Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #16
jumph4x
Do more, bitch less.

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SMR
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnellbandit View Post
With lots of people using their phones as GPS/mapping and the future of HUD helmets that seem to be on the way no matter what, can the wireless charging systems be far behind?

Connecting devices seems quaint and is just another connector to go bad. Wireless chargers could be waterproof and charge the gps, through gloves charge your helmet communication or if your dare, your HUD Helmet not to mention heated socks, gloves etc.

No more plugging in. You just get on the bike, fire it up and everything is getting charged just because you're on it. Dongle free riding for those who must remain connected at all times.

I don't see the need for myself since other than a single GPS I don't gloss over "devices" or heated gear and HUD helmets but it seems like a natural for those who get into that stuff.
Not really, that's a lot of amps to be transfering through induction. Charging a SENA via gloves would be possible but it negates the the 'fraying' connector argument to make the situation considerably worse.

Not to mention the obvious problems with putting inductive coils into something like a glove, that moves and bends all the time.

180+HP SMLOL www.1290smr.com

500+HP DRFTBNZ www.dapperdrift.com
155″ WB OFFIS VAN www.flickr.com
jumph4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
I like this thought exercise.

Metal-to-metal connections are the most efficient and reliable. Wireless inductive charging is less efficient and can be considerably less so (function of distance to coil, alignment positioning, coil area, etc). Like jumph4x says, getting coils into a glove is a challenge given the bending and conforming that occur plus your hands tend to move around while riding.

To inductively pass a lot of current you need larger coils so a the seat seems like prime real estate. Like fubar929 says, make the seat a large charge coil pad kinda like Aerostich's bead seat (is there really a market for this?!?)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 9.13.48 PM.png
Views:	0
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	517627

and have induction pick-ups on your pants. Like this....

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 8.47.06 PM.png
Views:	0
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	517626
Quilting in photo = pick-up pads (not my ass btw ) which, in turn, are wired to a vest. Gotta run wires from cheeks up to vest. Easier on a 1-piece. A 2-piece suit would still require a physical metal-to-metal-contact connector in the circuit

Bottom line you have to weigh the cost of an expensive wireless charger vs a $1 connector.
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #18
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
What if you are stalked by a Quilt-Fetishist? Some people might get a Charge from those pants that you'd rather avoid.

(Sorry, that was irresistible)

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 02-19-2019 at 10:58 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:10 PM   #19
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumph4x View Post
Not really, that's a lot of amps to be transfering through induction. Charging a SENA via gloves would be possible but it negates the the 'fraying' connector argument to make the situation considerably worse.

Not to mention the obvious problems with putting inductive coils into something like a glove, that moves and bends all the time.
And inductive coils by themselves are pretty inefficient. Usually, some sort of ferrite core is required which adds to the bulk.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #20
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar929 View Post
Clearly, the seat would have to be the charger and your riding pants would have a metal ass so they could transfer power to the rest of your gear
The seat would need to have an alignment pin.
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #21
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
The efficiency of the charger is nice in theory but in practice does it really matter much? It's not like the source (bike's charging system) is often overtaxed and it's also not a race to see how fast something would charge.

So does it really matter much in reality if a metal to metal connection is more efficient than some other means? If plugging in via connectors is idea for you by all means but more and more things are going to way of wireless charging. So long as whatever is being charged is charges adequately does it matter is one way is less efficient than another? If so, then just what happens to the excess energy being shunted to ground? It's wasted. That can't be efficient.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #22
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Quote:
The efficiency of the charger is nice in theory but in practice does it really matter much? It's not like the source (bike's charging system) is often overtaxed and it's also not a race to see how fast something would charge.

So does it really matter much in reality if a metal to metal connection is more efficient than some other means? If plugging in via connectors is idea for you by all means but more and more things are going to way of wireless charging. So long as whatever is being charged is charges adequately does it matter is one way is less efficient than another? If so, then just what happens to the excess energy being shunted to ground? It's wasted. That can't be efficient.
I guess the thread title is wireless charging and I thought for a while how I could make my own for my go-pro. I think the topic morphed into heating gear and now efficiency?

I've never personally seen one of these...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stator.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	517648  
Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #23
RVFRick
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: '90 NC27, '94 MC28, '82 C70. Projects: '94 & 95 NC35s, '81 C70.
Name: Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
The seat would need to have an alignment pin.
Better, but(t) you still have freedom of movement in rotation. Few riders sit in one place while riding. Anyways I wasn't thinking one giant coil but several arrayed across the charging surfaces.

Quote:

Right. Losses, given off as heat, are arguably minimal but overtaxing can be a concern depending on the power draw and the bikes output. Inefficiency adds cost and limits design options. For example, you might make up for losses by expanding the charge area - seat space is finite (esp. if you have a skinny ass). Some might suggest adding coils to other areas of the bike like the tank in which case you might end up with this:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  25.0 KB
RVFRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #24
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
I guess the thread title is wireless charging and I thought for a while how I could make my own for my go-pro. I think the topic morphed into heating gear and now efficiency?

I've never personally seen one of these...
Burned up stators are pretty common, especially if you have a shunt type R/R. Under taxing the electrical system causes the stator shunt it's full output to ground.
Most bikes don't have all that much capacity to run gear. Heated grips, aux lights and a heated jacket will put most electrical systems at or above their max capacity.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Burned up stators are pretty common, especially if you have a shunt type R/R. Under taxing the electrical system causes the stator shunt it's full output to ground.
Most bikes don't have all that much capacity to run gear. Heated grips, aux lights and a heated jacket will put most electrical systems at or above their max capacity.
Your commentary ruins the hyperbole effect of that image.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #26
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFRick View Post
Better, but(t) you still have freedom of movement in rotation. Few riders sit in one place while riding. Anyways I wasn't thinking one giant coil but several arrayed across the charging surfaces.Attachment 517649
Sitting on a bunch of ferrite coils would be uncomfortable, I would imagine. And precise alignment of the coils on your gear and the coils on the seat would still be required. Though not comfortable, a single large coil with a post in the middle would probably work best.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #27
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Once we can miniaturize super conductors, this will all be possible.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #28
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
Sitting on a bunch of ferrite coils would be uncomfortable, I would imagine. And precise alignment of the coils on your gear and the coils on the seat would still be required. Though not comfortable, a single large coil with a post in the middle would probably work best.
Not any less comfortable than many stock seats.

I dare say, watching some people on long rides slide back an forth and squirm they could probably generate enough energy to charge anything.
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote