Otei - Is that Silverstone? Cause I know it's not Cadwell
kneedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #212
Otei
Rookie

Motorcycles: Ducati 620 Monster "desmodue" racebike
Name:
Nope...It's Donington.

Coppice at Donington to be exact, so incase anyones lookin' at it and thinking "Christ, he's missed the apex by a mile" , then that's because it's a double apex like turn 7 at sears...except this one is over a blind crest!

One of my favourite corners..feels great to get it just right and feel it slide out a little on the exit.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #213
FASTCONK
Rookie

Net-Moto Racing Crew

Motorcycles: '01 FZ1 '99 R6
Name:
Couldn't have been Cadwell as there ain't no flat spot anywhere on Cadwell..well.. maybe the left before the right to the mountain..

Great track and great spectators.. made ya' feel right at home.
FASTCONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #214
Otei
Rookie

Name:
You mean this left!!!

You're right about Cadwell, great track, and barly a flat spot to be found..I'd even say that your description of this corner as flat would be pushing it a bit!

When did you ride Cadwell?, as they've changed it a bit now.

Best thing about the track....I only live 25 miles away! Woohoo!
Otei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 AM   #215
Otei
Rookie

Name:
He He..I won't rub it in by telling you that I'm only 60 miles away from Donington then.

Mind you, when you live in the UK, you're only ever 72 miles away from the sea at any given point...huge country it is!

Feel free to come over and sample Lincolnshire hospitality, Cadwell trackdays are generally about 85 GBP, which will be about $140-50 I guess.

A friend of mine is coming over from the Bay in July, so we'll do a Cadwell trackday, maybe a Donington one too, then he's gonna do an endurance race with us at Snetterton in Norfolk (100 miles away!)

I'm coming over to ride Infineon in Sep/Oct.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #216
Alexey
Hello, world!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RS125R, CBR600F4i, Bandit 1200S
Name:
Quote:
Originally posted by Otei
A friend of mine is coming over from the Bay in July, so we'll do a Cadwell trackday, maybe a Donington one too, then he's gonna do an endurance race with us at Snetterton in Norfolk (100 miles away!)

I'm coming over to ride Infineon in Sep/Oct.
How are racing costs there compared to the US? I mean overall, including bike costs, prep, as well as club fees.

"When you're down is where you find yourself
When you drown there's nothing else"
-- David Gilmour

Hofstadter's Law:
"A task always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #217
Otei
Rookie

Name:
I think that you'd find that most things cost more over here than they do in the US, so naturally, racing will follow suit.

I haven't done sprints for a couple of years, as I do endurance now (which I think is better value when comparing cost vs tracktime than sprints).

As an example, I think that races (sprints) usually run at around 100 GBP for 2 races, then another charge on top of that for any extra races. License is about 50GBP.

Some people throw serious cash at racing here in the UK, although I'm sure there is plenty of that going on in the States too. It'll be interesting to compare the two side by side, as I'm really not sure what they'll measure up like.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:17 PM   #218
Alexey
Hello, world!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: RS125R, CBR600F4i, Bandit 1200S
Name:
Quote:
I think that you'd find that most things cost more over here than they do in the US, so naturally, racing will follow suit.

I haven't done sprints for a couple of years, as I do endurance now (which I think is better value when comparing cost vs tracktime than sprints).

As an example, I think that races (sprints) usually run at around 100 GBP for 2 races, then another charge on top of that for any extra races. License is about 50GBP.

Some people throw serious cash at racing here in the UK, although I'm sure there is plenty of that going on in the States too. It'll be interesting to compare the two side by side, as I'm really not sure what they'll measure up like.
I'm with CCS and those numbers actually sound pretty much in the ballpark, depending on the GPB vs USD daily trading I guess. CCS charges $75 for first, $50 for second, and $35 for each subsequent sprint race.

"When you're down is where you find yourself
When you drown there's nothing else"
-- David Gilmour

Hofstadter's Law:
"A task always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law."
Alexey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #219
Otei
Rookie

Name:
$125 US Dollars equates to 71 GBP, so it costs approximately 30GBP less for your first 2 races in the CCS compared with most UK clubs.

