Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
^^^

Seems a few callous statements, when taken out of context.

You try to be a driver.

I think I used to know 'an early Uber employee". Good guy, was good with beer.

It almost seems as though, even though you're aware (or not?) that employees supposedly can be replaced easily, you're looking for someone even more easily replaced.

Drivers are absolutely a part of something like Uber, they should definitely be employees. Take me for example, all I see from Uber is The drivers and The cars (and the last two I used were not new nor very clean anyway.) I don't see how can there have been any question about that, but hey
Do you even understand the whole point of Uber is to replace drivers with Robot Cars? That is their only path to profitability.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #62
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
Do you even understand the whole point of Uber is to replace drivers with Robot Cars? That is their only path to profitability.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #63
Bowling4Bikes
Steee-riiike!

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: '02 Ducati ST4s
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
why couldn't the cab companies do the same?

I believe their business model is to put the cab companies out of business, then raise their rates. I guess time will tell.
Bowling4Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #64
KittenMeat
Life: It's Terminal!

AMA #3299627

Motorcycles: 84 Kawi GPZ550 Brat/Hipster bike Honda BRINGTHEMTHAFKN-Ruckus
Name: Dr. Cat
why can't we just have a functioning subway instead of extremely dangerous private vehicles and leave driving for when you actually have to do it. The infrastructure I experienced in Japan was amazing and I could ride my bicycle (or a motorcycle if you got one there) out to far off places or out of the way spots and everything else was totally hassle free and cheap and the workers got decent wages and pensions who work for JR.

It was efficient, low risk/fatality rate (unless you're jumping onto the tracks on purpose) and it was miles better than private cars.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #65
Bowling4Bikes
Steee-riiike!

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: '02 Ducati ST4s
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenMeat View Post
why can't we just have a functioning subway instead of extremely dangerous private vehicles and leave driving for when you actually have to do it. The infrastructure I experienced in Japan was amazing and I could ride my bicycle (or a motorcycle if you got one there) out to far off places or out of the way spots and everything else was totally hassle free and cheap and the workers got decent wages and pensions who work for JR.

It was efficient, low risk/fatality rate (unless you're jumping onto the tracks on purpose) and it was miles better than private cars.
our infrastructure is already built-out for vehicle use. It will take a whole lot of people turning away from NIMBYism to make the necessary changes.
Bowling4Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #66
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowling4Bikes View Post

I believe their business model is to put the cab companies out of business, then raise their rates. I guess time will tell.
It depends on whether they can lock out competition, something I'll bet they're working on.

Somewhat ironic, given what they did to taxi drivers, but I predict it because it's the only way they can ensure huge profits.
Got tired of the CHP-funded P.O.S. incident page and made my own for motorcycles in the Bay area and surrounding zones: Bay Area CHP Motorcycle Incidents **NOTE** I added Sacramento, Monterey and San Luis Obisbo on 4/22/2018.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #67
ABC
Veteran

AMA #:2770635
Contributor +

Motorcycles: !
Quote:

Ive been saying this since 2012 when uber really picked up in hotels and I saw the change of people and their needs changing. Once they have eliminated all the cabs they WILL increase their rates a lot!!!
ABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #68
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
our infrastructure is already built-out for vehicle use. It will take a whole lot of people turning away from NIMBYism to make the necessary changes.
+1 and politics as well. This was an interesting article from a few days ago, new to me but probably not for other bay area old timers

https://sfist.com/2019/05/08/problem...al-compromise/
Quote:
At issue is what's called the Oakland Wye, the Y-shaped intersection of underground tunnels that connect the tracks leading from West Oakland to those heading north toward Richmond and Pittsburg, and those heading southeast to Lake Merritt. The original design called for the tunnel between Lake Merritt and 12th Street to go up 8th Street and take a wider turn under Broadway. But because Mayor Houlihan's friend had a hardware store in a historic building at 8th and Broadway, which would have had to have been demolished to construct the tunnel, he told BART that he would oppose the whole project if the tunnel wasn't re-routed. The resulting move, one block over to 9th Street, meant that trains would have to slow down and make a sharper turn.

The awkwardly tight turn at the Oakland Wye has led to a few derailments over the years, as Walker reports, but more importantly it has impacted the speed of everyone's commute for over 40 years. This 2013 operations report by BART brought up the issue with the slow-down requirements at the Oakland Wye, and proposed solutions for how to speed up trains in order to improve efficiency.

The great unfortunate fact in all this is that, as former BART spokesman Mike Healey tells KPIX, that dumb hardware store went out of business about six months after the design change was made. And the building was eventually demolished anyway.
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #69
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
You should see how entitled the Uber and Lyft drivers are in their Forum on reddit. It's hilarious.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #70
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bonneville
Name:
Quote:

I think that has been the contingency plan if robot-cars are not successfully implemented. WHo knows, maybe it came first but the robot deal is what they really want. That's pretty damn obvious.

Such is the lack of goodwill for traditional taxis though that they haven't seemed to be forthcoming in fighting back successfully.

I think taxi outfits our here are less accepted as inevitable institutions both because of our vehicle-based lifestyle and ride expense. I just don't think taxis ever caught on here as much in other cities nationally, and internationally. But I'm an East Bay kid so I dunno...

Last edited by Bay Arean; 05-13-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Bay Arean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #71
Five Apples

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R, 99 SV650 (track)
Name: Bieff
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
You should see how entitled the Uber and Lyft drivers are in their Forum on reddit. It's hilarious.
I could use a Monday morning/afternoon lol. Wanna quote a few for us ?
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #72
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
I could use a Monday morning/afternoon lol. Wanna quote a few for us ?
"You should always give a 5 star ride because sometimes someone has a bad day".

Now, in some ways they're sort of right because ratings systems are broken, and thus I don't feel like messing with someone's job over a star or two, but the attitude there is crap.

Would this person give other service people a pass if they fucked up their order/product/service?

Quote:
DUis in California
Advice/Question
I have a couple DUIs from 2012. What is Lyft rule's about DUI in California and do they base on DUIs on the date of the actual DUI or conviction date?
Response:

Quote:
You got no chance You shouldnt even be driving

Quote:
People make mistakes, dont be a dick

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #73
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
True, at 5am from Merced and Vallejo. Thanks, enterprise, for filling the place with more cars!

Maybe not Napa..Sonoma... and Marin..

Probably Santa Rosa! Which would explain the 101.
Enterprise??

SF should ban all taxis in general. Force everyone to be more green by making them walk more, or take mass public transit.

Last edited by KooLaid; 05-13-2019 at 10:45 AM..
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #74
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Enterprise??
Flying cars????

Oh it means, "Thanks, <insert company name here>"

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 05-13-2019 at 11:06 AM..
AbsolutEnduser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #75
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:

The cab companies are essentially already out of business. The reality is, the cost would just be too damn high. Even with them getting rid of corrupt bullshit like medallions and increasing dispatch efficiency, eventually, they will lose the war against the drivers demanding to be treated as Staff, even though they were never told they are anything but contractors. The politics against Uber as the robot economy arrives are going to be just too high, and there will be a forced push on the company to provide wildly expensive fringe benefits to the drivers that were never a part of their business model.

The savings of just putting a Robot Car into service are too vast to ignore.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote