
Excellent online customer service

Cost
Heavy 12 pounds
Bulky
Power switch location near impossible to reach while wearing you need to remember to flip the recessed switch on the back protector before you put it on.
Another device I need to remember to charge.
Sometimes doesn't not boot up properly so have to redo the velcro activation switch and wait for confirmation - 15 seconds.
Not very breathable but hasn't been an issue for me.

I am happy with my purchase and have no regrets.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
bunnygoat
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: 950SM
Name: Dan
I too took a hip-hit. Why is it still numb in one little spot years later?
bunnygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnygoat View Post
I too took a hip-hit. Why is it still numb in one little spot years later?
+1. Smacked in 1999 and mine still hurts to lie on . Bursitis is what one doc told me. Hip protection is on the top of my list when looking at gear. Suprisingly, not many pants have decent protection.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
What are the rules for carry on on Airlines? Can you charge it W 220v power?
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #7
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

I've never tried transporting the vest on an airplane.

The two canisters on the Race vest (one canister on the Street version) are compressed helium-argon gas.

TSA says compressed gas cartridges are NOT allowed on carry-on or check-in.
But a life vest with CO2 cartridges is allowed: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...idge-life-vest

There is a caveat of "The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint."

One could claim a motorcycle airbag vest is a life vest (it sure looks like one to me). While not CO2, Argon and helium are inert gases so no hazard there.

User's manual recommends check-in:
"Transportation
Users should be aware that the airbag inflators are pyrotechnic devices, however the Tech-AirTM system has been classified as ‘Not Dangerous’ with reference to the UN shipping regulations. This means that the system can be safely transported – including by air provided that the airbag vest is checked into the aircraft’s hold as checked luggage.When transporting the vest by air, users are strongly recommended to download and print a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) in the event they may be questioned by airport staff. This can be downloaded from the Tech-Air™ Data Portal (Section 17) or obtained from your Alpinestars dealer.Note: Not all countries worldwide permit the import of pyrotechnic devices. Prior to travelling, users should check with the appropriate authorities of countries through which and to which they are travelling to determine if the system will be permitted entry or not."

I'd carry a print-out of the MSDS and TSA guidelines and try the carry-on route first. If checked in the TSA could, theoretically, confiscate the vest.

Finally, the vest comes with an AC/DC wall wart adapter and a USB-A/micro-USB cord that plugs into a cable on the vest. This cord is also used to load firmware via a PC computer (optional street or race settings on the Race vest). It works with 120AC or 220AC.

User's manual here: https://www.docdroid.net/Lgh59n3/650...n-r.pdf#page=6

Last edited by RVFRick; 02-18-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Old 02-18-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

FWIW Alpinestars support replied to an inquiry I sent this morning:

While I've never done airplane travel with
my TechAir vest, do you know if TSA allows check-in or carry-on of the vest?

According to the TSA website small compressed gas canisters are not allowed
as carry-on or check-in:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...gas-cartridges

Any comment or information you can add?
Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Our vests do not fall under the supplied link, mainly because it is a contained argon and helium system (which requires an electrical activation of the pyrotechnic charge) and not what it is referring to, loose canisters.

I have seen plenty of speculation online in regards to traveling with the vest but we have yet to hear of anyone having an issue when traveling with the Material Safety Data Sheet supplied on the Tech-Air Data Portal. I generally recommend our customers to print plenty of extra copies for each leg of their trip just in case. Mind you, it can only travel in "Checked" baggage and not as a carry on.

Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
scotinexcile
Veteran

Motorcycles: Street: 2017 R6, 1982 RD350LC
Name: Alan
It is also at the discretion of the Airline. Southwest allowed me to fly to Florida with my vest but would not allow it back with CO2. I lost 18 CO2 on that trip
scotinexcile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
A friend of mine got one after he broke Both collarbones in a slowish speed get off. He wears it over his 'stich.

Then last week a ladder fell on him at work, causing a tibial plateau fracture with a torn miniscus. He won't be riding, walking or even crawling for at least 2 months. But he's got good gear!

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
Ocho
Rookie

4% Contributor

Motorcycles: Versys X300
Name: Jorge
I have the street version. I switched to a Helite after over a year since felt it’s too heavy and hot for Texas. Anyone looking for one cheap?

Last edited by Ocho; 02-20-2019 at 09:40 PM..
Ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 PM   #12
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
I have the street version. I switched to a Helite after over a year since felt itís too heavy and now to hit for Texas. Anyone looking for one cheap?
Jacket + airbag? What model & size?