BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #16
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
You only get moto coverage through AAA if you have their highest paid plan, which includes RV's and motorcycles. I'd recommend getting an AMA membership which includes free towing instead of AAA (not too moto friendly IMO)
I wasn't too pleased with AMA tow coverage when I needed to use it. It took them 2.5 hours to get out to me and when the guy arrived, he had no clue how to tie a bike down. I had to put it on the truck (fortunately it ran) and then I had to use his straps to secure it. Probably better that way anyway. And then they wanted to charge me for something and I said screw it and paid anyway even though I shouldn't have had to. YRMV

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #17
DanvilleDSRider
OldnSlow

Motorcycles: 2003 KLX400 2003 DL1000
Name: Bill
I use Foremost insurance on my bikes come with roadside service ... check with the actual insurance company you have .... I also have Premium AAA membership has paid dividends my son 4 wheels......
DanvilleDSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #18
jafo
I act my shoe size

Motorcycles: 929
Name:
they all have issues, i chose coachnet roadside because it has no limits on number of service calls or mileage

and i own too many old hoopties

unlimited towing

No mileage or dollar amount limits – no out of pocket expense when towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility

Coverage includes Member, spouse and dependent children ages 24 and under, and all other personal vehicles owned, rented, borrowed or leased.

I'd rather be a crying little pussy than a faggy goth kid. -Leopold Stotch
jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #19
NeilInPacifica
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: 2017 FZ-09 2016 12GS, 2015 Versys 650
Name: Neil
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSV650 View Post
The roadside assistance programs bundled with my State Farm policy and Verizon cellphone have towed my bikes and cars with alarming frequency over the past decade, for flat tires, starting issues, brake failure, overheating, and an imploded fuel pump.

It's never cost me a penny. AAA has never seemed necessary given the above. YMMV.
Didn't know this, I use State Farm for the cars, motorcycles, and house. Phone is also Verizon. Will look into this.
NeilInPacifica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #20
dtrides
Veteran

Contributor ++++ + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono Factory for the street, Sv 650s for the track
Name: Duncan
Curious..how does Verizon fit in to this?
Thanks! DT
Old 06-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
Heywood
Rookie

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
I just recently joined AAA, also added my son to it as he was headed to CO by car and wanted a safety net for him as well. Here's the bene's listed that was attached to the card when it showed up in the mail. Now I'm not sure what they provide for "Emergency medical transportation" that an ambulance does not but it's good marketing... lol

Last edited by Heywood; 06-14-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #22
Heywood
Rookie

Motorcycles: Versys 650, FZ6
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrides View Post
Thanks! DT
I think he just uses it to call for a tow and SF covers it as part a rider on his policy.
Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 PM   #23
NoneMoreBlack
flâneur

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: SRX600, 900SS, HM1100EVOSP
Name: Joe
Haven't used it that many times and it has already paid for itself, been carrying it about 5 years. DMV is an added perk, also saved some money booking cheaper hotel rooms on a road trip recently.

Definitely something that seemed like a scam to me in the past but in reality it has been nothing but positive, and the top tier is cheaper than Netflix at this point.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:23 AM   #24
PrincessFalafal
Rookie

Motorcycles: Multi PP
Name:
I've gotten motorcycles towed a bunch of times with AAA. Sometimes it can take a couple hours for them to find a tower that can do motorcycles, but they've always come through for me. Totally worth the membership.
PrincessFalafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 AM   #25
bigpoppa
Veteran

AMA #2660268
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: 2016 Triumph Trophy SE, 2020 Energica Eva EsseEsse9
Name:
I have AMA, AAA, and State Farm roadside assistance. While they're all good for general towing services, I signed up for AAA so I could specifically request motorcycle tow companies instead of generic automotive flatbeds which is what AMA and State Farm usually send out. I've never been able to request a dedicated motorcycle tow service with those two.

Locally there's at least one dedicated motorcycle tow service that's part of the AAA network so that convinced me to join AAA.

The other big benefit of AAA for me has been avoiding the DMV offices for many services.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #26
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 Multistrada ST
Name: Bill
AAA depends on your location on what tow you will get. I have the top AAA because of my RV. Needed my bike towed to the dealer in Sacramento and called AAA. They sent Stockton Motorcycle Towing. Pick up set up just for motorcycles, great service.
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #27
thepretender
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
While I thing AAA is great one driver dropped my bike while it was on the truck nearly fell completely off. Just as I was climbing on the truck to hold it up while he took off the straps he was too quick and took them off. Sure enough bam the bike goes down bending my brake lever he didn't want to report it so I took all the cash he had on him and got new levers and $25 after all was said and done.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #28
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna CR390, ST1100 and couple more...
Name: CJ
AAA Premium for me, well worth the money.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

Motorcycles: zzr & xsr
Name: Simon
I made use of AAA premium moto tow, they dispatched a moto specific tow truck, super chill driver
got sideswiped and cleaved off my left peg and shifter in emeryville, got a tow home to libmo, minimal drama, short wait
GPzPop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 PM   #30
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrides View Post
Thanks! DT
When I had a Verizon cellphone (~2010-2013/4?) roadside assistance was included for some reason. I have no idea why. I used the heck out of it.
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote