Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #16
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Motorcycles: SV650, XR400, YZ125
Name: Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerzone02 View Post
Getting married this year and the wife and I are looking to do a two-up tour around June. We're looking for the following:

1. Good riding (twisties, mountains, scenic etc)
2. Smooth'ish roads. The girly doesn't want to be bouncing around on the back for a week.
3. Decent motorcycle for two-up (very objective)
4. Good accommodations. This is her trip as well, we cant be slumming it for a full week.
5. Food, drinks, and fun!

Bonus points:
1. Warm sunny beaches

Right now our top pick is the orient express tour which is through Romania, Bulgaria, and Turkey. Some other places we were thinking, Italy, Mexico/Central America, Argentina/South America, Greece. It doesn't have to be guided and we aren't against riding my bike out from the Bay Area. Who knows the next time we'll be able to do something like this so let's make it epic!
Spain to Greece, follow the coast. Croatia would be killer.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
frozenuts
I make words too.

AMA #: 2860804
Barf Racing Photo Guru
Contributor + Barf Brick

Motorcycles: A revolving stable of press machines.
Name: Other Max
Leod Escapes put on an incredible tour wherever they go.

The timing might not be right to hit up one of their tours, but I had a blast riding with them through Spain.

For bikes as well as suggested routes, IMT Bike out of Barcelona would be a strong recommendation as well. Ask for Sergi, and tell him Max says Yallah Ramallah.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #18
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Another vote for Spain, great roads, minimal traffic, beautiful and good food.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #19
dangerzone02
Veteran

Motorcycles: FJ-09, R6
Name:
Thanks all for the recommendations. Got a ton of research to do. I'll post up when the decision has been made!
dangerzone02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Try this:

1. Do your riding trip.
2. Short rest
3. Then do something you know would thrill her and that she'd remember the rest of her life. (even if she likes riding and no, not the marrying you thing)

You are a blessed person. Do #3 even if she liked #1 and your blessings will continue for a very long time. You have what every guy with a craigslist ad up selling because "my wife said it has to go" wished they had.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #21
dangerzone02
Veteran

Motorcycles: FJ-09, R6
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
Try this:

1. Do your riding trip.
2. Short rest
3. Then do something you know would thrill her and that she'd remember the rest of her life. (even if she likes riding and no, not the marrying you thing)

You are a blessed person. Do #3 even if she liked #1 and your blessings will continue for a very long time. You have what every guy with a craigslist ad up selling because "my wife said it has to go" wished they had.
Good advice and also a possibility. And yes I've been blessed with a SO that supports my riding
dangerzone02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #22
LectricBill
Kicks Gas

Contributor

Motorcycles: Brammo Empulse R, FJ-09
Name: Duh.
Another tour company I've used and liked:

https://bmca.com/
LectricBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
strictlyJDM
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Fun red ones
Name:
Swiss alps

Lady and you will love it. Catch a moto GP race if time aligns as well.
strictlyJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #24
Tri750
Mr. Knew it All

Contributor

Motorcycles: Current: '71 BMW R75 Racer, '73 Z1 Racer, '76 BMW R75/6, '76 Tri 750, '99 BMW R1100RT '07 Kymco 150S
Name: Big Al
Did the Edelweiss tour of NZ but due to weather, they only do Jan or Feb I think and because of the travel distance, it's 2 weeks.
There is a guy on the South Islands that rents bikes , all types, and really , you want to see the South Island anyway if you ask me.
He can guide or plot out a route.
Nicer hotels are easy to find .
The food, roads, people are great.
You just don't want to intrude on the Mauri areas unless they are true "tourist friendly"
Watch for beach areas with signs warn of sand flies. They aren't kidding.
It's life changing, the beauty and laid back pace is the best of the best.
Tri750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #25
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Pyrenees Loop, France, Spain, side trip to Algave, Portugal

Did the Pyrenees "loop" a few years ago. Rented a BMW RS in Barcelona and 3 weeks later, did a 3 day stop in Algarve, Portugal. Portugal also riddled with main event twisties...
https://www.edelweissbike.com/en/touren/?c=pyt We didn't ride with Edelweiss, but this page shows the basic route.

Roads, food, roads, food, repeat.

Also Scotland is f-ing Amazing. We picked up bike in Glasgow and rode the coastline perimeter of Scotland. A little rain, and riding on the left is very odd for the first day or 2, but Scotland is truly a postcard a minute, and plenty of winding roads, like forever.
We met some riders on this tour https://www.motorrad-tours.com/tours...ands-scotland/ and followed them for most of a day, mostly Scottish guys/gals, and competent riders. They kept up a good pace, too, none of that HarleyStoppingShit all the time.

Next time, we'll do a tour, when youre on your own, it's easy to get out in the middle of bumfuckegypt and not have a clue.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 02-18-2019 at 06:49 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:12 AM   #26
Underdog
Prehistoric

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: '16 WR250R (3k) '14 Ninja1K (60k) '07 FJR1300A (93k)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Spain to Greece, follow the coast. Croatia would be killer.
This.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #27
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
One, and one more thing.

....if you rent a bike anywhere they drive/ride on left, allow yourself at least one day to get in to the left driving thing.

We arrived in Glasgow in late afternoon on dark, stormy day, at rush hour. I learned to ride on the left over the next 1.5 hours, while riding two up on a strange bike, loaded with gear in side cases, top case and tankbag, in a town I know nothing about, on the Wrong Side Of the Road, with aggressive, impatient Scottish commuters all up our 6. It was 11 miles across town to our hotel, and by the time we got there, I was fully-spent and needed psychiatric emergency care. I recommend taking possession of your rental early in the Day Time if you are in the UK, NZ, Oz, or any place they drive left.

We used these Suggested Rides to help plan our route. We made all our reservations based on about a 3-4 hour riding day, or 300 miles each day. Plenty of time for stopping, eating, chatting or drying out, which is a necessity in the UK just about anytime of year.
Another good resource is this page https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...-motorcyclist/
Get familiar with Left Driving around city streets, and secondary roads to really acclimate. My wife was a great help, over the intercom...
"Stay left! You're in the fucking wrong lane!" etc etc She frequently tapped my left shoulder as a reminder, as I did wander to the center of most roads and found that I did gradually ease to the right, even after days riding left.
Study Intl signs, too. So you aren't surprised by them.

Making Right-Hand turns was very daunting at first, since it's the opposite-equivalent of turning left everywhere else.

The next 2 weeks were f-ing awesome, as we did a full circumnavigation of the Scottish Coast/ Highlands and villages. Best, trip, ever. But that first 1.5 hours in Glasgow were a stress-test.
Do this loop at least once in your life. Like the Shoreline Hwy, only it goes on and on and on and on, wonderfully! These roads are more technical so you'll only want to ride about 150-200 miles per day at the most.

We brought our own suits, boots, gloves and helmets, fitted with Sena Intercoms that we are familiar with. Sometimes rental gear is ill-fitting or unfamiliar. I think it's worth the extra cash to bring all your own gear. We packed it up in a large duffel, wrapping our helmets in foam to keep them from getting scuffed or crushed in baggage hold.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 02-25-2019 at 12:15 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 02:21 PM   #28
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
I learned to ride on the left over the next 1.5 hours, while riding two up on a strange bike, loaded with gear in side cases, top case and tankbag, in a town I know nothing about, on the Wrong Side Of the Road, with aggressive, impatient Scottish commuters all up our 6. It was 11 miles across town to our hotel, and by the time we got there, I was fully-spent and needed psychiatric emergency care.
Thankfully, in Scotland, as I understand it, they sell psychiatric emergency care by the liter.

It's supposed to be quite good.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #29
wakked1
Wookie

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: ADV 1190R, TE610/SM, Speed Triple R, ...
Name: Lucas
We did Tours, France down through the Pyrenees, cut west to San Sebastian, back north to Tours. Flew in/out of Paris, but train to/from Tours. Cheaper than renting in Paris and TBH faster to boot. Beware central Spain in the summer is scorching hot!
Old 03-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #30
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Having spent 40 years in Germany and seen a few places I would recommend the passes in the Alps. Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, Austria. Road surface is always better than CA. Traffic can be heavy at times with flatlanders/ tourists. Also there will be some rain, least in September, it's not CA.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote