Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Adventure Riding

Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #46
Ocho
Rookie

4% Contributor

Motorcycles: Versys X300
Name: Jorge
Good luck on the BDR. I saw the movie and they mentioned it’s the hardest one yet. It certainly looked challenging, solo will be interesting.
Ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #47
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
Good luck on the BDR. I saw the movie and they mentioned itís the hardest one yet. It certainly looked challenging, solo will be interesting.
Thanks, I have ridden some of Death Valley stuff, I'm thinking it will be similar to the Nevada BDR. There are easy splits so I will probably take those or I will attempt the hard and just turn around if gas permits. I rode Harry Wade Road on the way to the Nevada BDR and there was mention of a watercrossing but there was no water at the time so that may be a turn around point if it's too deep O_o' It wouldn't fun if it was easy =P
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #48
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Ok I'm off if anyone wants to check my progress on the map here's the link I'll put it on the first page also:
https://share.garmin.com/hadesomega

I don't know if I will be posting anything. It's hard to post pictures from my phone. If I get a chance I'll throw some pictures up and I'll update my progress on this thread.

But my instagram I will post some pictures here and there on it.
https://www.instagram.com/hadesomega/
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #49
wilit
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '01 SV650S '01 WR250F
Name: Ryan
Awesome thread as usual. Can't wait to see how the trip goes.

I spent a few hours in Slab City last August when I was on the Lemons Rally. Really interesting place. It's like a permanent Burning Man.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 AM   #50
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Awesome thread as usual. Can't wait to see how the trip goes.
+1!

beautiful sunny day, too ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #51
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

DAY 1 - San Jose to Big Sur

Having lunch at McD's in Seaside beautiful day for a ride. Posted buncha pictures to instagram its hard to not stop and take pix on the pch! Definitely damp and cold in the Santa Cruz mountains and lots of rockslide activity. Took it easy on the twisties. Buzzards lagoon was fun a little slippery excellent views of the forest and seaside =)

Giant loop already disappointing the left strap came out of the giant loop tie down, if it was that ez to come off on a not so rough dirt road what happens in the rough stuff =/ will keep an eye on it. I shoulda just left the footpegs installed.

Lexington Reservoir

Santa Cruz mountains

Buzzards Lagoon, it's not really closed =P

The view!

Already reattached but this one came off.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-13-2019 at 01:14 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #52
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Update I've made it to the Carrizo Plains haha so funny I stopped by an Carrisa Plains Elementary School and I asked a lady where Carrizo Plains is and she says your on it haha.

Thus far trip has been great cold weather though. Old Coast Road was closed I rode to the gate on both sides. Weather great on PCH. I camp 7 miles off of Los Burros Road at that campground I stayed at years ago. Was great view and clean and goatie gettung up there. Was hard to sleep not windy bit cold 30s-40s.

Pictures from PCH

Bixby Bridge and Old Coast Road

More PCH

Last one before finding camp

Road down PCH to about Morro Bay and rode Old Creek road and super goatie forest type road called Pozo. It was a lotta fun dirty twisties =)

I'm heading to a campground at Carrizo plains. I see lots of snow in the mountains may have to bypass the mountains. So far ridden 300 miles =) hoping for warmer weather. Will get a hotel in Yuma and post a buncha pictures. Living the dream =)

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-03-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #53
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
hanging out at the Soda Lake overlook ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #54
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Los Burros Road

To San Martin Top

Nah I'm good

Camp here for the night! Same spot I camped at 2 years ago!

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-03-2019 at 10:02 PM..
Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #55
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

DAY 2 - Big Sur to Carrizo Plains

Day 2 starts off a San Martin Top. Looks like it'll be another beautiful day for a ride! Look at the view from my tent!

Beautiful to camp out here, just wish it was warmer, it better camping up here though it's warmer than closer to the coast strangely enough.

Ride down the San Martin Top and head down the PCH.

Nice creek

Still lots of beautiful Pacific Coast scenery to photograph! Wildflowers!

In Cambria checking out the elephant seals and wildflowers

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-13-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #56
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Last of the excellent Coastal Views

Hearst Castle

Not much farther and we get to Morro Bay. We don't quite make it there because this is where we start to head inland!

Not far from here we take Old Creek Road into the mountains. Nice twisties and great views.

Whale Rock Reservoir

Pavement ends dualsport time! We turn onto Santa Rita Road.

It is still kinda muddy in places you also want to be careful around blind corners as there were a lot of bicyclists on this road and some cars.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-11-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Old 02-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #57
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Eventually the road turns into Pozo road and this was a fun road. It was pretty much an OHV road. There were a couple OHV crossings too. I enjoyed riding this because it was pretty rough.

Intersection here interesting places to visit

Had to use the facilities so stopped at this campground that was on the way. There was like a creek running right through it!

Continuing down Pozo Road it's a little muddy

Eventually I make it to Carrisa Plains Elementary. I take a break her and check the phone as there was signal. A lady asks if I need any help and I ask her where Carrizo Plains is and she says you're in it haha.

Riding down the first section of Soda Lake Road

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-10-2019 at 09:03 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #58
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here we are at Carrizo Plains National Monument. I've heard a lot about this place and finally get to see it for myself =)

First stop Soda Lake Overlook, I was so tempted to ride my bike up there but I better now =P Behold Soda Lake!

Panoramic

Looking down to the parking lot

Soda Lake Road from where I rode in

Excellent views

I got my bike muddy =P

There was a road that I attempted to ride that goes around the lake to the other side but it was too muddy. Later I learned from the ranger that you don't want to cross any of these dirt roads that go across the plains because when it rains it just turns to a muddy mess. This road is Simmler Road and spoiler I ride it the next day anyway =P

Stopped by the education center but it was closed. Closed about half hour ago. I found out you can get a permit to see the painted rocks here. Basically petroglyphs. So I decide it is starting to get late so I will find a campground. This is the electronic gate that you need the code to get through to ride to the trailhead of the Painted Rock.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-10-2019 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #59
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

I decide to ride to Selby Ranch Campground. This is the closest campground to the visitors center which I'm going to go to in the morning. It is probably about 5 miles from the visitors center.

Got there just before dark and setup camp. Here a picture of dinner Udon great for the cold night. It's freezing here was hard to get a good nights sleep because of the cold =(

END Day 2

DAY 3 - Carrizo Plains to Santa Clarita

Day 3 I wake up and it's COLD it was hard to sleep. I didn't get up until the sun hit the tent. Pack the tent up after some miso soup. The view from the campground of the plains was nice!

I spilled some water on the table and a few minutes later it started turning into ice O_O

Ride down the road back to Soda Lake. Took a couple pictures along the way.

I to the visitors center that was closed yeterday yippee it's open! I ask the ranger if I can get a permit. I want to mention that they only let people see the Painted Rock a limited time throughout the year. I believe it ended in March and it was the end of February so i'm lucky I'm in the window =) I fill out the permit and they give me the gate code. I ride to the entrance behind the building and punch in the gate code and ACCESS GRANTED! So I ride down the Painted Rock trailhead to check it out. So I'm not suppose to post pictures of the Painted Rock the best I can do is a far away shot of it.

Some wildflowers blooming. The ranger tells me when the wild flowers start blooming people flock to the Carrizo Plains.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-13-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #60
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Got a new sticker!

The next thing I wanted to see if the San Andreas fault at the Wallace Trail across the plains. The rangers told me the best way to get there that wouldn't be really muddy is to take 7 mile road across the plains then ride a little bit south to the trail. Notice you can see the wildflowers blooming a little on the sides of the hils.

This is Simler road I rode this yesterday that road that was all muddy and soft.

Signed the guestbook

The hiking trail that takes you to the San Andreas fault and you can see how it changed the directions this creek was flowing with a kink in it.

This section here is what has been changing for thousands of years

They put two stakes down to show you how much they have moved the #1 stake is on top of that hill where the pictures were taken earlier

You can see the #1 stake sticking out at the top of the hill in this picture

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-12-2019 at 10:29 AM..