Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #31
Pking
Humble Rider

Motorcycles: Suzuki 1250FA
Name: Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodelicious View Post
New traffic fine rules were release on January 1, 2019:

If you Forgot to carry your driver's license it is $214.
Forgot to change the address (more than ten days) $214.
If your car is Uninsured and you are in a car accident, car it is $796 ‘and’ your driver's license is revoked for 4 years.

If you Did Not stop at a red light or before turning right and at a No Turn on Red it is $533.
Crossing double yellow line for $425.
Violation of the turn or U-turn $284.
Speeding 1-15 miles $224 16-25 miles $338, usually the police determined that speeding is over 5 miles.

On rainy day it is not allowed to exceed 65 miles.

NOT Stopping at a stop sign it is $284.
Passing the flashing light of school bus it is $675.
Talking on cell phone, the first time, it is $76, the second time $190, and it is the same penalty even if you are just holding the cell phone in your hand!

Did NOT Stop at a bus stop $976.
Not wearing a seat belt $160.
Driving with high beam light (from 30 points) for $382.
Child did not wear a seat belt or not in a child seat $436. Covering car door $178. Driving with headphones on $178.

All the above violations allow you to go to traffic school for 8 hours.
If you get a second ticket within 18 months, sorry, you are not a Good Driver and this will drive up your insurance rate

Please be careful everyone!
and wear leather, learn to slide,
so when you crash, you won't break your bones.

Happy year for everyone!❤
So are these base costs minus other fees that may be tacked on or the overall fees?
Pking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #32
eeeeek
Freelance Superhero

Motorcycles: Various
Name: Vik
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN396 View Post
Let us not forget the pièce de résistance... $1000 non correctable fine for aftermarket exhaust. (Go sign the petition)

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california
I thought the way the law was written, this new piece only covers autos and not trucks and motorcycles?

The noise restriction portion has been in place since the 70's, I believe. Regardless, do they even have a method to test db levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
In the end, I figure that it just doesn't make sense to get offended for others.
eeeeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #33
fast4d
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2001 aprilia
Name:
Quote:
If your car is Uninsured and you are in a car accident, car it is $796 ‘and’ your driver's license is revoked for 4 years.
only if your vehicle is disabled and you can't drive/get away.
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #34
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Warrior 350, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Let us not forget the pièce de résistance... $1000 non correctable fine for aftermarket exhaust. (Go sign the petition)

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...-in-california
I don't think it's aftermarket exhaust. I think it is only excessively loud exhaust like over 95db. Otherwise the aftermarket will go out of business. I think they merely changed the law where they can just straight up give you a citation instead of a fix it ticket if you are popped with a loud exhaust. I hope they are carrying db meters to prove it's excessively loud.

Last edited by HadesOmega; 01-10-2019 at 02:28 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #35
Hammerin'Hank
On a nail...

AMA #: 2809843
Barf Sponsored Racer
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, RC390, R1200GS
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pking View Post
So are these base costs minus other fees that may be tacked on or the overall fees?
Yes.
Hammerin'Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #36
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
1. Not carrying your license on you wastes your time while the officer has to try and look it up.

2. Most people I've encountered who do not carry ID on them do not want to be identified because they have a warrant or their license is suspended.

3. Even if you have a valid license, I may not be able to find it in the system because the name you give me is too common, or slightly off from what the name on your license is.

4. The database goes down regularly, preventing any look ups.

5. We can't look up insurance in the system.
6. Not all police cars have computers to look up information.

7. Sometimes technology fails and the computer doesn’t work.

8. Police motorcycles don’t have computers.

9. It is against the law to present a suspended license to an officer. When a driver presents to a police officer a license that is suspended, the officer is required to collect the driver license and send it back to DMV.

10. Etc....

There are dozens of reasons.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:34 PM   #37
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
10. Etc....

There are dozens of reasons.
Three more and you would have had a dozen here.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #38
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodelicious View Post
anybody else can update speeding ticket prices at(or near) the airports?
i paid $690bucks in 2001.
going
southbound 101.
(92m/h). reduced to 85.
Did you make the plane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
Whatever, critical thinking skills know no gender.
Seems to me the OP was offering the list as genuine, helpful information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
9. It is against the law to present a suspended license to an officer. When a driver presents to a police officer a license that is suspended, the officer is required to collect the driver license and send it back to DMV.
Are you supposed to surrender a suspended license to the DMV? Can a suspended license be used for ID? If you're stopped with a suspended license, can you say "no, I can't give you my license" even if you're carrying it?

