Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Easy to say that, but it massively oversimplifies the reality. The reality is that the land surrounding the track was privately owned, intended to eventually be developed and subject to the same protections an existing residential community would have. The claim is that the original sound studies were flawed and dramatically underestimated the noise impact on the surrounding properties.

I love Laguna, but the argument that it's just a few rich people who built next to the airport and complained is nonsense. And, anyone who has spent any time in the general area, even 3-5 miles away, on an unrestricted noise day will tell you that the sound really carries through the hills and it's not exactly pleasant. The other thing that's causing problems is that, as car track days have grown in popularity, so has the noise, because the cars can cheat the sound check at Laguna very easily and run most of their lap with full exhaust. And they are doing it.
Good points.

I went to the US GP back in 1990 and I don't remember the bikes being anywhere near as loud as today's MotoGP bikes!
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #32
MysterYvil
On a break

AMA #: 2858947
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Alas, they are all in the past
Name:
Quote:
Easy to say that, but it massively oversimplifies the reality. The reality is that the land surrounding the track was privately owned, intended to eventually be developed and subject to the same protections an existing residential community would have. The claim is that the original sound studies were flawed and dramatically underestimated the noise impact on the surrounding properties.

I love Laguna, but the argument that it's just a few rich people who built next to the airport and complained is nonsense. And, anyone who has spent any time in the general area, even 3-5 miles away, on an unrestricted noise day will tell you that the sound really carries through the hills and it's not exactly pleasant. The other thing that's causing problems is that, as car track days have grown in popularity, so has the noise, because the cars can cheat the sound check at Laguna very easily and run most of their lap with full exhaust. And they are doing it.
Eventually? Laguna Seca opened 52 years ago.

I'm going to go with rich people whining. As they do...
MysterYvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #33
sf250gto
Zen

Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I went to the US GP back in 1990 and I don't remember the bikes being anywhere near as loud as today's MotoGP bikes!
Don't recall the 1990 bikes, but the Battle of the Twins in the late 70's and early 80's scrambled your innards. And then there were the CanAm cars.
sf250gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #34
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Good points.

They were 500 two smokes until 2002 and a couple after that.

They were not as loud, but they did sound bad ass!!
Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #35
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Eventually? Laguna Seca opened 52 years ago.

I'm going to go with rich people whining. As they do...
And there were already some houses in the area, including on what is now Pasadera, before the track was opened. The family that owned that land bought it in the early 50's. It was always going to be housing and the owner of that property had a right to develop that and have the value of their land protected. It's not a simple black and white issue. Very grey and many of the opponents claim that the noise studies that were performed (because they were required to prove the track would not be a nuisance to the surrounding properties) were flawed.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #36
MysterYvil
On a break

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:
And there were already some houses in the area, including on what is now Pasadera, before the track was opened. The family that owned that land bought it in the early 50's. It was always going to be housing and the owner of that property had a right to develop that and have the value of their land protected. It's not a simple black and white issue. Very grey and many of the opponents claim that the noise studies that were performed (because they were required to prove the track would not be a nuisance to the surrounding properties) were flawed.
Waah, waah, value of their land. They bought it dirt cheap hoping to score big. Maybe they should have invested in something that added value for many instead of banking on greed and wretched excess.

Too bad their lotto bet didn't pay off.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #37
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Okay, but Laguna Seca was built on Fort Ord land, which was a darn artillery training center since the nineteen-teens. Supposedly there are still munitions out there somewhere. Not exactly a pristine and quiet neighborhood before the track was opened, if you get my car drift.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #38
MysterYvil
On a break

Contributor ++++++++++

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
Okay, but Laguna Seca was built on Fort Ord land, which was a darn artillery training center since the nineteen-teens. Supposedly there are still munitions out there somewhere. Not exactly a pristine and quiet neighborhood before the track was opened, if you get my car drift.
In the early 90s we could hear their live fire exercises clearly in south Salinas.

Now they people who chose to live there complain about motorsport and firing range noise as well as air traffic noise from the Monterey Airport.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:41 PM   #39
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Idk man, my R1 with aftermarket exhaust + DB killers (still significantly louder than stock) went through a whole day at Laguna Seca no problems... didn't get flagged once. Absolute worst case is you have to lift off through one small section of the track, but it's not like it's a race anyway.
They are roving now. Almost always on bikes, it's intake noise not exhaust noise that sets off the sound meters.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #40
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
Quote:
Huh... regarding Pasadera, Laguna Seca golf course was opened long after the track, in 1970. Pasadera devolopement was initiated by the Lombardos in the 90’s, early ‘00s after they were denied development of Rancho Canada in Carmel Valley, long after the track. Add in developements like Markham Ranch in the 90s, also long after the track was there. Additional developement in the Laurales area also brought in a lot of people that later complained about the track.

What was at the track location before Laguna Seca? A US Army artillery range all the way up to the mid 50s....

The Ryan Ranch area was barely there, York School, a few houses, and offices.

Last edited by Johndicezx9; 02-13-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Johndicezx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #41
Johndicezx9
Rolls with it...

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: :o)
Name: John
You could hear the Ca Am cars in Monterey, at the wharf, when they raced, they were that loud.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 AM   #42
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 R1, 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
They are roving now. Almost always on bikes, it's intake noise not exhaust noise that sets off the sound meters.
Did that change for 2019 ? The track day I did at Laguna last year had only one sound station, which was CLEARLY pointed out several times during the day, by both the booth operators and the TDP.
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #43
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
They were 500 two smokes until 2002 and a couple after that.

They were not as loud, but they did sound bad ass!!
The corkscrew has always been spectacular, but seeing Wayne Rainey fly past everybody on the old Turn 1 was an amazing thing to see.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #44
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Did that change for 2019 ? The track day I did at Laguna last year had only one sound station, which was CLEARLY pointed out several times during the day, by both the booth operators and the TDP.
They've been doing it for a few years now.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #45
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterYvil View Post
Waah, waah, value of their land. They bought it dirt cheap hoping to score big. Maybe they should have invested in something that added value for many instead of banking on greed and wretched excess.

Too bad their lotto bet didn't pay off.

It's a race track, not some great social good uplifting the poor from poverty. Maybe instead of burning gas and making tons of noise people should do something useful with their time and money?

Wretched excess is a pretty good description of motorsports....huge sums of money, fuel and land to keep a small group of pretty wealthy people entertained.
bpw is online now   Reply With Quote