Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 05-13-2019, 11:04 AM   #76
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Motorcycles: Ninja
Name: AE.Quentin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
The savings of just putting a Robot Car into service are too vast to ignore.
The savings for who? Do you mean the City of San Francisco will own the Uber Robot Cars to provide transportation service?

If it's not savings for the city, why should we care???

Last edited by AbsolutEnduser; 05-13-2019 at 11:07 AM..
AbsolutEnduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #77
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Enterprise??

SF should ban all taxis in general. Force everyone to be more green by making them walk more, or take mass public transit.
In cities where it's good, people tend to use it.

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #78
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
SF should ban all taxis in general. Force everyone to be more green by making them walk more, or take mass public transit.

^^^ got no problem with that Edited joking statement. public transit or not. Although I just hinted at non-mass public transit above.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #79
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
The savings for who? Do you mean the City of San Francisco will own the Uber Robot Cars to provide transportation service?

If it's not savings for the city, why should we care???
Are you a crazy person? The savings for the investors, the people who control the business. What else are you even talking about? The business will manage their product in a way to make it the most profitable. They will find a demand, and cater a supply to maximize profits and market share. That is how businesses work.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #80
HappyHighwayman
Blame Canada

Contributor

Motorcycles: Rad Rover
Name: Jordan
https://fox8.com/2019/05/10/study-ba...brush-holders/

Quote:
According to a study conducted by insurance company Netquote, new research shows that the average rideshare vehicle has about 219 times as many germs as the average taxi.
So on top of it all they're not even maintaining the cleanliness of their cars

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
- Hunter S. Thompson
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #81
aminalmutha
I drink bleach.

Motorcycles: Peniscoptor
Name: Balzac
Last Lyft I took, dude's car ran like shit, to the point that I wondered if I'd make it home in one ride. Plus, dude was running on fumes, complaining about being almost out of gas the whole time. Why the hell did you pick someone up with an empty tank?

I've rode in a probably 12 year old Honda Accord with a mean shudder before that. WTF!?

However, last time I took a cab (in Las Vegas), I thought the car would either burst into flames or the driver would crash into someone or some thing. Fucking nightmare.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #82
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminalmutha View Post
Last Lyft I took, dude's car ran like shit, to the point that I wondered if I'd make it home in one ride. Plus, dude was running on fumes, complaining about being almost out of gas the whole time. Why the hell did you pick someone up with an empty tank?

I've rode in a probably 12 year old Honda Accord with a mean shudder before that. WTF!?

However, last time I took a cab (in Las Vegas), I thought the car would either burst into flames or the driver would crash into someone or some thing. Fucking nightmare.
I have had a very similar experience.

Guy indicated he was borrowing this POS broken down prius with bald tires, no gas in the tank, check engine light on, pieces of trim broken or missing from the interior, and the transmission was screaming and vibrating as it lumped itself over the hills of SF. I doubt he was "borrowing" anything. I'm pretty sure the tags were expired as well. Doubtful he even had insurance. He was really kind and accommodating but the ride/conditions were frightening.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #83
AbsolutEnduser
Covffeffeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
I have had a very similar experience.

Guy indicated he was borrowing this POS broken down prius with bald tires, no gas in the tank, check engine light on, pieces of trim broken or missing from the interior, and the transmission was screaming and vibrating as it lumped itself over the hills of SF. I doubt he was "borrowing" anything. I'm pretty sure the tags were expired as well. Doubtful he even had insurance. He was really kind and accommodating but the ride/conditions were frightening.
Interesting.

Although my latest ride had only a stinky cab (I mean the cab of the TOyota that I called via uberlyft) and a shock that was knocking (uncomfortable ride), yours seems worse for maintenance.

I wonder if he actually swapped the plates on the car in your case from a good one to a bad one????
Because I would hope that Uber's technical inspection would not approve such a car.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #84
wazzuFreddo
WuTang is 4 the children

Motorcycles: mulletmobile
Name: bobesponja
My Lyft ride this morning was a super clean Honda Civic.

I don't take Uber anymore after all the sexual harassment was exposed there a few years ago.

Support bacteria, itís the only culture some people have.
wazzuFreddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #85
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo View Post
My Lyft ride this morning was a super clean Honda Civic.

I don't take Uber anymore after all the sexual harassment was exposed there a few years ago.
I do both. Lyft for business, Uber for personal. Separate phones.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #86
Abacinator
Unholy Blasphemies

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 1997 Triumph Tiger 885 "The Tank"
Name: Chris
I use whichever is cheaper at the time
Abacinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #87
aminalmutha
I drink bleach.

I have also had some drivers talk some seriously stupid shit. Just STFU bruh.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #88
mrzuzzo
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The one outside of Starbucks
Name: Victor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Uber's technical inspection
mrzuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #89
Bay Arean
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Bonneville
Name:
I never had a bad Uber car yet, quite the opposite but I believe it from you guys. Because I don't own a smartphone, I can't use it unless Ms. BA is present. When I came back from overseas, I took a regular taxi home from the BART station. Good lord. Filthy, the driver didnt seem to know where he was and didn't have much English to boot. And it cost about 7 bucks more than the same trip on Uber. So yeah, we used the service a few times.

And its also cheaper than those Airporter vans if we decided to get the full ride to SFO airport. We tried both. We used an airporter to come home once and it was driven by a Chinese guy who must have just gotten off the container or something. Drove like a maniac through the Berkeley hills dropping off peeps, the van smoking the whole time. When he hit the freeway initially, was goin about 80, weaving in and out of lanes. Talk about a nightmare...
Bay Arean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #90
aminalmutha
I drink bleach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Arean View Post
I never had a bad Uber car yet, quite the opposite but I believe it from you guys. Because I don't own a smartphone, I can't use it unless Ms. BA is present. When I came back from overseas, I took a regular taxi home from the BART station. Good lord. Filthy, the driver didnt seem to know where he was and didn't have much English to boot. And it cost about 7 bucks more than the same trip on Uber. So yeah, we used the service a few times.

And its also cheaper than those Airporter vans if we decided to get the full ride to SFO airport. We tried both. We used an airporter to come home once and it was driven by a Chinese guy who must have just gotten off the container or something. Drove like a maniac through the Berkeley hills dropping off peeps, the van smoking the whole time. When he hit the freeway initially, was goin about 80, weaving in and out of lanes. Talk about a nightmare...
I took a van from OAK some years back. Looked like it was pulled out of a junk yard. It was about midnight and the airport was a ghost town. Dude wouldn't leave until he got more peepz.... motherfucker, there are no more peepz!!! I finally demanded he take us where we needed to be (not far) or I'm getting out and finding someone else.

Then broseph almost rolls the van getting off the freeway. Total heap of shit. Total scumbag driver (won't say where he and his gang were from).

Srsly, the taxi/van industry brought Uber and Lyft upon themselves. Unfortunately, the L00Ber experience is heading down the terlit as well.

I will say tho, that it is THE way to get around San Diego. People drive down from the hills to work L00ber in SD. For the most part, quick, friendly and cheap.