• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

All right, I admit it, I hate the wind!

Kinda funny. Over on Stromtrooper, the Vstrom forum, there are those who tout the benefits of a fork brace because it tames the beast in crosswinds and when passing trucks like it some kind of magical elixir.

Kinda funny. Over on Stromtrooper, the Vstrom forum, there are those who tout the benefits of a fork brace because it tames the beast in crosswinds and when passing trucks like it some kind of magical elixir.

The 1st gen Vstrom has the worst reputation in crosswinds of any bike I'm aware of. Anything that helps is good I suppose.

I have ridden Stroms in windy conditions, but these were later generation bikes--2015 V & Wee on a demo ride by the Altamont Pass wind farm. They didn't seem terrible in the wind that day for me. I have read the opposite opinion from an owner though.

So, I'm thinking things like weight, wheel base, rake and trail, all that geometric stuff, etc. has a bit to do with it as well.
Yup. Ergonomics too. Riders putting more weight on the bars may translate wind effects into steering inputs.

Back when I was a new rider, I swapped bikes with a buddy. My porky XS500 (which I think had longer than stock forks from previous owner crash repair), and my buddy's CB200 or 250. It was the first time I remember getting blown about by crosswinds. Both utterly nekkid, upright UJMs. But one was lighter and had less stable geometry.

my NC700X is longer, heavier, and lazier geometry vs my naked SV1000, and yet I still think it gets blown around a little more. Sure, I get blown around more on the SV, but the bike doesn't move as much.

I don't doubt your word, so, that's kind of the mystery to the whole topic.

I've found no matter what I'm on, if it's a really cold wind, and if I'm tired, I tend to tense up on the bike -- which of course makes everything worse... so that might play into things too.

Sounds like you are getting old enough for a good Sport Tour bike with a good fairing and adjustable windshield.

I think I might have just sold an FJR, with a Cee Bailey "Wall of plastic" windscreen. I've owned a stupid number of bikes, some of them with extensive fairings, windscreens but even the best windbreakers among them (FJR) won't really eliminate a strong crosswind.

Come to think of it, I've found the more "Protected bikes" may filter out a lot of wind blast from the front, which is nice at higher speeds, but they also interact with cross-winds much more, and a few even created their own wind issues with the windscreen(s) diverting blast in to your face or the top of your helmet.

It was actually a consideration when I was deciding between a R12R and R12RS. I spent a lot of rental time on both models, my conclusion on the wind thing was that the R12RS was only marginally less blustery than the R12, even when there was no screen at all on the R12. I know, you would think that the RS was superior for wind protection, but the bodywork, for me, created it's own weather, and pushed wind straight in to my face, even with the shield all the way up.

If the only thing that matters was wind avoidance, I would have kept the FJR and learned to accept it's built-in porkiness. But in 3 years, we just never clicked. The top heaviness was a characteristic I could not get used-to. Maybe if I were 2 inches taller, and 20 years younger, the heft would not have bothered me.

If there is another big tourer in my future, might be a BMW RT, boxer, where the weight is carried low. I understand a lot of how we interact or feel about a bike in mental, and I almost always get along with bikes that have their weight low and feel balanced at low speeds.

I did a test -ride on a K1600 B recently on a dare. As massive as that girl is, it can practically stand up without putting your feet down at full stop. The 6 cyl motor imparts a feeling of omnipotence on the highway. You get the feeling that you could literally ride in to the sky if you had a 7th gear. Of course parking it is like managing an aircraft carrier with your legs. (even with reverse-assist) But if I were taking a ride to Nova Scotia, that would be the one, no doubt.

Last edited:
I think I might have just sold an FJR, with a Cee Bailey "Wall of plastic" windscreen. I've owned a stupid number of bikes, some of them with extensive fairings, windscreens but even the best windbreakers among them (FJR) won't really eliminate a strong crosswind.

Come to think of it, I've found the more "Protected bikes" may filter out a lot of wind blast from the front, which is nice at higher speeds, but they also interact with cross-winds much more, and a few even created their own wind issues with the windscreen(s) diverting blast in to your face or the top of your helmet.

If the only thing that matters was wind avoidance, I would have kept the FJR and learned to accept it's built-in porkiness. But in 3 years, we just never clicked. The top heaviness was a characteristic I could not get used-to. Maybe if I were 2 inches taller, and 20 years younger, the heft would not have bothered me.

There's something to be said for porky, top-heavy bikes in a strong cross-wind - just lean that thing in and keep cruising (insert shameless, though relevant, plug for a windy ride report on an FJR here).

And I'll generally take rain over wind most days...

There's something to be said for porky, top-heavy bikes in a strong cross-wind - just lean that thing in and keep cruising (insert shameless, though relevant, plug for a windy ride report on an FJR here).

And I'll generally take rain over wind most days...

No doubt there is something to be said for Porky-Tall with giant screens.

I rarely do many really long rides these days. I did a lot of slab-blasting trips with my R1100RS with a slightly taller screen and it was superior as far as weather protection went.
When I rented a '16 RS in Europe I was very unimpressed with it's ability to shed wind, rain, and even bugs. It had a Wunderlich tall shield, too, but the turbulence was pretty annoying even on calm weather days.

We swapped bikes a week later, for a naked R1200R with a tiny fairing thing, and it was much better. The rental guy guy swore that the naked bike produced less wind blast, and he was right.
I was wearing my Shoei Multitec modular, and it's one of the least wind-friendly lids, too.

I agree with the RF1200 comment, too. Some helmets are better for wind, and the Shoei R1200 is a good one.

I know this is controversial, but.... I find speed helps.

The two best bikes I've ridden in STRONG and gusting crosswinds (think Wyoming and the Chinook winds of Colorado

a K1200RS BMW and the FJRs. Both heavy, long wheelbase faired bikes. Stock screens in LOW position. Stay loose with arms, centered on bike with knees against tank, and keep the speed in the 75-80mph range.

The guys who were trying to go slower got blown around much more. Coming up on traffic and slowing to 55, [damn] .. I was getting blown around too, enough where it was hard to stay in the lane.

Not sure why, it's just what I experienced a few times on real windy rides..... fwiw.

Believe it or not, but everytime I go on a long distance ride / trip with my buddies (Tahoe, Reno, LA, Yosemite, etc), when I come across the high winds, going over 70 Mph, I feel my bike will just slip under me. It does want to change directions, and hard to keep it going how I want to. I feel like a Sailboat in the wind drifting all over the place. I've slowed down to about 30 mph on a clear day due to winds, and I remember praying so hard.

O'Yeah, I hate the wind more than anything...

Believe it or not, but everytime I go on a long distance ride / trip with my buddies (Tahoe, Reno, LA, Yosemite, etc), when I come across the high winds, going over 70 Mph, I feel my bike will just slip under me. It does want to change directions, and hard to keep it going how I want to. I feel like a Sailboat in the wind drifting all over the place. I've slowed down to about 30 mph on a clear day due to winds, and I remember praying so hard.

O'Yeah, I hate the wind more than anything...

I haven't heard that complaint about the ZX6R, and I can't find one on the Interwebs, either. It doesn't sound like your head is getting yanked around , though, just the Whole Bike.

My advice is to relax your grip on the bars. I know that might sound counter-intuitive, but if you relax, you're not part of a giant sail, only the bike is still resisting, if you understand what I am saying.
Anyway, next time you are getting blowed around, try easing up your grip and check by flapping your elbows, like a bird.

I got my MRA Vario Sport Touring Screen with Spoiler-dude yesterday. It took a whopping 15 minutes to install, nice.

280 South for a test.

55MPH - No turbulence
65MPH- Teeny tiny turbulence
75- Very little turbulence
85- less than 75MPH turbulence
95 (I only 'kissed' it, I promise) - a little blowier than 85, but totally do-able.

Fixed! I didn't even need to fiddle with the spoiler angle, it just so happens that it works for me, right out of the box. Nice.

Hornig Distributors in Germany had it on my front porch in 6 days, from the EU, for 150 bucks. yeah, baby, those Whacky Germans know engineering and shipping, too.

Last edited:
I don't know what one can do except to just drive a car.
But we don't ride because we care about neck knots or cold we ride because it makes us Smile:teeth

I have a new balaclava I'm going to try out.
The mask goes into my jacket, leaving the cold air from biting so hard when doing 70
It incorporates a mask.
Like this.....

https://www.amazon.com/Balaclava-Ac...=8-4&keywords=balaclava+face+mask+with+filter

This all sucks I know, but what can you really do aside from just drive? Nawwwwwww riding is much more fun

And if you are ever short on cash, just knock off a liquor store. No one will recognize you.

I haven't heard that complaint about the ZX6R, and I can't find one on the Interwebs, either. It doesn't sound like your head is getting yanked around , though, just the Whole Bike.

My advice is to relax your grip on the bars. I know that might sound counter-intuitive, but if you relax, you're not part of a giant sail, only the bike is still resisting, if you understand what I am saying.
Anyway, next time you are getting blowed around, try easing up your grip and check by flapping your elbows, like a bird.

My experience has been with the CBR F4i (my previous bike). Haven't done much riding, let alone a trip on my new ZX6R yet (due to weather).

However, both bikes are sports bikes - I feel due the closed fairing and no place for the wind to pass through (like in a naked bike), a sports bike acts like a sail, especially the lower part of it (which is fully covered by fairings). I used to get the feel like the lower part (tires) will just slide under me to my (left/right) side, while I'm sitting straight on it. I know about relaxing the grip and tucking behind the windshield (as much I can).

I don't think I'm gonna flap my elbows like a bird or else I might begin flying.

In a perfect world I could have a BMW fairing on every bike I ride. Specifically the R 100 RS fairing.

As 65 mph in the driving, hard rain I stayed perfectly dry and in crosswinds never felt a twitch. Why is the good stuff so short term and exclusive?

My experience has been with the CBR F4i (my previous bike). Haven't done much riding, let alone a trip on my new ZX6R yet (due to weather).

However, both bikes are sports bikes - I feel due the closed fairing and no place for the wind to pass through (like in a naked bike), a sports bike acts like a sail, especially the lower part of it (which is fully covered by fairings). I used to get the feel like the lower part (tires) will just slide under me to my (left/right) side, while I'm sitting straight on it. I know about relaxing the grip and tucking behind the windshield (as much I can).

I don't think I'm gonna flap my elbows like a bird or else I might begin flying.

You might get better wind protection with a Zero Gravity Double Bubble. https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/zero-gravity-double-bubble-windscreen-kawasaki-zx6r-zx636-zx10r

I've used them on a CBR F4i, a Superhawk, Yamaha R1 and on my Ducati 916, and got good results.
Not pricey, either.

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/zero-gravity-double-bubble-windscreen-kawasaki-zx6r-zx636-zx10r

You might get better wind protection with a Zero Gravity Double Bubble. https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/zero-gravity-double-bubble-windscreen-kawasaki-zx6r-zx636-zx10r

I've used them on a CBR F4i, a Superhawk, Yamaha R1 and on my Ducati 916, and got good results.
Not pricey, either.

https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/zero-gravity-double-bubble-windscreen-kawasaki-zx6r-zx636-zx10r

I had the Zero Gravity windshield on my F4i, but I'll try the Double Bubble with the ZX6r.
Thanks!

Back