BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto

Old 11-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
quicksparks
Veteran

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Enduro, Trials, Freeway Tard
Name:
DMV question -- possible to plate a 2007 KTM 250 XCF-W?

Ultimately I'd want a more freeway capable sumo, but in the interest of keeping my life simple and overhead costs low, I'm curious about converting my current dirt bike to a kart track supermoto and possibly putting on the requisite lights and license plate to be a fun around-town bike.

Anyone know what hoops I'd have to jump through? Is it straightforward, a grey area (gotta know someone who knows someone), or impossible?

Thanks!
quicksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
quicksparks
Veteran

1% Contributor

Name:
To reply to my own question: I'm asking because I know my bike is street legal in some states. Also, pretty sure it's street legal in Europe. So I'm hoping it is CARB approved and can legitimately be licensed for the street. I can find a definitive answer eventually with more googling. Guess I'm just asking on BARF because if someone here has done it before, I'll put more faith in that answer than whatever I find elsewhere on the internet.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Map8
Don't H8

BARF Moderator - BARF Sponsor
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2017 Df3, YZ250F/SM (parting out), DRZ400SM, KTM 450SMR, CRF230/sm
Name: Steve
Unlikely you will be able to get a legitimate plate. Doesn't matter if the bike is can be plated elsewhere*. What matters is the DMV regulations in California and they stopped allowing dirt bikes to be converted to street legal bikes in the fall of 2004. Some people have found DMV offices that are more lax but I think that is very rare and you are always taking a chance that the DMV computer will catch that the VIN identifies the bike as sold for off-road use and the street legal status will be revoked.

*If the bike was plated when you were a resident of another state, there may be an exception but that doesn't appear to be the case for you.

“Valentino is just a super down-to-earth, right on dude,” -Brad Baker

BARF Terms of Service
Map8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
quicksparks
Veteran

1% Contributor

Name:
Thanks, DogBoy. That's what I'm finding, too.

This document makes that more clear.

Quote:
Any off-highway
motorcycle purchased after December 31, 2003 is not eligible for on-highway or dual use registration unless the manufacturer originally certified the vehicle to meet the California on highway emission standards. Off-highway motorcycle owners eligible for a green sticker that purchased their vehicles prior to January 1, 2004 and have applied for on-highway or dual registration with the DMV prior to January 31, 2004, will be eligible for on-highway or dual use registration.
My bike is green sticker but emissions requirements for on-highway use are more strict than those for green sticker. Bikes purchased after January 2004 have to be explicitly street legal from the factory to be plated in CA (like the EXC).

Hmmm, track only though, might still be worth it.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Motorcycles: All of them eventually.
Name: nope
there are options:
- there are folks who say they can plate any bike for about $500. buyer beware and all that.
- find a legally plated frame and swap it in, I have a plated 2007 KTM 400xcw for dual sporting, you can get frames of that era with plates ($500-$1000).
- sell that bike and get one legally plated already (swap parts you may want to keep if getting same/similar model) if you really want a plated bike
- just put street rubber on your 21/18 setup to get started having fun on kart tracks, you'll be surprised how fast you can go on that before worrying about 17s. Brakes next, then suspension, then 17s
- get a small dedicated already built SM for the street and track, plated if you want to go there. Keep the KTM for the dirt (or sell it)

note that a 250 will suck for anything but around town riding, but you probably know that already.
You can't have it all, compromises must be made: freeway capability, light weight, low maintenance, high reliability, cheap, modern, track, street, dirt, SM suspension is different than dirt, so are brakes, etc.
Pick a couple of them that you need most and don't think yo can get them all.

Last edited by augustiron; 11-27-2014 at 08:32 AM..
augustiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)

Contributor +++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: '17 R6 track, '16 Little Kawk, ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 R3 track, '09 Zuma 125, '05 CRF
Name: Looney
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post
- just put street rubber on your 21/18 setup to get started having fun on kart tracks, you'll be surprised how fast you can go on that before worrying about 17s. Brakes next, then suspension, then 17s
This. It's the cheapest and easiest way to get a sense of how much you like tarding on that bike.

For myself, I'd put suspension higher up the list, but that's just me.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RZV500, RZ500, RG500 RZ350, RZ350 Hybrid, RD350LC, CR500AF, CR500AF #2
Name:
It can be done, I have done 2 CR500AF conversions using 2007 CRF250X chassis, Get a light kit, horn, mirrors (Tusk Kit) and speedo, street legal tires, Get a brake light test (mission Motorcycles etc) Bring it to the DMV and they will come out and check the VIN, They look for a 3 or a C in the 8th digit of the vin, The X doesn't have either, That's it, Oh, I run them on 16/39 gearing for the street, I also change out 5th gear to the 1987 5th gear as the 1991 is very lowly geared,

Better to burn out than fade away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tacky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RZV500, RZ500, RG500 RZ350, RZ350 Hybrid, RD350LC, CR500AF, CR500AF #2
Name:
This is my third build, Its currently getting the frame welded, Im using a 2009 frame on this one, All the X's have the same frame etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tacky1; 12-04-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
quicksparks
Veteran

1% Contributor

Name:
Thanks for your replies, August and Tacky.

Something to think about for sure. It would be fun to put street tires on the 250 just to get a feel...never tarded before.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

100% Agreed on the importance of suspension. I woke up in an ambulance leaving Stockton Motorplex after a nasty highside shortly after Brock warned me I was riding outside the capabilities of the stock suspension (and clearly my skills) on my dirt suspended XR650r. I had it done by PinIt Motorsports shortly thereafter.

As the OP seems uncommitted to Sumo I put brakes first because:
- Brakes are a lot cheaper than a full suspension re-pop and can be taken off and resold and the bike put back to stock/dirt easier.
- Once you respring/revalve a dirtbike for sumo, it will cost that much to make it a dirtbike again unless you have a second set of shocks and forks to keep one as dirt and one as sumo.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
And again, Suspension, brakes and tires, Critical to get the suspension sorted, These were built for offroad abuse,,,

Last edited by Tacky1; 12-11-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
augustiron
2fast 2live 2young 2die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky1 View Post
And again, Suspension, brakes, then tires, Critical to get the suspension sorted, These were built for offroad abuse,,,
He currently has a dirtbike, you want him to ride on knobbies?
Old 12-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
Tacky1
Veteran

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustiron View Post
He currently has a dirtbike, you want him to ride on knobbies?

Yep, More fun!!!!!

Typo fixed... Happy.

Last edited by Tacky1; 12-11-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
dee415
Rookie

Motorcycles: 09 CBR600, 09 DRZ400sm
Name:
Read this

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthrea...e-for-ANY-Bike!