Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #46
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Gordian Knot usually means solving a hard or complex problem with a bold and decisive motion. Instead of trying to untangle the knot, you take out your sword and slice it.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #47
tgrrdr
мочиться муравьев кальмар

Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiker View Post
Bike was originally purchased in Sacramento. Dealer said it's about $70 and will take SEVERAL MONTHS. I live in the east bay, so I called the Fremont dealer, they referred me to the locksmith who made the key, which doesn't work.
I got my key five yeas ago but it was only $35-40 and it came in a week or two. Sucks if it's really so expensive and takes so long now!
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:46 AM   #48
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
BTW, as previously noted he has AAA and every membership level offers locksmithing reimbursement service that deals with this (from $50 at the basic level to $150 at premier). In the Bay Area the cost to upgrade his service to Premier if he had Basic would be $119 and for that he gets $150 locksmith reimbursement and FREE tow up to 200 miles to the locksmith.

He said he got a quote from a mobile locksmith for $250. Even at that, he gets $150 reimbursement, but AAA would get his bike to a locksmith and the charge would be much less.

AAA deals with this kind of thing every day. He has the membership. https://caaroadside.ca/CAA-console/A...le=en&club=005

Maybe the OP got this all fixed?

Would be nice to hear back from the OP so others might know what worked for him.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 01-21-2019 at 09:47 AM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #49
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
How come he hasn’t found it yet??
Turn the house upside down
Whammy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #50
auntiebling
megalomaniacal troglodyte

BARF Moderator (ooh, fancy!)
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
How come he hasn’t found it yet??
Turn the house upside down
Not everybody lifts, bro
my dad is an engineer
17/38 sprockets
CARB bikes list CA DMV fee calculators

Classifieds Forum Rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacinator View Post
Love that subway tile backsplash, auntie
auntiebling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #51
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
The key to finding your old key is to make a new key.

Next day, oh there it is.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #52
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
Not everybody lifts, bro
Tis true.
Whammy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #53
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiebling View Post
Not everybody lifts, bro

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #54
newbiker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 Ninja Zx6r
Name:
Things Finally Worked out - -

1. I called the Sacramento (original) dealership to get the key code, which they gave me. They said my local (Fremont Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) dealership could've helped me too. I told them, they said only the original dealer can help. I was told they're being Lazy and deliberately unhelpful, and that I shouldn't give them business in the future.... Anyhow...

2. Called Fremont dealer to help me make the key (now that I had the code). They again told me they can't help. I told them, "you're my local dealer, if you can't help, who can?" Finally, they took my VIN number and were able to look up the code, which was the same code I was given by Sac dealership. They asked me to go directly to Centerville Locksmith in Newark, who get their outsourced key jobs. Centerville failed to make the right key.

3. Then I approached Rex keys in Berkely. Friday spoke to a lady who said we can make that key with the code for $18, additional keys for $6. Called back on Monday, another sales guy said you have to bring the bike ($150), code is wrong.

4. Called Rex again on Tuesday, spoke to TIM. He said it's a good Kawasaki code, he'll make the key. I arrived at the store around 5:30PM. TIM had gone for the day, but left the made key on a table for me. I ran into the same guy who said it can't be made - I asked him to call TIM. Picked the key came home and tried - it didn't work in the ignition. Not deep enough to even click open the lock. I, anyhow, tried it in the gas tank - it worked. I was surprised it worked on the gas tank and rear seat lock. I realized the key is short.

5. Went back to Centerville, in Newark. Told them to use their Kawi bank key and copy the key made from Rex keys. Got home - it freaking WORKS!!! Started the bike... all good. Now, I'll get about 4 more keys make..

Thanks everyone!!!!
newbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #55
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Note to self

Never buy a motorcycle from Fremont Kawasaki.

Ever.

Edit: Let me amend this to says this is just me. Everyone else can make their own choice on who to do business with. Perhaps it's my "Inner Lou" coming out, after a lifetime of being on both ends of service in various jobs, I have little patience with businesses who have a whole department with the word "Service" in it who can't just make it easy for people to give them their money.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 01-31-2019 at 04:20 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #56
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
OP, glad you finally got it working, but it sounds like far more trials than it should have been.

Question. Was the key code the same both times?

If so, the first locksmith screwed it up. A blank would go in all the way, but bad cuts won't allow it to turn.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #57
JHicks
Basically Homeless

Motorcycles: Honda CT110
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrrdr View Post
I had a klr 650 that I bought new in 2002 from the dealer in WC. I was trying to sell it in 2013 after it had sat for several years and couldn't find the key. I called the dealer and they had the code written down in my file from when I bought the bike. Using that code they ordered a new key for me from Kawasaki and a week or two later I went and picked it up. I mailed it to the guy who bought my bike and assume it worked because I never heard anything from him.

tl;dr - try another dealer and see if they can order a key for you from Kawasaki.
Nope, dealer just orders blanks. Locksmith has to cut it, unless that dealer has the right tooling to cut keys
JHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:03 PM   #58
newbiker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 Ninja Zx6r
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHicks View Post
Nope, dealer just orders blanks. Locksmith has to cut it, unless that dealer has the right tooling to cut keys
In this case, the dealer didn't even have the blanks. He simply said, they can't help, and to call a locksmith on my own. After insisting, they directed me to Centerville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
OP, glad you finally got it working, but it sounds like far more trials than it should have been. Question. Was the key code the same both times?

If so, the first locksmith screwed it up. A blank would go in all the way, but bad cuts won't allow it to turn.
Yes, the Key Code was same both times. Today when I went back to the locksmith, they said Kawi has the codes backwards. However, their key and the key I took did not match in the cuts (peaks & valleys) in my opinion. So yeah, they did screw it up the first 2 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
Note to self

Ever.
I never would. For service, maybe.....(if they're the cheapest in town)
newbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM   #59
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
Note to self

Ever.
I'm VERY surprised if Fremont wasn't willing to help. EBMS sure, but I have always found Fremont to be very helpful. I'd be interested to hear their side of the story.

Mad
Old 01-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #60
eddiecycles
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Founding Member

Motorcycles: 09 crf450x, 08 cbr1000rr, 13 RMZ450, and a few others i cant think of right now...
Name: Eddie
WOW! We referred him to the place that cuts our keys, and referred him to the place that is the Kawasaki preferred provider for replacement keys (www.kawasakikeys.com). We didnt sell the vehicle, nor would I have his key code. We sell the oem key blanks and send them to Centerville Locksmith (he didnt purchase the key blank from us either) We cant give out key codes to vehicles. We confirmed the code he gave us. How would the public feel about someone handing out key codes to anyone who calls in. That would make it easy for a criminal to steal a vehicle, just make a key just by supplying the VIN. You can appreciate our situation. Maybe the owner should be responsible for knowing his key code? Now we now get the "never buy a motorcycle from them". Seems a bit of a stretch, however Glad you got it working. Ironically from the place that we referred you. We are always happy to help. We try to do a good job, we dont always succeed. That said there are always 2 sides of even the smallest story...

Eddie Benson
www.fremontmoto.com

www.fremontcycle.com

Last edited by eddiecycles; 01-30-2019 at 01:26 PM..
eddiecycles is offline   Reply With Quote