Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #361
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Another reason to show lane sharing is reasonable when traffic is backed up, she could have slowly filtered between cars and probably be more safe than possibly getting rear ended in traffic...or obviously what transpired ( if it was legal in that state I mean ).
I don't know how far she was leaving a gap, but I leave gaps as much as I'm conscious of it. And they're at least a car length. I leave these gaps because if for some reason the cars in front of me stall, I can easily get out of the lane and move on. Most gaps are much tighter than that and require backing up.

So, this guy would probably be knocking on my window in my car if it were me.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:20 AM   #362
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
I don't always leave a big gap but when on a bike its not a bad idea in case the car on front runs over an object lying on the road. You'd have a better chance of seeing and reacting to it as it comes into view as the car passes over it.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #363
U26A1
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Gas & Electric
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Another reason to show lane sharing is reasonable when traffic is backed up, she could have slowly filtered between cars and probably be more safe than possibly getting rear ended in traffic...or obviously what transpired ( if it was legal in that state I mean ).
Agreed -- I can't even count the number of times I've used lanesplitting as a "remove myself from the vicinity of driver setting off my spidey sense" mechanism.
U26A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #364
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherearwheel View Post
When does a vehicle become a deadly weapon?

By how it is used.

Same applies with a gun.

Gun on a person hip exposed or not is not deadly.

It amazing how many fear just the sight of a gun, but not a car. Both can be used to kill people.

This is how ill-rational people have become, how programmed most are.

Next time you go on a group ride, ask yourself how many are armed? You don't know huh. I'd rather know who is armed.

Person you are chit chatting with at a stop, just might be armed to the teeth, having good mental health day, and you'd never know it.

Just think about that.

Point is open carry is better than CCW. Why, cause you know who is armed. Oh, and don't think there are those with CCW that really shouldn't have them.

Nice little video.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis
I'll preface this by saying I am not anti-gun or anti-assault rifle. I participate in shooting sports (sporting clays is the extent of my experience), though not with military 'assault' weapons:

The glaring difference between a car and a gun is that a gun can be drawn and fired in a second and hurt you from a distance. A car cannot. I would dare say that more people have been killed intentionally with a firearm than have been killed intentionally with a car. I don't flinch or have a panic attack when I see a pistol on someone's hip. I regularly spend time in Arizona, and though I only see an open carry occasionally, I don't give it a second thought. But a lot of people perceive a displayed weapon as a threat, and when a stranger displays a concealed weapon to you, depending on the circumstances, they're doing it for a reason: to intimidate you. That's a threat in my book.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by HeatXfer; 02-27-2018 at 10:50 AM..
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #365
pepesm
Really?

Motorcycles: Rambling along the road on the Scrambler.
Name:
Well, a person with an open-carry weapon in this day and age would be considered: a) un-sociable b) scary c) a creep d) someone you don't want to talk to nor meet with.

That's my opinion. :-/
Past rides: '78 T. Bonny, '89 Honda Hawk NT650, '97 Szki GSXR-750, BMW R1200C, Szki SV650 nekkid, BMW R1150R Rockster, Honda CR125, Kawasaki ZRX1200R, KTM SMC640, Ducati Multistrada 620, Ducati Multistrada 1000DS S, Ducati Multistrada 1200S GT.
pepesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #366
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepesm View Post
Well, a person with an open-carry weapon in this day and age would be considered: a) un-sociable b) scary c) a creep d) someone you don't want to talk to nor meet with.
Not in Arizona.

You may not want to be with them, like perhaps you wouldn't want to be with, say, a smoker.

But they're most likely not a, b, or c.

It draws my eye because I'm not from Arizona, so it's unfamiliar to me. But it is quite routine over there.

Also appreciate that now in AZ you can carry open or concealed without a permit of any kind. A permit offers, I think, the ability to perhaps carry in more places, but on the whole, most anyone can carry most anywhere. IANAL.

Just part of the landscape over there.
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #367
RRR70
The Gun Guy

AMA #: 1019218
Friendly Ukrainian Gun Dealer
BARFIE winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor ! +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++BB

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 - orange pig. 2005 FXSTI
Name: Roman
Quote:

You need to get out of California more
Old 02-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #368
Junkie
gone for now

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: n/a
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Not in Arizona.

You may not want to be with them, like perhaps you wouldn't want to be with, say, a smoker.

But they're most likely not a, b, or c.

It draws my eye because I'm not from Arizona, so it's unfamiliar to me. But it is quite routine over there.

Also appreciate that now in AZ you can carry open or concealed without a permit of any kind. A permit offers, I think, the ability to perhaps carry in more places, but on the whole, most anyone can carry most anywhere. IANAL.

Just part of the landscape over there.
Federal law says you can't carry within 1000' of a school without a permit. In urban areas, you're typically within 1000' of a school.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #369
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Federal law says you can't carry within 1000' of a school without a permit. In urban areas, you're typically within 1000' of a school.
Dafuq? Really? 1000 feet is less than a quarter of a mile. Are you really saying there's schools typically within less than a quarter of a mile in suburban areas? Me thinks not.
295566 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #370
splat
Veteran

Motorcycles: Mostly red ones
Name: Mark
Quote:

You cannot make a statement in the affirmative only to back it up with "That's my opinion." You need to get out of Mayberry and see the world for what it is.

I'm sure people do see it that why, especially here in CA (in which you cannot open carry), but it's not quite as you've painted it.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #371
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:

I live in Louisiana full time now and we have open carry. It is not that bad. Sure there are a one or two sketchy people (when isn't there in a population group) who open carry but for the most part they are normal everyday people like you and me who want to have the means to defend themselves and with the open carry law they are allowed to do it and everyone around them knows they are so not as big an issue.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #372
pepesm
Really?

Name:
I grew up in Texas. I see a plenty of gun owners. My dad's one of them and no he doesn't carry it. He let me shoot cans of buttwipers (Budweiser) with his nice Luger 9mm and a few other pistols. I met varies of individuals in different states and countries. Along the way, I met people who shouldn't have a gun nor talk about it.

Remember I said it's just my opinion and no need to take it one millyun miles into it. Opinions don't usually matter.

By the by, today's not the Old Wild West. Probably the only time when one have to carry a gun is when one is camping out in Alaska. No? ;-)
Past rides: '78 T. Bonny, '89 Honda Hawk NT650, '97 Szki GSXR-750, BMW R1200C, Szki SV650 nekkid, BMW R1150R Rockster, Honda CR125, Kawasaki ZRX1200R, KTM SMC640, Ducati Multistrada 620, Ducati Multistrada 1000DS S, Ducati Multistrada 1200S GT.

Last edited by pepesm; 02-27-2018 at 04:30 PM..
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #373
pepesm
Really?

Name:
Or maybe some hillbilly country, you need to protect your butthole or they'll make u squeal like a pig.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #374
LakeMerrit
*Merritt

Contributor + 4%

Motorcycles: '04 Triumph Speedy 955
Name:
Quote:
I grew up in Texas. I see a plenty of gun owners. My dad's one of them and no he doesn't carry it. He let me shoot cans of buttwipers (Budweiser) with his nice Luger 9mm and a few other pistols. I met varies of individuals in different states and countries. Along the way, I met people who shouldn't have a gun nor talk about it.

Remember I said it's just my opinion and no need to take it one millyun miles into it. Opinions don't usually matter.

By the by, today's not the Old Wild West. Probably the only time when one have to carry a gun is when one is camping out in Alaska. No? ;-)
I actually stopped carrying while fishing / backpacking / etc in Alaska. Bear spray has proven more effective, and the requisite round leads to quite a heavy firearm to be carrying around.

I've only recently started carrying in the woods again, and it is only really when fly fishing in northern California (not Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, etc.). Not for fear of bears, but as a precaution against the crazies who like to come down to the river and aggressively harass. When I'm by myself or with buddies I often forgo the sidearm, but when fly fishing with my wife in NorCal, it's always readily accessible.
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRyde View Post
Just remember, ktm da best!
LakeMerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #375
Kestrel
CAPTAIN VOLVO

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350-SM/Dirt
Name:
^

The data on bear spray is pretty incredible. This is an entertaining and very informative lecture by one of the most renowned experts on bear behavior. Really great advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExlT-5VU-Y
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote