Notices

Old 04-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #1
cozy
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600
Name:
Suggestins for shorter moto trip from Marin thru western states & back

( Suggestions ...)
Hi Barfers. So Ive been riding for a couple years now. Currently own / ride a 2001 Suzuki Bandit 600. Even though it is obviously not as powerful - fast as a 1200 Bandit or other speed oriented bikes, I like it. I am a shorter guy at 5'5" 130lbs, and prefer to be able to flat foot both feet at a stop so this size fits me well.

I have yet to do an out of state ( or even over 200 hundred miles in state ) ride. Keep feeling a desire to. Am open to suggestions from those of you who have experience riding from SF Bay area out of state and back.

A few things I now I want to avoid -

* High winds.
* Extreme temperatures, snow & rain.
* Hundreds of miles of boring, brown flat land.
* Being chased away by unknowingly venturing into native american reservation lands, meth labs, law enforcement or bears. No thank you.

Some things I prefer to enjoy during riding -

* Beautiful natural lands - scenery.
* Ability to explore nature areas both near and away from populated areas.
* Affordable or free camping options next to my motorcycle in quiet, beautiful areas.
* Exploring more freedom affirming communities that respect individuals human rights & freedoms to wear or not wear masks, not sheepingly bowing before hypocritical & corrupt politicians constitutional rights violating dictates. Communities that are fully open.
* Avoiding long traffic jams.

Am thinking this first trip of mine will only be a few days to a weekish. I dont yet have a camping tent, but am researching options.

I do have an old, decent condition mountain hardware synthetic sleeping bag. I used it when i did a 1 night motorcycle camp at a Samuel P Taylor park in Marin before Covid lockdowns. Although it was too cold for comfort outside the bag, once i was inside for a bit i became comfortably warm.

One thing I have read a few times from browsing barf threads is that many riders rear tires quickly wear out from multi day or fast rides?. My front tire was replaced about a year ago and both front and rear are still working. I bought this moto about a year and halfish ago and have not yet replaced rear tire. Am considering having it replaced, but not sure by who.

I finally heard back from KC Engineering about the rear brakes they replaced twice and both times it was done unsuccessfully. First time the rear brakes fell out right after they installed them, and since they replaced them the 2nd time they often squeal very loudly even now many months later. They finally got back to me and said they will order new brake pads and retaining equipment ( they didnt mention rotors even though I said they may need it after having the brake pads installed incorrectly both times ) and reinstall the read brakes a 3rd time once they come in. Hopefully they will do it correctly this time. 3rds a charm, right?

Any suggestions are welcome. I am likely open to going as far east as the Dakota states, Nebraska, Texas...

Last edited by cozy; 04-20-2021 at 10:32 PM..
cozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #2
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
First, your 600 is fine. Don't let anyone tell you different.

Technically, if you want to go out of state, you can do a day trip up to Tahoe, put a foot across the state line and ride back.

In fact, you can just go up and ride around that area.

Second, there's no particular reason to HAVE to cross the state line. Again, crossing the Sierras, traveling the eastern sierras and running around out there fills all sorts of check boxes, besides the state line.

If you haven't done any longer trips, then you might want to just do a couple long day trips (like the Tahoe trip), or up the coast.

If you want to bump your "out of state" count, then head NE to the Oregon/NV/CA, and perhaps ID border areas.

Run up to Crater lake.

I personally wouldn't blast across half the country. The singular problem with that is you have to come back.

If you're willing to cross the Great Western Desert, Utah and Norther Arizona will put a lump in your throat to be sure.

If it were me, I'd head north, Oregon, Wash, ID. I love the desert but it's a long "first stop" to get across.

As a first trip, I'd do a weekender. Leave Friday night, camp Friday and Saturday, and head back Sunday.

This exercises all of the component parts of a "long trip". If you're comfortable with 3 days, you're comfortable 30.
#69 #45 NP
berth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
You should stay home. Once you cross the Ca border, you're going to experience
* High winds.
* Extreme temperatures, snow & rain.
* Hundreds of miles of boring, brown flat land.
* Being chased away by unknowingly venturing into native american reservation lands, meth labs, law enforcement or bears. No thank you.

Seriously, look at a map, find some squiggly lines and follow them. Check the weather, know how to camp in bear country if you're going to camp in bear country, don't buy meth unless you know the seller and don't be a dick if you have an interaction with LEO or anyone for that matter.
The outside world is not that scary.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #4
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
My son rode his CBR600F2 to Crater lake Oregon and back.
Go north through Calistoga out to Leggett. Ride through the Avenue of the Giants. Take 36 over to RedBluff. North to Weed and east through Klamath Falls to Crater Lake. Come back by going to the coast near Crescent City and back down Hwy 1.
It will be beautiful. You can do most of this avoiding hours on 101 or I 5 if you plan your route well.

Mad
Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
I would suggest staying in California until you've put together several days of 300-400 mile riding days. Try going to all nine national parks in California. That alone will take more than a week.

Once you have that out of the way, head out to a few neighboring states. Be aware that once you discount the Las Vegas and Reno areas of Nevada, there is hardly anything else in that state. Great if you want to run at high speed on empty roads, though. We'll welcome you in Idaho.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
RWMaverick
Rookie

Motorcycles: 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Track Bike
Name: Ryan
I've been all over the state on a 1992 Nighthawk 750, and I think you'll be fine on your Bandit. You can tour on just about any bike; I've even slabbed it up I-5 on a Ninja 250 a couple of times (doable but wouldn't recommend).

As previously stated, try doing a few day trips, then try doing a few weekend trips, then take a long weekend, etc. Build up until you feel comfortable! Work up to the point where you can do 300-400 miles/day over a 3 day weekend on some legitimately twisty roads and not feel tired when you have to get back to work the next day. Look on google maps for twisty roads and avoid 5, 101, 99, etc. if possible. There are so many great roads within a day of the Bay Area to build endurance, check out 25, 36, 35, 1 (outside of the touristy areas so you're not stuck behind minivans all day). Go over the Sierras on 88, 4, and 108, and do a different one each weekend once the weather is nice.

And remember to have fun! Stop and smell the roses, grab a bite to eat at that barbecue joint you smelled when you rode by, don't take freeways that'll make you miserable all in the name up posting big mileage numbers.
RWMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
If you want free camping you're most likely going to have to ride in dirt. BLM lands and US forestry lands allow dispersed camping, but you have to go off road, not necessarily far. My general rule of thumb, is once you pass the yellow and red signs that say no campfires or charcoal, look for a spot that has already been camped in. As other's have said, CA has all you need for your checklist, check out this sub forum's trip reports and also the best of here: https://bayarearidersforum.com/forum...d.php?t=186289 for ideas.

Finally, the real question for this thread, is should you really bring your bike back to KC Engineering ever again?
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMaverick View Post
Look on google maps for twisty roads and avoid 5, 101, 99, etc. if possible.
You only need to avoid 101 south of San Francisco. Up north there are some great sections of 101. I agree about 5 and 99, though.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #9
RWMaverick
Rookie

Motorcycles: 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Track Bike
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
You only need to avoid 101 south of San Francisco. Up north there are some great sections of 101. I agree about 5 and 99, though.
That's true! North of Willits is especially nice since it loses the "freeway feel" at some point around there. I can't deny it's the best choice of the three if you want to lay down some miles at the start or end of a trip.
RWMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #10
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
My preferred day trip (~ 400mi) was always 108E to 395N to 4W. Best time is the day Sonora pass and Ebbets pass open. 88 is an alternative as well.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote