Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Motorcycles: Sumo?
Name: 1ArmdBndt
Anyone ever done a Showerloop for your trailer/camping?

Been eyeballing a setup like this for the cargo trailer I just picked up
https://www.instructables.com/id/Showerloop/

I would rather not deal with the hassle of installing fresh/grey water tanks in the trailer. If I could do a self-contained shower like this, it would make camping (away from the track, especially) much easier.

A lot of you have 100x the handyman experience I do. Have any of you done something similar? How'd it turn out?
cg_ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
Charles R
Veteran

Motorcycles: '08 Concours 14; 120,000miles and counting...
Name:
Still looks pretty big and involved. I could see investing in something like that if i were going to spend months at a time in resource scarce areas. But my usual mode is to just get a motel room every few days.

www.charlespixels.com
Charles R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
MapleRoad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
If I were attempting this project, I'd get rid of all the fancy acrylic stuff that requires CNC. I'd use ugly PVC with simple connectors. Separate the media with screens (which require low-tech scissors). An especially clever person would use a threaded cap on top, which would allow inspection/replacement of the filtration media. I would just seal the whole thing with glue and build a new one in ten years.

What are you thinking about for the process? I imagine it's something like: Heat up water (stove or water heater), pour it into the shower, hit the go button and "Shower on, Wayne!" And after the shower you open a drain valve outside.

I would also think about the wet filtration media sitting for a few months while damp. Sounds like a mold nightmare. Not a problem on a shower used daily, but it could be a problem for your setup. I don't have a good solution for that, other than doing a bleach flush before any storage.

It sounds like a fun project! Good luck.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

^^ Not much more involved than installing a regular shower in a trailer, really. Just more compact and some different design methodologies. Plus the added benefit of not needing the frequently dump grey water (or deal with Thunderhill''s swamp water )

^ Yea, the not-used-everyday issue of algae buildup could be problematic. Possibly solved by a flush with mild chlorine/bleach before storage.

Last edited by cg_ops; 02-19-2019 at 01:45 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Seems like an interesting idea for water scarce california homes, especially if you have a daughter (or son) who love to take a long shower. Fit in a filter and instantaneous heater element to keep the water at the right temp and you've got a device that would reduce water usage.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
One look at that thing made me wonder what it was made to distill.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Cornfish
Veteran

AMA #3288739
3% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 S, 2016 KTM 250 XC-F
Name:
I've considered adding this to my cargo trailer:

https://www.roadshower.com
Cornfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Matty D
Rookie

Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09
Name:
Pretty cool and has a lot of potential in concept. But (and not to be negative) also complicated and has the potential to need a lot of maintenance, and take up a lot of room. I also have to wonder about flow levels, water pressure, temperature, bacteria, etc.

I have a Sprinter with a 25-gallon fresh water tank, no grey water tank, and on-demand hot water through an ESPAR hydronic unit. The shower is a hand held unit off the back. Works great and doesn't take up much room.

That said, I'm a fan of the KISS rule. Throw a couple solar showers in that trailer and call it good?
Matty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #9
cg_ops
1-Armed Bandit

Ideally the setup would be to have something that everyone could shower with (2-6 people) for 2-7 days and not need to fill/dump the water. The kits I've seen have been as small as fitting in a 3x3' square, including the shower. I read that bacteria could be managed via measured doses of chlorine while not in use.

Aside from changing the filters periodically, how would it be any more complicated or failure prone than a standard RV/Trailer shower setup?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
russ69
Backside Slider

Motorcycles: I like 'em
Name: Russ
Just race at Laguna and Buttonwillow, they have showers, problem solved.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!"
russ69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
MapleRoad
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: '13 Tiger XC 800
Name:
I was thinking solo when I made my suggestion. What do you have available to heat the water? (Electrical/propane/diesel?).

If you have shore power available, I'd use an instant hot water heater at the shower head. If you have an onboard power inverter, you might be able to run a point-of-use tank water heater.

The roadshower gives me an idea, that you could put a black ABS pipe on the roof to heat the water up during the day, if you're parked in sunlight. You would pump the water up there after the showers are done so it heats up again the next day. The last person through is probably going to have a lukewarm shower, though.
MapleRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Water is very heavy. For most RVs and trailers that don't have much slope to the roof, the lack of incline can cause lots of problems when enough weight for a hot shower is put up there.

Why not just get one of those propane fired portable hot water heaters? A couple hundred bucks and you'll have plenty of hot water anywhere you have a water and propane supply. You can put those things in your SUV or car although the propane isn't ideally transported in closed vehicles. Those water heaters are small and easily setup (minutes) and are pretty efficient.

You'll end up spending cost to that trying to fabricate something that barely works and later becomes a maintenance problem.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 02-20-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #13
Matty D
Rookie

Motorcycles: '15 FJ-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg_ops View Post
Ideally the setup would be to have something that everyone could shower with (2-6 people) for 2-7 days and not need to fill/dump the water. The kits I've seen have been as small as fitting in a 3x3' square, including the shower. I read that bacteria could be managed via measured doses of chlorine while not in use.

Aside from changing the filters periodically, how would it be any more complicated or failure prone than a standard RV/Trailer shower setup?
It's a super cool idea with a lot of potential, and it sounds like you've been doing some good research. For that volume it sounds like you'd be asking a lot from those filters, so hopefully that part is figured out. Conceptually, and I'm not sure I'd want to shower in the run-off from 5 of my buddies for a week, chlorine or otherwise. (Actually I don't even really want to shower in my [I]own[I] run-off like that.)

But hey, stranger things have turned out to be awesome and revolutionary. And certainly you might not need it every day, especially if there are lakes, rivers, and an ocean around. Give it a go and let us know how it goes!
Matty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #14
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Keep it simple, buy a garden sprayer and leave it sitting in the sun for a few hours. Gives a decent shower with only a gallon of water or so.

Most places a gallon or two of grey water on the ground won't bother anyone.
bpw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #15
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
Still looks pretty big and involved. I could see investing in something like that if i were going to spend months at a time in resource scarce areas. But my usual mode is to just get a motel room every few days.
If you need to save money or like camping out service station bathroom/WashCloth/Toothbrush... etc. You can even wash your hair with a gob of soap and a tin cup in a river if your in the deep backcountry.

I do the camp 2 nights, then motel cheapo on the 3rd night, at least until I am sick of sleeping in the dirt, on a roll of foam. Then it's Best Western all the way.

That shower gizmo is nice but not as practical and compact as one of those camp shower bags you hang up in a tree. If that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

I've seen surfers using this kind of thing, too. Looks OK. https://goo.gl/PDURf3

This one has some intriguing features, but some features shown may not be included due to CA regulations, which are tremendously restrictive.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville

Last edited by moto-rama; 02-20-2019 at 11:04 PM..
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote