Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #61
newbiker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 Ninja Zx6r
Name:
Thanks everyone for your help and recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecycles View Post
WOW! We referred him to the place that cuts our keys, and referred him to the place that is the Kawasaki preferred provider for replacement keys (www.kawasakikeys.com). We didnt sell the vehicle, nor would I have his key code. We sell the oem key blanks and send them to Centerville Locksmith (he didnt purchase the key blank from us either) We cant give out key codes to vehicles. We confirmed the code he gave us. How would the public feel about someone handing out key codes to anyone who calls in. That would make it easy for a criminal to steal a vehicle, just make a key just by supplying the VIN. You can appreciate our situation. Maybe the owner should be responsible for knowing his key code? Now we now get the "never buy a motorcycle from them". Seems a bit of a stretch, however Glad you got it working. Ironically from the place that we referred you. We are always happy to help. We try to do a good job, we dont always succeed. That said there are always 2 sides of even the smallest story...

Eddie Benson
Appreciate the feedback and your obvious concern for the safety of the owner, and not providing the key code or offering to make a key right away. But being a dealer, there's a Process for such situations, where you could help the customer.

I was able to get the key code from Sacramento dealer who were very helpful, and after 3 attempts from Fremont dealer also, once I explained to them that Sacramento dealer informed me that ANY dealer could find that info. To ensure security, you could look at my registration, insurance, CA ID, etc. Besides, you have my record since I've brought that bike for servicing there. Being a Local, I would expect help, solution, and service from my local Kawi Dealer, it's a win-win for a long term business relationship.

Your recommended Centerville cut the key Wrong. I visited them 3 times, and a few hours of my time. So if they are your "GO TO" key place, they need to be educated on how to cut Kawasaki keys, because they seemed confused. I was never offered an OEM blank key from the dealer, even when I asked for it, I was told we don't do keys anymore. I was also told if I order code cut keys from Kawasaki.com it could take months.

All in all, it worked out. I just had to make several phone calls, a trip to Rex Keys () and 3 trips to Centerville to finally get it done. I will order OEM Keys online and get copies made.

Thanks Everyone!!!

P.S: Shout out to Rex Keys: Spoke to TIM, he seemed confident. When I arrived at 5:30 PM he was gone for the day. But before leaving, he had made a key and left it on the table for me. The guy I met showed me on the computer the code was different, somehow not matching my bike. Apparently, TIM understood the technicality. The guy on the counter called TIM, who told him to give me the key on the table. They didn't even charge me for it, and said, if it works we can make copies for you. And it worked. Now, that's service!!! Although I live in the Fremont area, but I'll be driving to Berkely to see Rex for more copies...
newbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #62
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Protip; make a couple copies before you lose your key, its then only a few bucks.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 PM   #63
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
I'd buy from Fremont Kaw/Honda again. Key issue aside, if you live in Hayward, where else you gonna go? The Hayward dealer has 3 stars on Yelp, and Fremont Honda 4. When I bought there I think their average was higher, but there are some recent reviews dissatisfied with the service. I hope that turns around.

When I bought my Honda, there was a closer dealer. A friend had had an unsatisfactory service experience there--FWIW I'd had an unsatisfactory service experience at a different closer Kawasaki dealer. Local Honda dealer didn't have the bike I wanted when I wanted it. Fremont did. And it worked out for me.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #64
newbiker
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Protip; make a couple copies before you lose your key, its then only a few bucks.
Absolutely - Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I'd buy from Fremont Kaw/Honda again. Key issue aside, if you live in Hayward, where else you gonna go? The Hayward dealer has 3 stars on Yelp, and Fremont Honda 4. When I bought there I think their average was higher, but there are some recent reviews dissatisfied with the service. I hope that turns around.

When I bought my Honda, there was a closer dealer. A friend had had an unsatisfactory service experience there--FWIW I'd had an unsatisfactory service experience at a different closer Kawasaki dealer. Local Honda dealer didn't have the bike I wanted when I wanted it. Fremont did. And it worked out for me.
As you mentioned, your friend had unsatisfactory service there... I did too.

In your case, if the other dealer didn't have the bike you wanted, and Fremont did, that's not really a service they provided. They just happen to have the bike you wanted. Service is all about genuinely helping a customer in need, understanding their situation, and offering best positble solutions. And in some cases, going an extra mile to help out the customer in need. I think these days, that's too much to ask. Dealers want to charge premium prices for everything, but providing service is another thing. It's all about them making money. It's not wonder why many dealerships are called steelerships. Oh well, I hope I don't need much from them for a while. Besides, there are many shops around for service.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #65
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiker View Post
Absolutely - Tomorrow!

As you mentioned, your friend had unsatisfactory service there... I did too.
My friend had unsatisfactory service from an unnamed dealer nearer to me. I once had unsatisfactory service from a different, no longer in existence, unnamed dealer near me.

I'd be happy to buy from Fremont Honda again.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #66
JHicks
Basically Homeless

Motorcycles: Honda CT110
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiecycles View Post
WOW! We referred him to the place that cuts our keys, and referred him to the place that is the Kawasaki preferred provider for replacement keys (www.kawasakikeys.com). We didnt sell the vehicle, nor would I have his key code. We sell the oem key blanks and send them to Centerville Locksmith (he didnt purchase the key blank from us either) We cant give out key codes to vehicles. We confirmed the code he gave us. How would the public feel about someone handing out key codes to anyone who calls in. That would make it easy for a criminal to steal a vehicle, just make a key just by supplying the VIN. You can appreciate our situation. Maybe the owner should be responsible for knowing his key code? Now we now get the "never buy a motorcycle from them". Seems a bit of a stretch, however Glad you got it working. Ironically from the place that we referred you. We are always happy to help. We try to do a good job, we dont always succeed. That said there are always 2 sides of even the smallest story...

Eddie Benson
Glad to hear the true story! Sorry you had to deal with an idiot customer that’s not even a customer. Ungrateful.
JHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:24 AM   #67
newbiker
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHicks View Post
Glad to hear the true story! Sorry you had to deal with an idiot customer that’s not even a customer. Ungrateful.
Before you post on someone's thread or call them an idiot, learn to read. Sometimes, it's better to keep quiet and look stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Hopefully, you went to school.

Last edited by newbiker; 01-31-2019 at 12:27 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 06:25 AM   #68
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Well, I don't know if there was a misunderstanding in your case or what. I've had both my son's and my bikes serviced at Fremont. All times the service was done correctly and I found the staff very friendly and competent. Unless he's moved on, their lead tech has Something like 30 years of experience. I live within 2 miles of EBMS. I go 10 miles to Fremont. Nuff said...

Mad
Old 01-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #69
splat
Veteran

Motorcycles: Mostly red ones
Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiker View Post
Before you post on someone's thread or call them an idiot, learn to read. Sometimes, it's better to keep quiet and look stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Hopefully, you went to school.
Given the other side of the story, I wouldn't say he's wrong.

I'd be weary of a dealership giving out key codes to people over the phone without positively proving that they own the bike.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #70
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
I must have missed exactly where the dealer fell short. I understand the whole ordeal was, an ordeal. Was that really just the dealer's making?

I lost my smart key in a lake. I hated the dealer too, but I feel they did what they do. It was close to $300 and more than a day, and that was WITH a spare key.

Lost keys just suck no matter what.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #71
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHicks View Post
Watch the name calling. No need for it.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM   #72
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
The OP s experience says something about Kawasaki , it's dealerships and it's apparent inability to assist a product owner with a common problem.

These days a computer networked service system should enable customer identification and and a fast resolution without a great deal of trouble for the owner.

So in response to the dealership, Why did OP have to endure such a process in the first place?

I was responding to this:
____begin quote of OP

"1. I called the Sacramento (original) dealership to get the key code, which they gave me. They said my local (Fremont Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki) dealership could've helped me too. I told them, they said only the original dealer can help. I was told they're being Lazy and deliberately unhelpful, and that I shouldn't give them business in the future.... Anyhow...

2. Called Fremont dealer to help me make the key (now that I had the code). They again told me they can't help. I told them, "you're my local dealer, if you can't help, who can?" Finally, they took my VIN number and were able to look up the code, which was the same code I was given by Sac dealership. They asked me to go directly to Centerville Locksmith in Newark, who get their outsourced key jobs. Centerville failed to make the right key."

_____end quote of OP

Assuming he can prove ownership by providing registration and ID, they should've handled it.

In my opinion, it's not an endorsement of their customer service or the manufacturer's service policies.

edit: considering they are "dualled" up with Honda, you would expect a less painful experience.

I am not saying anyone should judge this dealer based on his experience with one or two employees, but if the best they can do is blame the OP for being a bonehead, that doesn't make it an appealing option for ownership. BTW, I did not say, "Never buy from them" , only that I won't be. Their response certainly confirms my personal choice. If other people like them, that speaks well of their operation, at least as far as those who continue to patronize them

Still, it reminds me why people don't like to do business with car and motorcycle dealers in general. I was a GM at a 3 point car dealer for a number of years, and in first year ( I was the clean up crew) I heard a lot of complaints from people who had paid us a lot of money, only to be left with a bad impression of our store. That included the sales, parts and service depts. It took years to rebuild the trust and confidence in our customer base but there were some we had lost forever, because of our own shit attitude and failure to face the truth about what people thought of us.
What do they say? "You only get one chance to make a good first impression."

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 01-31-2019 at 12:57 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:05 PM   #73
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat View Post
Given the other side of the story, I wouldn't say he's wrong.

I'd be weary of a dealership giving out key codes to people over the phone without positively proving that they own the bike.

Screen shot of registration and license would've been enough.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 PM   #74
day004
Major PITA

AMA Life Member #538338
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: VFR1200f
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefood View Post
Mobile locksmiths are such a ripoff. If the locksmith charges more reasonable prices if the bike is at the locksmith shop, just get the bike towed there. It will cost a hell of a lot less than $250. Give Dave a call: http://www.davescycle.com/
It's called the Stupid tax. You know it once you've paid it.
And yes, I've paid it.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is not.
day004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #75
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by day004 View Post
It's called the Stupid tax. You know it once you've paid it.
And yes, I've paid it.
I got to be on a first name basis with a place named "Pop-A-Lock" in San Bruno when I had my Toyota FJC. It had this peculiar feature that would lock the doors 30 seconds after you exited the vehicle. Nothing like getting out, realizing your key is on the passenger seat, and just as you reach for the latch, you hear the car "Bleep, Slam"... and it's time to call Pop-A-Lock. I started carrying a key that would at least open the doors. (not start it)

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville