Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #16
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCorpse View Post
I've been thinking about this a bit after hearing stories, and seeing the photos of lines of cars escaping the Malibu fires.

On one hand, it might make sense to have something small and maneuverable to navigate through traffic. I have enough topcase/sidecase storage that I can take clothes for days and the important stuff (paperwork, family stuff, etc). On the other hand, fire is hot and who knows how close you could have to get near it to get out - seeing some of the vids, being on a bike could be like being a two-wheeled marshmallow riding through a campfire, getting a nice roasting inside your gear and helmet. Not to mention smoke.
And, riding through traffic during an evac means riding through a swath of cars that are driven by panicked, stressed, and frightened people, and if something happened to you, first responders are already tied up with the fires.

The other option is dirt bike and just avoid roads as best as you can, but storage might be limited unless you have the bags and a good backpack. Tradeoff is, you can go anywhere.

Sorry if it comes off as morbid, but I've been giving it thought if I got a call to evac - car or moto?
I most certainly would. And if you're stuck in a traffic jam, the car isn't going to provide protection for very long. I'd have a good dual sport with hard luggage and a rack with a top case. I'd also know all the roads, paved and dirt, really, really well. And I'd also know where I might go to escape being incinerated if for some reason I couldn't get out of the area.

Main thing is to get out with your life. Everything else can be replaced.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
Junkie
re-tarded

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: SV1000,WR450tards(03FS), YZ426tard,NC700X
Name: Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Every situation will be different. Inside a car with a cabin air filter will provide a lot better air to breath than sitting on a motorcycle.
A motorcycle is a better choice until it isn't.
Hopefully people have learned from this and as soon as a threat is realized they move out by whatever means is fastest.
a cabin air filter won't stop CO
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #18
Sharky
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobCorpse View Post
I've been thinking about this a bit after hearing stories, and seeing the photos of lines of cars escaping the Malibu fires.

On one hand, it might make sense to have something small and maneuverable to navigate through traffic. I have enough topcase/sidecase storage that I can take clothes for days and the important stuff (paperwork, family stuff, etc). On the other hand, fire is hot and who knows how close you could have to get near it to get out - seeing some of the vids, being on a bike could be like being a two-wheeled marshmallow riding through a campfire, getting a nice roasting inside your gear and helmet. Not to mention smoke.
And, riding through traffic during an evac means riding through a swath of cars that are driven by panicked, stressed, and frightened people, and if something happened to you, first responders are already tied up with the fires.

The other option is dirt bike and just avoid roads as best as you can, but storage might be limited unless you have the bags and a good backpack. Tradeoff is, you can go anywhere.

Sorry if it comes off as morbid, but I've been giving it thought if I got a call to evac - car or moto?
I'd take toasty gear over being burned alive in my car stuck in traffic. I would let my kid ride his bike and have the wife ride my sumo and I'd ride my xr. Or let my wife ride the kid's bike and take him on mine.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #19
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
a cabin air filter won't stop CO
The air inside a car will be better that the air outside of a car.
No one here thinks the cabin air filter is equal to using a gas mask.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
The people that perished in their cages did not perish because they were stuck in traffic, they perished because they either turned down a dead end road or were lost.
Absolutely false. Where are you getting that from? Just this weekend I was at an event with friends that had family lost in the fires. The egress roads were clogged - many people only survived b/c bulldozers pushed through the vehicles that congested the roads, clearing a path for vehicles trailing it.

One of many instances of bulldozers clearing a path for vehicles:
Quote:
They all might have burned right there were it not for a Cal Fire bulldozer operator who ďsaved our bacon,Ē Peck said. The bulldozer plowed flaming vehicles out of the roadway to clear a lane for the fire engines and several dozen vehicles to move to a grassy area that the bulldozer had scraped down to fireproof mineral soil. They all stayed in the makeshift refuge until the worst of the fire passed.
Think about normal bay area commute traffic. Now think of those people fleeing their homes to escape death by fire. People do stupid shit, break down, panic, etc. Our road infrastructure is not made to handle mass evacuation in a short time. I started tearing up, listening to he stories being told this weekend... I got an additional dose of humble pie when they told me I was naive when I said I was glad I have a large 4x4 for this kind of thing.... lots of people had them but they're only as good as the paths you can take. Even an F450 can only push so much out of its way before it becomes a part of the road block.
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #21
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
I have a friend that nearly died while trying to leave during the Santa Rosa fire.
He pulled out of his driveway and did fine for less than 5 minutes when he found grid-lock. This is a middle aged, healthy, self sufficient guy.
He said there were moments where he wasn't sure if he was going to live or die.
His story spooked me as I considered the source.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
orbframe
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

