Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Employment

Old 02-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
What does the certification cost? I think this would be a great retirement gig for me.
It depends on how much your site supports you.

Minimum cost is 495 and time. Other end of the spectrum it costs a little over $1000

Your in Santa Rosa talk to Juan Hernandez who manages your local site

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
What does the certification cost? I think this would be a great retirement gig for me.
Cost varies. The costs include:
1) background check
2) tuition to the basic class
3) tuition to IRC
4) tuition to Instructor Training

Some training ranges pay for some of those costs so the actual out of pocket costs varis with each training range sponsor

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #18
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Lot's of good questions here. Let me take it off on a somewhat related tangent:

Little background that most of you know:
I've been doing this for almost 30 years now. I managed the Mountain View facility (now closed) for almost 15 years. We had a staff of 15-20 and almost exclusively BARFers. That was an intentional choice. I want(ed) the staff to know each other, work well with each other, and have fun standing on your feet for 13hrs in all weather. Where am I going with this?

Get a job at a facility where you fit in. Like most jobs, this one sucks hard when you have to teach with someone you dislike. In Mtn. View, most of the staff drove past 1-3 other facilities 30+ miles to work with their friends. Make sure you talk to every facility manager within a 30mi radius. Find a place you like, with like minded people.

Once you've found the facility, there is more to consider:
Your current riding ability doesn't mean a damn thing. I know fast track riders that can't ride a proper demonstration at 12mph. I know riders that haven't crashed in 20+ years that can't properly convey counter-steering to a novice.

Are you willing to stand in ALL weather for 12hrs. I've taught in snow flurries, rain, and worst of all 100-deg+.

Are you willing to give first aid? I've seen bumps and bruises. Compound fractures. Heat exhaustion. Lacerations (7in long). Shattered femur.

The riding sessions are scripted. IOW, there is no personal commentary allowed during the instruction. The classroom sessions are PowerPoint based and require a talent / skill to deliver well / professionally. It takes effort to learn that skill. Do you want to put in the effort?

Your riding / driving DMV history will be looked at. DUI? Reckless? Lot's of tickets? Those could be limiting factors.

It's been mentioned here and in other threads that a background investigation is required. Yup. Think Megan's Law. We teach minors. If you are Registered, you can't do this job.

Thoughts from a former site manager: Can you walk the walk and talk the talk?

Do you ride your bike to bars and drink? Do you stunt on public roads? Do you ride without gear?

It won't be long until you run into a past student. What if that is at the bar with your bike parked outside? Or after you blew by them at 100+. Or landed that sweet wheelie in front of them...in a school zone...

I may or may not have any personal experience with these when I was a young inexperienced instructor.

Other things I've seen:
Someone showed up to teach smelling of liquor.
Some show up to teach in clothing that looks like they slept in it...for a week.
I've seen instructors show their GoPro footage on the big screen in the classroom.
I've seen an instructor show up with no rear brake caliper or rotor on their sportbike and try to explain why it was ok to students that noticed.

Do you still want to do this? It is fun. I love it. At the last BARF Rally yet another BARFer told me that I was their instructor many years ago. I've made great friends doing this. There are some good discounts involved too.

In 2007 I walked into a auto tire store and the guy behind the counter said "Hi Tim". I paused to try and jog my brain. He then told me that I was his instructor and opened his wallet to pull out the certification card I signed to prove it. He handed it to me and I saw the date 1990. I was floored. Dude gave me a screaming deal on tires.

As I walked out I looked at my GF and said "Thank god he passed", without missing a beat she said "Evidently you weren't an asshole that day either."

We're married now. The GF and I, not the tire sales guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #19
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter View Post
Lot's of good questions here. Let me take it off on a somewhat related tangent:

Little background that most of you know:
I've been doing this for almost 30 years now. I managed the Mountain View facility (now closed) for almost 15 years. We had a staff of 15-20 and almost exclusively BARFers. That was an intentional choice. I want(ed) the staff to know each other, work well with each other, and have fun standing on your feet for 13hrs in all weather. Where am I going with this?

Get a job at a facility where you fit in. Like most jobs, this one sucks hard when you have to teach with someone you dislike. In Mtn. View, most of the staff drove past 1-3 other facilities 30+ miles to work with their friends. Make sure you talk to every facility manager within a 30mi radius. Find a place you like, with like minded people.

Once you've found the facility, there is more to consider:
Your current riding ability doesn't mean a damn thing. I know fast track riders that can't ride a proper demonstration at 12mph. I know riders that haven't crashed in 20+ years that can't properly convey counter-steering to a novice.

Are you willing to stand in ALL weather for 12hrs. I've taught in snow flurries, rain, and worst of all 100-deg+.

Are you willing to give first aid? I've seen bumps and bruises. Compound fractures. Heat exhaustion. Lacerations (7in long). Shattered femur.

The riding sessions are scripted. IOW, there is no personal commentary allowed during the instruction. The classroom sessions are PowerPoint based and require a talent / skill to deliver well / professionally. It takes effort to learn that skill. Do you want to put in the effort?

Your riding / driving DMV history will be looked at. DUI? Reckless? Lot's of tickets? Those could be limiting factors.

It's been mentioned here and in other threads that a background investigation is required. Yup. Think Megan's Law. We teach minors. If you are Registered, you can't do this job.

Thoughts from a former site manager: Can you walk the walk and talk the talk?

Do you ride your bike to bars and drink? Do you stunt on public roads? Do you ride without gear?

It won't be long until you run into a past student. What if that is at the bar with your bike parked outside? Or after you blew by them at 100+. Or landed that sweet wheelie in front of them...in a school zone...

I may or may not have any personal experience with these when I was a young inexperienced instructor.

Other things I've seen:
Someone showed up to teach smelling of liquor.
Some show up to teach in clothing that looks like they slept in it...for a week.
I've seen instructors show their GoPro footage on the big screen in the classroom.
I've seen an instructor show up with no rear brake caliper or rotor on their sportbike and try to explain why it was ok to students that noticed.

Do you still want to do this? It is fun. I love it. At the last BARF Rally yet another BARFer told me that I was their instructor many years ago. I've made great friends doing this. There are some good discounts involved too.

In 2007 I walked into a auto tire store and the guy behind the counter said "Hi Tim". I paused to try and jog my brain. He then told me that I was his instructor and opened his wallet to pull out the certification card I signed to prove it. He handed it to me and I saw the date 1990. I was floored. Dude gave me a screaming deal on tires.

As I walked out I looked at my GF and said "Thank god he passed", without missing a beat she said "Evidently you weren't an asshole that day either."

We're married now. The GF and I, not the tire sales guy.
dang dunno anybody whose got patience for ALL of that you just spelled it out

lol omg i didnt see your white text till i quoted you hahahahaa
Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #20
Caddywumpus
4N631

AMA#: 2809543
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Happy
Name: o'/<
6-12 hours for a typical shift.

Doubles are 12 hours

Delay gratification and exercise financial responsibility, you say?
Why do you hate America?
RIP Mahito. 11/7/2010 AMA #2809543
Caddywumpus is offline   Reply With Quote