Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Best of BARF

Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
sbechtold

Motorcycles: 2005 CRF450R Woods Ready
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
What?!? Dont' the pics tell the story?
I HATE ROCKS!!! It was one of the funnest days of my life!
I will do it again on a motorcycles if i can get a trials bike. Too brutal on a MX bike.

It was a tremendous experience. With just a hint of danger.
Next time we'll take the crawler and you can experience it from the passenger seat.
sbechtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

AMA #: 489282
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, TR650, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450 EXC
Name:
Quote:
What?!? Dont' the pics tell the story?
I HATE ROCKS!!! It was one of the funnest days of my life!
I will do it again on a motorcycles if i can get a trials bike. Too brutal on a MX bike.

It was a tremendous experience. With just a hint of danger.
Sounds to me like you're ready to hit up the Dusy Ershim now
I just wanted to hear how it went in your own words.

Is your bike actually set up for the MX track or is it set up for trailriding? I've found that lowering the gearing and making sure your jetting is spot-on will make the rocks much easier to manage. Do you have an 18" rear wheel? If so, a trials tire will make you feel like the King of the Rubicon...no kidding!

I used to hate rocks, too, but the more I ride them the more I enjoy them. I think it's an acquired taste

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
WoodsChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Sounds to me like you're ready to hit up the Dusy Ershim now
I just wanted to hear how it went in your own words.

Is your bike actually set up for the MX track or is it set up for trailriding? I've found that lowering the gearing and making sure your jetting is spot-on will make the rocks much easier to manage. Do you have an 18" rear wheel? If so, a trials tire will make you feel like the King of the Rubicon...no kidding!

I used to hate rocks, too, but the more I ride them the more I enjoy them. I think it's an acquired taste

WoodsChick
I need to gear the KTM down for this shit, and yes I have an 18" wheel, and I will prolly buy a trials tire next. The ATK is much better for going slow, but it is er, sick. I can stop and chug away on that puppy.

Dusy Ershim, yes. Sol would be up for it too.
You be the guide?

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 10-31-2008 at 05:43 PM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
sbechtold

Name:
Quote:
You be the guide?
Road trip! If Dusy hasn't been closed yet it probably will be closed soon as they have already had a small amount of snow. Dusy would be a blast on a bike. Just let me know when. I can probably get another buddy to join us as well.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Motorcycles: GasGas EP280, CR125, Husky WR165, 2 SM610's, TR650, FZR400/600, GSXR750, SV650, Plated KTM 450 EXC
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechtold View Post
Road trip! If Dusy hasn't been closed yet it probably will be closed soon as they have already had a small amount of snow. Dusy would be a blast on a bike. Just let me know when. I can probably get another buddy to join us as well.
Dusy is closed already. I really wanted to do it again this summer but a broken ankle put the screws to that idea...quite literally. It's a total blast on a bike...I don't know about a 4-wheeled vehicle, though I think I'd be scared Have you done it on 4 wheels, Sol?

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Name:
Quote:
I need to gear the KTM down for this shit, and yes I have an 18" wheel, and I will prolly buy a trials tire next. The ATK is much better for going slow, but it is er, sick. I can stop and chug away on that puppy.

You be the guide?

I'd love to be the guide, but I'm guessing it'll be a long while until I'm ready for that sort of pounding. I just missed 4 months of work due to a mangled ankle. I'm just now putting around carefully on my 610, and the very thought of grinding my way through rocks kind of makes my stomach queasy. I'll get back to it as soon as I can, though.

A trials tire shines in the rocks, for sure. It's perfect for picking your way through the nasty. The uber-traction you get from a rear trials tire also helps to loft the front (along with the aforementioned lower gearing and spot-on jetting) over the big rocks, ledges and step-ups. You'll be transformed into the Rubicon Slayer

I had a boyfriend that had a plated ATK 406 back in the day. That thing was an astonishingly fun ride around Lake Merritt

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #22
sbechtold

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick View Post
Dusy is closed already. I really wanted to do it again this summer but a broken ankle put the screws to that idea...quite literally. It's a total blast on a bike...I don't know about a 4-wheeled vehicle, though I think I'd be scared Have you done it on 4 wheels, Sol?
WoodsChick
Kind of thought it might be closed already. I have not had a chance to run it yet. I was supposed to run it about 4 weeks ago after we did the Hammers down in Johnson Valley, but my schedule did not work with the trip schedule. The trail is supposed to be a blast on 4 wheels, so I can only imagine it on 2 wheels. Based on pictures I've seen of Dusy, I assume Dusy is easier on 2 wheels then the Rubicon.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #23
WoodsChick
I Don't Do GPS

D36 - #103Y

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbechtold View Post
Kind of thought it might be closed already. I have not had a chance to run it yet. I was supposed to run it about 4 weeks ago after we did the Hammers down in Johnson Valley, but my schedule did not work with the trip schedule. The trail is supposed to be a blast on 4 wheels, so I can only imagine it on 2 wheels. Based on pictures I've seen of Dusy, I assume Dusy is easier on 2 wheels then the Rubicon.
I'm not sure if it's easier than the Rubicon or not. I'm sure some parts of it are. What makes the Dusy difficult is that the whole 30+ miles of the trail are at high elevation, mostly between 9000' and 10000', with an elevation gain/loss of over 1700'. I think the Rubicon tops out at a little under 6800' with a gain/loss of about 700' or so? Huge difference, at least for this sea-level dweller There are no easy go-arounds for the obstacles, either. It's not as open as the Rubicon and there are no bail-out routes. You either forge ahead to the finish or you turn around and go out the way you came in, one entry and one exit. Of course, that's what makes it so scenic-it's surrounded by wilderness. A lot of the trail is easy, but there are a few tough spots that make up for it in short order

Here is a ride report I did a few months ago...
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=257985

There is a link in the first post to the first ride report I did on the Dusy. It has much prettier pictures, and more of them, and represents the trail much better, whereas the 2nd report I did has much better photos of Thompson Hill. No photos do any trail justice, though...

WoodsChick

Mom 1/23/2008
Dad 2/12/2017
Old 11-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #24
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Very cool ride report.. and nice pic's...

I could not help but chuckle thinking how Butch liked to take me thru the shit part of a ride to laugh at my struggles..

Man.. those are some rocks.. very cool.. the video was good to showing the constant out of balance challenge that Butch had to fight.. a lot of work on the bod for sure.

Welcome to barf in a big way..! Nice thread.

Go dirty barf!

Racism and RIP threads on Barf - FYI
Barf is more than a dub dub dub dealio
Group Rides-The info you need to know
Godspeed Mom
Godspeed Pit Ho
Godspeed Nicky #69
AMA #: 203453
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #25
yella600rr
popmonkey.com

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: xr50, crf70, ttr125, kdx200(plated), crf230(plated), cbr600rr, 250 virago
Name: Theresa
Awesome Butch!

For some life is hard and for others it is a relentless grind for survival.
yella600rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #26
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
sbechtold's post is almost worthy of a "best of barf", except too many pics of me. Not bad for a first post.

Dude didn't even introduce himself in the newbie section!

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 11-03-2008 at 01:35 PM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #27
sbechtold

Name:
Quote:
Dude didn't even introduce himself in the newbie section!
That's because he's a tool!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #28
Choppa650
Apprentice Squid.

Contributor

Motorcycles: 05 yz250, yz250f, 04 r6,
Name:
Nice ride and pics, I am also impressed that there was no overheating on the rocks, not that I have ever been peeing coolant due to nasty rock sections. Impressive!
Choppa650 is offline   Reply With Quote