Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #31
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post

Once stopped, or near stopped, begin figuring out which way you're going to run. GET OUT OF THE IMPACT ZONE/ TRAFFIC. Get out of the impact zone if the track/ roadway is still live. Do not turn your back to traffic/ the track. I've crawled away as fast as I can several times. Safe now, hurt later is the rule.

Evaluate injuries one clear of danger.

I'm pretty paranoid about getting run over or hit after an accident and it's more common than one would think.
Totally this. I remember crashing at T3 top of the hill, sears point, old course. The guy in front of me went down, I saw the oil, but it was too late and I followed him in. I got up, ran to the tire wall, and dived over. He was still standing there staring at this bike when the next bike tunneled in.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #32
bmwbob51
BMWBOB

Motorcycles: 2014 BMW 1200GS 74 Norton Commando
Name: Bob
I had a car turn left through traffic in front of me while traveling about 10 MPH, jumped off the bike, ran past the front of the car and the bike T bone the front of the car. I never fell down!
bmwbob51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #33
newbiker
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2016 Ninja Zx6r
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
I saw video of a guy spill on the S280 - 101 interchange. He rolled a couple times and then came up to a jog on his feet. He couldn't run that fast and fell again, but was mostly unhurt except scrapes from no gear.

I read a post here by tokyodelicious saying to learn how to slide so you don't tumble and break your bones.

I've read a lot about avoiding crashing and evaluating crashing and crash stats, but not much about surviving a crash. How to fall, land, and not get hurt doing it.

I had a similar thought about what or how to crash, when that is what is going to happen. Such as, if you cooked a turn and the bike and you physically cannot make it - not a target fixation problem - what do you do at that point to lessen the injury?

Who teaches how to crash and where can you practice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
Me neither, but a video of that will go viral.

What video? I don't see no link here.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #34
Tumbleweed
rollin' right along.....

Motorcycles: Always room for additions...
Name: Chris
Thinking that you are a “good crasher” is like thinking that you can judge a relationship based on a first date. That shit is crazy.

I’ve crashed on the track at 100mph+ when a dude (on a bumblebee R1) took out my rear. I slid for days...watched my R6 cartwheel right on by...until I didn’t, hit the curb which tossed me cloudward, but then I had soooo much air-time, I made a plan (relax/tuck/roll), wrote my will, and sent out my own condolences letters. Ended up dislocating my thumb (felt it go when I caught it on the curb). But, that was THAT crash. I have also gone down at the track, done $30 in damage to the bike, but wobbled away with 4-broken ribs and a broken shoulder blade....zero time to create a plan or be a “experienced crasher” on that one.

I’ve crashed on the dirt so many zillion times, there were times I KNEW I broke something, but nope. (As she knocks on wood multiple times).

Have also crashed on the street, thanks to an old asshat who didn’t like bikers. Also skittered away from that one with only a concussion.

The best “crash training” is to ALWAYS wear the best gear possible. That’s the bottom line. You don’t plan a crash, you plan to protect your bits in the worst situations. Take care o’ your own bits so your significant others don’t hafta.

—Chris
AFM #970
Tumbleweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #35
Lewd_Ferrigno
Rookie

Contributor

Motorcycles: 93 CBR900RR 2014 MV F3 800
Name:
Crashing school = CCS Novice Heavyweight Superbike
Lewd_Ferrigno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #36
Setwayz
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: '16 MV Agusta F3800RC, '10 BMW S1000rr, '09 Honda CBR 600RR Phoenix, '03 HD Ultra Classic
Name: Set
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-rama View Post
Not to pry, but is that F3800RC as sexy as it looks?

Someone rode past me a few weeks ago, going the other way on one, and the sound....
She is very sexy!!! I have a thing for Italian women now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MV Agusta 2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	517763  
Cycle Gear Modesto www.cyclegear.com
Setwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:32 PM   #37
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
racing supermoto helped a lot for me

Many opportunities to learn

Buy my take offs you FOOLS!
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=531628
R3DS!X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #38
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Martial arts (tumbling, falling, and getting out of various joint locks) can actually teach you a fair bit of muscle memory and help you develop "orientation" IMO. It will teach you to keep your limbs in, not to stick an arm out to catch yourself, etc.

Takes time and practice, but I think it can be fairly effective if you are lucky enough to have a crash where you have the space to actually complete whatever slide/tumble/etc you need.

The idea of crashing on the street becomes far more terrifying when you crash on the track and realize just how far you go before you stop without a solid object between points A and B. I think the furthest I went was at Buttonwillow off the bus stop, tumbled for what felt like forever. I was fine other than some minor bruises and a scuffed finger, but there was a LOOOOONG ways between where that started and where I finally stopped.

Solid objects and being a launched projectile, however, are pretty much impossible to do anything to "prepare" for - so the best defense is - ya, don't crash.

If you do, make sure you're stopped before you stand up.

I now like to make sure limbs are all functioning before jumping up on a broken leg - because, well, been there done that (on a dirt bike).

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS

Last edited by Honey Badger; 02-25-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
gixxerjeff
I hate quads

Motorcycles: Some fast ones and some dirty ones.
Name: Derp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
- because, well, been there done that (on a dirt bike).
My son had a great line about this.
"You might get killed on your street bike...
...but you will get hurt on your dirt bike."
Smart kid. I'm still proving him right.

Time may be an excellent teacher but it kills all of it's students.

Rich Cox
Nicky
I miss you Rich.
gixxerjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #40
moto-rama
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: '18 R1200R '17 KTM690 '07 Bonneville
Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setwayz View Post
She is very sexy!!! I have a thing for Italian women now.
So did I ...until she caught me.

'18 R1200R
'17 Duke690
'07 Bonneville
moto-rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #41
WWWobble
This way...That way...

Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR1300, FZ1
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post

The idea of crashing on the street becomes far more terrifying when you crash on the track and realize just how far you go before you stop without a solid object between points A and B. I think the furthest I went was at Buttonwillow off the bus stop, tumbled for what felt like forever. I was fine other than some minor bruises and a scuffed finger, but there was a LOOOOONG ways between where that started and where I finally stopped.
Everybody. Read this again.
WWWobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:13 PM   #42
WWWobble
This way...That way...

Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR1300, FZ1
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjeff View Post
My son had a great line about this.
"You might get killed on your street bike...
...but you will get hurt on your dirt bike."
Smart kid. I'm still proving him right.
I think there's a corollary.
(and I totally agree with you AND your son)

What you learn,
getting hurt on your dirt bike,
may save your life,
on a street bike.
WWWobble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #43
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
I saw video of a guy spill on the S280 - 101 interchange. He rolled a couple times and then came up to a jog on his feet. He couldn't run that fast and fell again, but was mostly unhurt except scrapes from no gear.

I read a post here by tokyodelicious saying to learn how to slide so you don't tumble and break your bones.

I've read a lot about avoiding crashing and evaluating crashing and crash stats, but not much about surviving a crash. How to fall, land, and not get hurt doing it.

I had a similar thought about what or how to crash, when that is what is going to happen. Such as, if you cooked a turn and the bike and you physically cannot make it - not a target fixation problem - what do you do at that point to lessen the injury?

Who teaches how to crash and where can you practice?
if it happened in slo-mo, that would be one thing (time to think), but in each of mine, everything happened so fast it was over before i knew what hit me. all plans went ‘out the window’. the times where i was able to anticipate a crash, was able to avoid it.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #44
jacob11379
jacob11379

Motorcycles: Track 05 GSXR1000, Track 13 ZX10R, Street 07 R1
Name: jacob
Quote:
Such as, if you cooked a turn and the bike and you physically cannot make it - not a target fixation problem - what do you do at that point to lessen the injury?
Well I would lean that bike over as far as i could while trying to make the corner and leaning my body off the bike to prepare for a low side while limiting my bodys height from the ground. Cant say I have done this with the thought of KNOWING I would be sliding but if I did I would likely let the bike go and slide on my back while watching where i was going. if I got gloves and leathers which I would, palms down and feet first with heels above ground so I dont dig in feet. from experience you dont want feet to catch the ground as itll throw your knee right into your chest and flip you...lol...for real, no bueno....
jacob11379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #45
littlebeast
get it while it's easy

Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++++!

Motorcycles: the red witch
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWobble View Post
Everybody. Read this again.
yeah - and what’s missing from that WRT a street crash is becoming a human pinball amongst other fast moving objects going every which way to avoid the collision. crashing at high speed on the freeway sucks. it’s a tumbling kaleidoscope of rapidly moving impacts and potential impacts. you only have a second or two to try and protect yourself before the eventual head impact. and that’s when the lights go out, and you are at the complete mercy of everyone’s ability to see you motionless on the pavement, and to brake in time. don’t ask me how i know.