Parts and such are alot more as well. For example, I was going to buy a Woodcraft casing for my 05 Gixxer 750, but NRC ones were cheaper. I checked the US Woodcraft site, and the left engine casing was $179.99, that's 104 GBP. In the UK that same cover costs 167.52 GBP !!!!!! It's much the same for alot of other stuff.

Add to that the fact that we generally get paid less per hour than you guys do, that housing is expensive...and the weather is total bullcheese....and you get to see why so many people want to leave!

We have great racetracks, shame everything else sucks.

I think I'll pay for my US trip in September by bringing back a couple of suitcases full of trick parts to sell when I get home.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #220
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
[i]

Parts and such are alot more as well. For example, I was going to buy a Woodcraft casing for my 05 Gixxer 750, but NRC ones were cheaper. I checked the US Woodcraft site, and the left engine casing was $179.99, that's 104 GBP. In the UK that same cover costs 167.52 GBP !!!!!! It's much the same for alot of other stuff.

I think I'll pay for my US trip in September by bringing back a couple of suitcases full of trick parts to sell when I get home. [/B]

wanker!
why didnt you send me the list so I can see what I can get it for you for?
John and your bro can slip into one of their shipments. They both owe you anyways I think.
--BL

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #221
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:

is this the one i get ta bin????

which of your teamates is riding it?

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #222
Otei
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
is this the one i get ta bin????

I'll be offended if you don't!

Quote:
which of your teamates is riding it?

SSSHHHHH!, they think it's me in the pic!

Here I am tryin' to be all cool and YOU turn up. Keeriiist!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #223
Otei
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
wanker!

Good to see you're pickin' up the lingo by the way.

I would have seen about getting the stuff via your good pickle self, but to be honest time was runnin' out so I justwent ahead and bought a different one. Will certainly think about it for the future though...good skills on the idea of bunging it in one of their shipments!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:05 PM   #224
FASTCONK
Rookie

Net-Moto Racing Crew

Motorcycles: '01 FZ1 '99 R6
Name:
Quote:
You mean this left!!!

You're right about Cadwell, great track, and barly a flat spot to be found..I'd even say that your description of this corner as flat would be pushing it a bit!

When did you ride Cadwell?, as they've changed it a bit now.

Best thing about the track....I only live 25 miles away! Woohoo!
Was there in 2001 for the BSB, spectating, stayed in Lincolnshire on the northwest side in a motel. Working in Telford for one month in august so went to Cadwell and Brands BSB as well as Assen WSBK.

Got to see some of the great BSB riders of the day, including the big man David Jeffries. He is more impressive on the road than circuit as it's what's between your legs on the road that counts..

Casey Stoner was racing 250's and 125's as well as the other brit now racing 250s, name slips right now..

Spectators talked of Barry Sheene racing there and flying in and out in his Helicopter. Had lot's of fun..
FASTCONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:02 AM   #225
Otei
Rookie

Name:
Sounds like you had a blast..that's a lot of quality racing to fit into a short visit!..nice one.

I raced against David Jeffries in my first ever season actually, he was a top bloke..always huge, even back in 1991, still hustled his RGV 250 round way quicker than me though

In fact, when I look back at who was racing in my series in 1991, It's like a who's who of British superbikes riders these days...Mike Rutter , James Haydon, John McGuiness, Sean Emmett, Callum Ramsey, Rob Frost toname a few. Unfortunately I didn't make it 'cos I ran out of money...um, and er...talent!

They've changed Cadwell quite a bit since you visited, some for the better, some not.

The biggest improvement safety wise, but not aesthetically is the removal of the big grassy bank full of trees that you used to brush your shoulder against as you hurtled through there...the BSB boys were always awesome to watch through there.

This is how it would have been when you went

This is how it is now:

As you can see (Ok, Ok It's a car pic, I know I know!) It's a lot safer now, but not as exciting.

They also used to say that the piece of land just beyone the old hairpin was unavailable for purchase, so they couldn't extend the miniscule (Read: Non existent) run off that was available. Jonathan Palmer had owned the place for about 3minutes and 45 seconds and he'd bought the "unbuyable" land and was working on an extension to the run off:

Before:

After:

Not much of an improvement, but the thought was thee, and the extra 10 feet or so might make a crucial difference to somebodys day!