The way I understand it is that IF you carry your license (or State ID), you are obligated to turn it over on request by a peace officer. However, you are not required to carry it at all (if you're not driving).
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #39
JN396
PODRACER

Motorcycles: Monster
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeek View Post
I thought the way the law was written, this new piece only covers autos and not trucks and motorcycles?

The noise restriction portion has been in place since the 70's, I believe. Regardless, do they even have a method to test db levels?
AB1824 affects motorcycles too. No db meter; it's at the officer's discretion.

"Certain vehicle exhaust violations no longer correctable (AB 1824, Committee on Budget): A fine will become mandatory, not correctable, when loud motor vehicles and motorcycles are cited. Previously, a driver or motorcyclist who was cited for modified or excessively loud exhaust or muffler systems could correct the violation to avoid a fine."

https://www.chp.ca.gov/PressReleases..._laws_2019.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuFT...H8T6OrlB61Ugv4
JN396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #40
BruinFJRguy

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name:
Quote:
AB1824 affects motorcycles too. No db meter; it's at the officer's discretion.

"Certain vehicle exhaust violations no longer correctable (AB 1824, Committee on Budget): A fine will become mandatory, not correctable, when loud motor vehicles and motorcycles are cited. Previously, a driver or motorcyclist who was cited for modified or excessively loud exhaust or muffler systems could correct the violation to avoid a fine."

https://www.chp.ca.gov/PressReleases..._laws_2019.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuFT...H8T6OrlB61Ugv4
Here's how I think this revision to the law will affect bikes:

Edit: much of what I said about the actual law, after reading the CVC, I've learned was I correct.

The upshot of my earlier post was that the cops weren't enforcing exhaust laws on bikes all that diligently because the fixit ticket was cheap and people would just remedy to get out of the fine and then re-modify to back the way they wanted. Now there is actually money in it for the gov so they will go ahead and fine.

There appear to be more complications about how the laws are violated depending on year of the bike, and the role of the cop in determining a violation relative to the ref. It looks like a crafty attorney could compose evidence that "might" be able to overcome a citation in court. Of course, an obviously modified exhaust, missing the cat and/or missing the fed compliance label, or a bike affixed with a "race use only/not for road use" observed by the cop would be difficult evidence to overcome.

In the end, it would probably just be easier and cheaper to pay the fine than to try to find another "out" if they clearly getcha!

Another thing I'm not sure of is where people get this $1000 figure I keep seeing thrown around. It looks like the total fine would depend on the number of violations (e.g. noise/decibal violation, modification violation, emissions violation).

I nearly bought a bike this week with a highly modified exhaust before learning about this new bill today. Dammit, the pipes sounded so good, too!

Note: I'm not an attorney and nothing I say is legal advice.

Last edited by BruinFJRguy; 01-10-2019 at 06:38 PM..
BruinFJRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #41
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
Three more and you would have had a dozen here.

10. Your DL has a magnetic strip in it, which can be swiped and read by some MDTs and e-cite books to quickly load information.

11. Even if an officer has an MDT with data access, he might be away from the car and need to identify someone.

12. Some people are deaf/mute or speak another language and the officer might not be able to obtain identifying information simply by talking to the driver.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #42
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru
Now that my loud bikes have given me tinnitus and made me switch to quiet ones, I'm okay with everyone else riding quiet too
dittoalex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #43
davidmc
Moto Traveler

Motorcycles: ‘16 BMW R1200GSA, ‘16 Moto Guzzi V7ii Stronello
Name: Dave
Cell phone fine the cheapest, even less than failing to change your address? God help us....
Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #44
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc View Post
Cell phone fine the cheapest, even less than failing to change your address? God help us....
Read the entire thread.

Not only is the OP false, but 14600(a) VC (changing address within 10 days) is a correctable violation subject to a $25 service fee upon proof of correction.

The Uniform Bail Schedule for all traffic violations is posted online every year.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/2...?1546290674434
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #45
Bach415
Rookie

Motorcycles: None
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFJRguy View Post
Another thing I'm not sure of is where people get this $1000 figure I keep seeing thrown around. It looks like the total fine would depend on the number of violations (e.g. noise/decibal violation, modification violation, emissions violation).
Edited a bit of your post but the $1000 figure that is being thrown around is because of an instagram video of a person getting pulled over (Original video posted 12/22 but for some reason people keep re-posting it as for 2019 law) and they were getting an $1000 ticket. They didn't really specify what the violation was (some said it was just because of it being a loud exhaust but I doubt that)
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote