AMA #2086825
Barf Racer / BARF Moderator
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: anything I can throw my leg over
Name: Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRob View Post
This always puts a stunned look on the face of the majority of the current membership.

When I started there was no such thing as a track day, or practice days (IIRC), no tire warmers, no airfence, no chicane in one and so on.

One got their license on a Saturday and on Sunday one lined up at the back of a 65 bike field of 600s (if you survived the waiting list).

No track experience, no clue. You couldn't even see the flag man from back there.

To top it all off, you pretty much were guaranteed to see 200 lb++ Scott Grey rip past you on a tiny Honda with pizza cutter wheels by lap three.

NOTHING like being thrown in at the deep end.
Nothing.
Dang, that sounds old school!! When was this type racing occurring?
KazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #47
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
This always puts a stunned look on the face of the majority of the current membership.

When I started there was no such thing as a track day, or practice days (IIRC), no tire warmers, no airfence, no chicane in one and so on.

One got their license on a Saturday and on Sunday one lined up at the back of a 65 bike field of 600s (if you survived the waiting list).

No track experience, no clue. You couldn't even see the flag man from back there.

To top it all off, you pretty much were guaranteed to see 200 lb++ Scott Grey rip past you on a tiny Honda with pizza cutter wheels by lap three.

Nothing.
We did have trackdays! $35 to run all day with the cars!

Yeah, Scott was the only racer back then who had a problem breaking clipons, when he pushed on them, they broke.

Last edited by afm199; 03-24-2021 at 11:29 AM..
afm199 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:58 AM   #48
jtigert
Veteran

Motorcycles: What you got for me
Name:
Quote:

Nothing.
And how about the new racer track walk. I was blessed to have you as one of the instructors take us newbs on a full course, corner by corner walk about, explaining the track details as you saw them. People pay a lot of money now for that insight.
jtigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #49
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtigert View Post
And how about the new racer track walk. I was blessed to have you as one of the instructors take us newbs on a full course, corner by corner walk about, explaining the track details as you saw them. People pay a lot of money now for that insight.
Interesting. Mesa, Jeff, wanna come back and do track walks the for the AFM as guest instructors?
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 PM   #50
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
Quote:

Nothing.
When Rob checks in, the thread officially is legit. I don't have much to add other than to say those where the AFM glory days...wait lists, simple class structures, and a strong desire to win among all who gridded up.
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #51
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

....and a fax machine to get your entry in.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-29-2021, 10:35 AM   #52
chrisweir.com
Home Loans for Riders!

BARF Sponsor
Contributor + + 2%

Motorcycles: 2013 FJR1300A
Name: Chris Weir
I started racing in 1991 at Willow Springs and did my first AFM event in 1992. Being at the back of the grid with 65 600's then riding over and around all the hills was life changing. After my first weekend at Sears I returned to Willow Springs and somehow lost a second off my lap times. The 4 hour endurance races I did at Sears where probably the most fun I've had on a motorcycle. Thanks for the memories
Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #53
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
....and a fax machine to get your entry in.

I remember the race to the mailbox at the beginning of the season to get your first race weekend entry post-card form back to the AFM so they could process it and put you up on the grid as close to the first row in your best class as first-come-first-serve could.

don't recall ever being smart enough to use a fax machine ... probably why my fellow competitors always seemed to get a better first-race-of-the-season grid position than me.

idk, maybe the mailbox first-come-first-served thing only worked among those of us who didn't have any points to grid by from the previous season ... still, I wanted to beat those guys to the mailbox.

dang, when I started club racing I used to work for my gate fee by scoring, with ten or twenty other people, with paper and pencils!
scoring 4 hour endurance races that way was a trip. each team had to supply a scorer, as I recall, and we used to jot down the time as our team crossed start/finish that was on a big digital timer across the track. wasn't unusual to have to wait hours or even a couple of days to get the official results of an endurance race ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 03-29-2021 at 11:05 AM..
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #54
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

John, AFM had 10-20 people hand scoring the races back in the day?

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #55
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
Barfie Winner 2017

seem to recall that the AFM in '93 had a pretty dedicated, smaller, scoring crew, that didn't need any extra help from a 500 Twins racer.

The big crew in the stands at the start finish was at Bryar Motorsports Park in the late '80s. we'd all furiously try to write the number down of each bike as they crossed start/finish, and after the race we'd all put our heads together and come up with the finishing order at the checkers. this was back when scoring errors were more of a thing.

anyway, loved Sears Point before NASCAR got to it. not that it was bad, post-NASCAR, just different. you know. fancy-er, so peeps started calling it Sonoma, instead. idk.

have my old race notebook somewhere. pretty sure I made a diagram of braking points, etc., after a track walk. sitting here today, seem to recall that there were a lot of seams, patches, bumps and holes in the track at the time.

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 03-29-2021 at 03:21 PM..
Old 03-29-2021, 06:12 PM   #56
inthewoods
Veteran

Motorcycles: All kinds
Name:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_20210329 Sears.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	542688  
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:36 AM   #57
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
There were definitely quite a few scorers at the old races, particularly the 4 hour. God, I remember being so pissed for being listed as sixth instead of fifth or some such BS.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:59 AM   #58
massio
once a racer...

Motorcycles: what day is it?
Name:
re: Sears

Ah, the 4-hour at Sears. Those were the days, John. Thanks for scoring for us, and not crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post

...when I started club racing I used to work for my gate fee by scoring, with ten or twenty other people, with paper and pencils!
scoring 4 hour endurance races that way was a trip. each team had to supply a scorer, as I recall, and we used to jot down the time as our team crossed start/finish that was on a big digital timer across the track. wasn't unusual to have to wait hours or even a couple of days to get the official results of an endurance race ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	94.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	542704  
massio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #59
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
Barfie Winner 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by massio View Post
Ah, the 4-hour at Sears. Those were the days, John. Thanks for scoring for us, and not crashing!

oh my, there's a pic for me today! something else to consult my old race notebook about. the mid-'90s? those were the days, indeed.

you'll always be the fearless real-roads-to-Cabo racer, to me.

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 03-30-2021 at 12:33 PM..
Old 03-30-2021, 12:27 PM   #60
chrisweir.com
Home Loans for Riders!

BARF Sponsor
Contributor + + 2%

Motorcycles: 2013 FJR1300A
Name: Chris Weir
Four hour photo with friends
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001 4 hour.jpg