AMA #1090498
Contributor + 2%

Motorcycles: 2019 FLHXS, 2017 FXDLS, 2002 RC51, 2001 500R (GF Bike), 1997 FLHT
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
Absolutely false. Where are you getting that from? Just this weekend I was at an event with friends that had family lost in the fires. The egress roads were clogged - many people only survived b/c bulldozers pushed through the vehicles that congested the roads, clearing a path for vehicles trailing it.

One of many instances of bulldozers clearing a path for vehicles:

Think about normal bay area commute traffic. Now think of those people fleeing their homes to escape death by fire. People do stupid shit, break down, panic, etc. Our road infrastructure is not made to handle mass evacuation in a short time. I started tearing up, listening to he stories being told this weekend... I got an additional dose of humble pie when they told me I was naive when I said I was glad I have a large 4x4 for this kind of thing.... lots of people had them but they're only as good as the paths you can take. Even an F450 can only push so much out of its way before it becomes a part of the road block.
A Iím thinking about is how much I want a bulldozer
orbframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #23
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbframe View Post
Sadly, we lose a few of those guys to fire every year.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #24
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
I did.

In 1991, my home was in the projected path of the Oakland firestorm. I borrowed a truck from the dealership I worked at, loaded important things in it, and had it ready to go.
The plan: My downstairs tenant would drive my truck down to Montclair, and the GF and I would escape on the '82 Katana, which was ready to launch at a moment's notice.
It's a bad feeling watching as a large fire eats one house after another as it heads your way. The wind changed direction late the 2nd day, and the fire turned in to Mountain View Cemetery, where it petered out.
moto-rama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #25
Surj
Uneasy Rider

AMA #: 2825187
Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: Buell Ulysses, Moto Guzzi V11 Rosso Mandello, Honda CRF250L, etc etc...
Name: Surj
Quote:
Those poor souls were trapped because the average car driver is shit.
Quote:
The egress roads were clogged - many people only survived b/c bulldozers pushed through the vehicles that congested the roads, clearing a path for vehicles trailing it.
Think about normal bay area commute traffic. Now think of those people fleeing their homes to escape death by fire. People do stupid shit, break down, panic, etc. Our road infrastructure is not made to handle mass evacuation in a short time.
These are two very different statements. The first is apathetic and nonsensical; the second is much closer to fact.
Surj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #26
TwoWheelsRule
Russian

Motorcycles: KLR650
Name: Vlad
Quote:
The people that perished in their vehicles solidified my resolve to evac via motorcycle in the event of a disaster in my city. Those poor souls were trapped because the average car driver is shit.

I can't think of many better vehicles suited to sub/urban escape than a 701 supermoto.... maybe a KLR since those will outlive cockroaches
I love my KLR for that exact reason.
TwoWheelsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #27
ejv
Untitled work in progress

Motorcycles: Tuono
Name:
Depends on situation. If I just had to worry about me and I knew I was ahead of the fire and just had to deal with traffic I would take Francesca. If I had to deal with the flames directly I would take the best cage I had for the job.
ejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:37 AM   #28
day004
Major PITA

AMA Life Member #538338
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: VFR1200f
Name: Dave
I drove past a median brush fire one time on I-80. In just 20-30 yards at 10 MPH the inside of my car got hot enough to make me sweat. Not sure that a longer distance would be survivable on a moto.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is not.
day004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #29
pKx
Ubergeek

BARF Roadside Angel Contributor
Founding Member
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 15 1290SA, 17 FE501, 03 CRF230F
Name: Kris L.
I would put my Husky FE501 in the back of my big lifted Adventure Van, just like a trip to Hollister or Metcalf.

If the van couldn't get through traffic, then I'd jump on the dirty bike.
pKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #30
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbframe View Post
Whammy likes this one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-CATERP...fb7:rk:25:pf:0

Now where am I going to find the 240K to buy it.... that's another question!
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote