Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Streetriders Rights

Old 03-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
Whitehouse lane splitting petition.

There is a petition up for lane splitting on the Whitehouse site.

Click here to go to the site and sign.

Make it legal for all Motorcyclists within in The United States of America to split lanes. https://goo.gl/2T2vUl
Lane splitting for motorcycles is a common practice in most of the world, yet in The United States of America, it is not. It's a fact that lane splitting can and shall increase safety for motorcyclists. Please enact a law to make lane splitting legal for all 50 States.

Lane-splitting is safe if done in traffic moving at 50 mph or less, and if motorcyclists do not exceed the speed of other vehicles by more than 15 mph

Compared to riders who were not splitting lanes, lane-splitting motorcyclists were markedly less likely to suffer head injury (9 percent vs. 17 percent), torso injury (19 percent vs. 29 percent) or fatal injury (1.2 percent vs. 3 percent)

Lane-splitting riders were significantly less likely to be rear-ended than non-lane-splitting riders (2.6 percent vs. 4.6 percent)

Published Date: Mar 13, 2016

Last edited by bikeama; 03-16-2016 at 06:19 PM..
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
navy8ret
USN Retired

Motorcycles: 03 SV-S
Name: Roger
Done
Long ways to go to reach the required sigs

A Man WITH a GUN is a Citizen
A Man WITHOUT a GUN is a Subject

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
navy8ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
mbharat
Focus and ride...

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW s1000RR
Name: Bharath
Done .
Also asking friends from all over to sign petition. Thanks for posting this.
2009 ZX-6R (Sold )
mbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #4
SuperMotoD
Veteran

Motorcycles: S1000XR :) ,990 SMR , R1, 950 SMR , KTM 625 SMR sold
Name: Darrell
Done
SuperMotoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
doc4216
Coastie who high fives

AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2010 R1200R; 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
done.
doc4216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
MSHax
Drive fast & take chances

Motorcycles: Yes, and cars, truck, and a van. :)
Name: Rocky
I signed it, but....not looking good. 92,974 signatures needed by April 12, 2016?!?! :|

I never understood why people put the bikes they sold on their profile, it's not yours anymore. Plus, if us old guys did that it would be a book.
MSHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Brilliant!

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Billy
Signed and shared on facebook. I'll definitely get shit from all my coworkers and colleagues in the medical field. Glad there was #s included, but no source listed. NHTSA or even CDC data would be a great start. Have they even done any studies on lanesplitting?

Eh. Google shows nothing recent..

Last edited by CABilly; 04-04-2016 at 12:17 PM..
CABilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #9
verz
Dead but Delicious

Contributor

Motorcycles: The Flying Banana, Cookies FJ-09 (imaginary)
Name: Chris
Signed
Old 04-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #10
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
Signed and shared on facebook. I'll definitely get shit from all my coworkers and colleagues in the medical field. Glad there was #s included, but no source listed. NHTSA or even CDC data would be a great start. Have they even done any studies on lanesplitting?

Eh. Google shows nothing recent..
They didn't site sources because there is no data to support the claim that sharing is safer. It looks like they may have cherry picked some numbers from the Berkeley study, but that study very specifically did not compare the safety of lane sharing with not lane sharing.

Even though I support the lane sharing, I won't be signing this because I dislike bullshit even more. Using bad data only hurts the cause in the long run because it makes it so easy for those opposed to discredit those in favor of lane sharing.
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: Ď18 Alta EX006, Ď17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpw View Post
They didn't site sources because there is no data to support the claim that sharing is safer. It looks like they may have cherry picked some numbers from the Berkeley study, but that study very specifically did not compare the safety of lane sharing with not lane sharing.

Even though I support the lane sharing, I won't be signing this because I dislike bullshit even more. Using bad data only hurts the cause in the long run because it makes it so easy for those opposed to discredit those in favor of lane sharing.
Budman is on some of these safety boards and the data is there. He is a bit overextended right now. I encourage you to discuss it with him on the Pit Ho rally in Paso Robles this weekend.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #12
bpw
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: Monster 800, BMW r60/2, R100GS, 1935 BSA 250, WR250R. trail 90
Name: Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Budman is on some of these safety boards and the data is there. He is a bit overextended right now. I encourage you to discuss it with him on the Pit Ho rally in Paso Robles this weekend.
Unfortunately, the data really isn't there. No solid research has ever been done comparing lane-sharing to not.

I am pretty sure you are thinking of the Berkeley study that made a comparison of injuries at various lane sharing speeds but specifically did not compare sharing with not sharing. This study has been misquoted and misunderstood (including by Budman) a lot in the moto community. I would suggest reading the actual document.

This is an quote from the Berkeley study (bold added by me):

This study is not without limitations. The primary limitation is our lack of exposure data. To estimate how the risk of being involved in a collision changes when motorcyclists chose to lane-split, we would require information on both the lane-splitting and non-lane-splitting riding that is done by some identifiable sample of motorcyclists. The collection of these data is fraught with problems, and the current study did not attempt to collect such data. The current data set cannot be used to compare the collision risks for lane-splitting or non-lane-splitting riders. The data that we do have enables us only to examine the collision, personal, and injury characteristics of the riders who were involved in traffic collisions and whose collisions occurred in the study jurisdictions.

Last edited by bpw; 05-11-2016 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Poor wording
bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #13
HeatXfer
Not Erudite, just er

AMA #3295418

Motorcycles: '87 Paso 750. '07 KTM 990
Name: Chris
Petition closed with 8,267 of 100,000 needed

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
- Isaac Asimov
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
Schnellbandit
I see 4 lights!

Motorcycles: Suzuki Bandits
Name:
Good it didn't get enough signatures. The last thing motorcyclists need is a federal law allowing lane splitting. It isn't that such a law wouldn't have a short term benefit, allowing lane splitting across the USA, it that getting that through would only setup a precedent to get the federal government involved in also creating more restrictions for motocyclists.

Every law that benefits motorcyclists also imposes restrictions at the same time and having the feds to be the ones to decide them is the worst possible outcome. Beware of federal laws that you think benefit a cause you like. Do we really want other laws affecting motorcycles to go national too? How about emissions/exhausts? Should all states be required to go the CARB way?

California is leading the way, push that state by state and if every state is a little different, no big deal, different steets have different speed limits too yet we figure out how to ride them all.

Last edited by Schnellbandit; 12-19-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Schnellbandit is offline   Reply With Quote