BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Trackdays

Notices

Old 03-21-2021, 07:19 AM   #31
acpigeon

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard
Name:
I had similar experiences with FTD and have been doing Carters exclusively for the last two seasons.

As a beginning -> intermediate track rider I never felt safe riding with the FTD beginner groups. Some of this is was just learning to ride with inexperienced riders as noted above, but more importantly basic rules like DON'T APEX TURN 1 didn't seem to be taken seriously by staff when violated.

I ride Carters B- now and find the events to be very well managed and safety rules are taken very seriously.
acpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #32
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
I have only done 5-6 track days with providers in the past 2 years - FTD, Carters, & PTT. I have not seen a pattern in incidents with the exception of February season, first session and last session of the day. The most friendly staff and instructors (Pete) were from FTDs and Augie is always responsive to my emails.

An older rider reminded me this week about how there were no Track Days when he was younger. I am fortunate and then to have choices on top of that!
We had trackdays.

Sears Point had great trackdays when they let cars and bikes ride all day for $50. It was a bit scary though.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #33
Starpower
Veteran

12% Contributor

Motorcycles: '14 BMW S1000R, '13 Zero S, '01 Artic Cat 500 4x4 '13 WR250R '20 Kuberg Ranger ariving next month!
Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
We had trackdays.

Sears Point had great trackdays when they let cars and bikes ride all day for $50. It was a bit scary though.
Damn, when was that? Trying to remember my 1st time at Sears, must have been around mid 80's on a GPZ 550, bikes only. Good lord I was sloooowwww!
Starpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #34
kmaggy
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor +++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Sea bee arrrs
Name: Kris
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
I heard that Elvis was sighted in Las Vegas.

I hate to see people so ready to slam TDP's for perceived problems. Particularly when it's a rumor.

It's a hard business, and NOBODY is getting rich doing it. Maybe Keith Code makes some coin, none of the Bay Area trackday providers are buying mansions in Woodside. If you work at it hard, you can make a half decent amount of money. That's almost always under six figures, and is accompanied with lots of worry, grief, liability and risk, particularly the last one. Risk People get sued. It happens. See "Danny Kim Laguna."

Safety is paramount for all trackday providers. It's always a concern.
Interesting case. The video looks like there was lots of room to pass, looks like rider just ran wide and target fixated? I know it is easier said and is all from my perspective. Anyways, smells like Kim also used it to promote his C-1 two wheel vehicle in a press statement. https://jalopnik.com/this-track-day-...rac-1824270453
Old 03-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #35
N4teTheGreat
Noob!

Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaggy View Post
Interesting case. The video looks like there was lots of room to pass, looks like rider just ran wide and target fixated? I know it is easier said and is all from my perspective. Anyways, smells like Kim also used it to promote his C-1 two wheel vehicle in a press statement. https://jalopnik.com/this-track-day-...rac-1824270453
All I know is I am glad not to see any updates on their site, because, f that guy.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #36
Saxon

Motorcycles: triumph, suzuki
Name:
I was at FTD this last Sunday's Thunderhill West, CCW 7 turns. Signed up for intermediate group for the first time. Plenty of space and far from full capacity on the 40-65 degree day.

For first timers to a new course, I was encourage and allowed to ride the novice group's first session since it was all sighting laps with no passing allowed.

I was at the lower third in pace, but I am not compressing into the back of slower riders. The faster riders are compressing into me now and there are a few who are diving in at the last second or two so that I have to adjust my line or speed. Am getting adjusted to this. 1 or 2 of those were bad passes in my opinion. An instructor gave me an apologetic wave.

I did compress into the back of one rider suddenly at the latter half of turn 3 and had to hug the outside edge of the tarmac, coming very close to going off the track. He was slightly unpredictable so I gave up trying to pass him, but I received a "visit" from an instructor for trying. I learned to ease off when coming upon slower riders and follow them longer before passing. Not many of those in my case.

Before noon or slightly after, we had a rider go down, but uninjured. Too many people were passing under that incident. I did not see any yellow flags since the incident had just occurred, but I dialed it down.

Augie, owner or operator, called all intermediate riders and chewed them out for passing under yellow and said if it happened again, the our sessions would be cancelled until we got it right.

Still being relatively new, I don't know if this is normal or not, but I felt when things were going south, that management did the right things. Now, for why things were south, I don't know. Are there more risky riders at FTD? I don't think so.

In the afternoon, another rider needed an ambulance ride, I think it was a solo, advanced rider, possibly high side. Broken collar bone and checkout for concussion I heard.

One thing I noticed with my experience at the West End was that I did not seem to see flags well. I don't know if some towers were posted farther away from my peripheral vision or if they just escaped my perception.

Best session was last, was able to have an instructor in front and behind for many good laps. Thanks Alex and Kevin.

I don't like Thunderhill because it's far away, but I like Thunderhill because it's peaceful open country. Why some of you would want to go in the middle of summer's heat, I don't know.
Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #37
Saxon

Motorcycles: triumph, suzuki
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
All I know is I am glad not to see any updates on their site, because, f that guy.
Appears that the incident has been re-branded as a "motorcycle testing accident" on the company's website.

https://www.litmotors.com/media-room

Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #38
MR662
AFM #662

AMA #: 1068326
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: All Kinds
Name: Mike
Every track day provider busts their butts trying to get us a track day. They put their savings account on the line hoping enough of us sign up to break even or maybe make a buck. Cant do a track day during the week, someone probably has one on the weekend. Cant make the weekends, TDP's are booking mid week track days to help get us on the track. Meanwhile prices are going up because the car guys with big money keep requesting more car only track days.

At any rate, the track manages the flag stations and the flow of the track. The instructors/control riders, do their best to ride around track, helping riders and looking for unsafe riding, but they cant be at every corner at every moment. In the end it is the RIDERS who control how the day goes. Like someone mentioned, there seems to be more new riders and people taking up track riding. Which is good for the sport, but these are people that will have to learn track etiquette to be safer. You can also help out by either letting staff know or go up and have a chat with the rider. I know its hard to remember them, but try to get helmet color/design, leathers or bike and then they can be helped. Maybe they don't even know what they're doing is "wrong".

Work:
2018 BMW 1200 RT-P

Play:
2019 BMW R1250 GS
2019 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2020 Kawasaki Z125 Pro
2021 KTM 450 SMR

CMSP Instructor
http://pacificmotorcycletraining.com

Special thanks to: Race Pace Motorsports, Michelin Tires, Spears Racing, MC Tech, Dave Moss Tuning, Fun Track Dayz, Motorex Oil, Arai Helmets, Spy Optics, Woodcraft, Cycle Gear, Matrix Concepts, My Wife
MR662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #39
kmaggy
Veteran

BARF Sponsor
Contributor +++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Sea bee arrrs
Name: Kris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
I was at FTD this last Sunday's Thunderhill West, CCW 7 turns. Signed up for intermediate group for the first time. Plenty of space and far from full capacity on the 40-65 degree day.

For first timers to a new course, I was encourage and allowed to ride the novice group's first session since it was all sighting laps with no passing allowed.

I was at the lower third in pace, but I am not compressing into the back of slower riders. The faster riders are compressing into me now and there are a few who are diving in at the last second or two so that I have to adjust my line or speed. Am getting adjusted to this. 1 or 2 of those were bad passes in my opinion. An instructor gave me an apologetic wave.

I did compress into the back of one rider suddenly at the latter half of turn 3 and had to hug the outside edge of the tarmac, coming very close to going off the track. He was slightly unpredictable so I gave up trying to pass him, but I received a "visit" from an instructor for trying. I learned to ease off when coming upon slower riders and follow them longer before passing. Not many of those in my case.

Before noon or slightly after, we had a rider go down, but uninjured. Too many people were passing under that incident. I did not see any yellow flags since the incident had just occurred, but I dialed it down.

Augie, owner or operator, called all intermediate riders and chewed them out for passing under yellow and said if it happened again, the our sessions would be cancelled until we got it right.

Still being relatively new, I don't know if this is normal or not, but I felt when things were going south, that management did the right things. Now, for why things were south, I don't know. Are there more risky riders at FTD? I don't think so.

In the afternoon, another rider needed an ambulance ride, I think it was a solo, advanced rider, possibly high side. Broken collar bone and checkout for concussion I heard.

One thing I noticed with my experience at the West End was that I did not seem to see flags well. I don't know if some towers were posted farther away from my peripheral vision or if they just escaped my perception.

Best session was last, was able to have an instructor in front and behind for many good laps. Thanks Alex and Kevin.

I don't like Thunderhill because it's far away, but I like Thunderhill because it's peaceful open country. Why some of you would want to go in the middle of summer's heat, I don't know.
Track days is just trackdays, we all paid to have fun and improve our skills on the track. Nobody's going to win $ or getting signed a contract to race for Petronas Yamaha with Morbidelli.

The way I see it.... At the end of the day, we all want to go home with our bikes in one piece. It sounds like you were doing the right thing by "easing" off and being patient on your passes. If you cannot safely pass- then just wait, study his/her lines then you will know on the next lap or turn. Give some space, then you can get a good drive for a pass next turn/lap. Also, It's going to happen- bad passes, close passes etc. talking to the rider or instructor can help. If it's a cluster fest then another option is to exit the track (where you are suppose to exit) go down the pits take a breather and enter the track again. It's us riders that make up the vibe out there- the instructors are outnumbered and cannot be on every turn. I try to leave my ego and just focus on what I'm working on for that session ( moving my eyes, braking, reference points etc.).
Old 03-25-2021, 03:14 PM   #40
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
I think the title of this thread is a little unfair. It kinda makes it seem that FTD is just a mess, rather than one person's opinion. Running track days is not an easy business.

Mad
Old 03-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #41
inthewoods
Veteran

Motorcycles: All kinds
Name:
kmaggy, great post there. It's a good idea to find out where the manned flags stations are on your first few laps.

Also when feeling out a rider in front of you it's a good idea to follow offline, one side or the other, especially in the braking zone.

And be wary of someone way offline. They're liable to change their mind anytime.

Above all, relax.

Thunderhills not so bad in the heat if you prepared.
inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote