BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 PM   #16
Idioteque

Contributor + 1.25%

Motorcycles: NC700X
Name: Steven
OP, I drive that turn every morning. It wasn't you at all. That road has had a crash on it more times in the last few months than it should have. It's slippery as shit. All those tar snakes there make it so. On dry days there's little to worry about but if it's cold out or raining I take that turn super fucking slow.

Just my two cents as someone who frequents that little S-section
Idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
OP, I drive that turn every morning. It wasn't you at all. That road has had a crash on it more times in the last few months than it should have.
Respectfully, if you haven't crashed there, you're doing something differently than other riders have. In saying, "It wasn't you," I think you're emphasizing that the road conditions are sketchy, but it also implies there is nothing he could do differently next time. There probably is and it's good and healthy to figure out what he could learn and apply.

Assuming you haven't crashed there, how did you figure out that traction is poor there without having to find out the hard way? Predicting traction is a vital skill and anything you can say about that could help.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #18
jy116
live+learn

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ6
Name: J-force
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
The questions are very good, though in this case you might not need the answer to all of them. From what we know so far, Id say the most important questions will concern which other controls the rider was using while steering the bike:

Were you on the gas? If so, what were you doing with the control right then?

Were you on either brake? If so, how much? Adding pressure, holding steady or taking away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
The questions are very good, though in this case you might not need the answer to all of them. From what we know so far, Id say the most important questions will concern which other controls the rider was using while steering the bike:

Were you on the gas? If so, what were you doing with the control right then?

Were you on either brake? If so, how much? Adding pressure, holding steady or taking away?
Thanks everyone for the comments and tips. Sorry I forgot to add more data for analysis by this awesome machine that is BARF!

It was around 7am, dry outside, road looked clear, temperature was likely low 50s. I was rushing to get to carpool, had woke up late, and hadn't ridden that road on my FZ for a few months at least. I had driven it with my truck the the day before, similar speed. I was familiar with the entry, but the left kink did come up as a little surprise I guess because it's not the noticeable a transition in a cage. I was on constant throttle through the sweeper, but I let off slightly while prepping for the left transition and maybe wasn't smooth enough with the handle bars and change in body position. I wasn't braking at all. All I remember is going from right lean to upright, about to lean left but slapped the ground instead!

BTW, simple non-occlusive bandages from Walgreens did the trick on my road rash. It's 80% healed with just using those, greased with triple antibiotic ointment, changing every 12hrs.
"Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future" Proverbs 19:20 (ESV)
jy116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #19
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Since you mention changing body position, do you know where you did this in relation to where you steered into the left kink?

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #20
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy116 View Post
I was familiar with the entry, but the left kink did come up as a little surprise I guess because it's not the noticeable a transition in a cage.
Did you feel the turn rushed up to you? Where were you looking? How far ahead? did you turn your head to look thru the turn? Were you looking down for some reason?
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:14 AM   #21
jy116
live+learn

I think I was looking ahead, but didn't prep soon enough, it was a poor response on my part. Going faster than I should have was first mistake. I wanted to move my body slightly to the left but never got to that point.
"Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future" Proverbs 19:20 (ESV)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #22
Beanzy
Rookie

Motorcycles: Looking
Name:
OP, I don't know why you crashed, but to prevent road rash while wearing jeans you ever think of wearing protective shorts like Forcefield?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190324-084235.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	518607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190324-085310.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	518608  
Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #23
jy116
live+learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
OP, I don't know why you crashed, but to prevent road rash while wearing jeans you ever think of wearing protective shorts like Forcefield?
Thanks, I'd use those at a track day for sure. My rash was on my side calf unfortunately... Leathers or racing boots would have been the solution, other than not rushing my commute 😅
Old 03-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #24
Gary856
Are we having fun yet?

Motorcycles: WR250F, 690SM, SD990, R1200GS, MTS1200, 950SM
Name: Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy116 View Post
I was familiar with the entry, but the left kink did come up as a little surprise I guess because it's not the noticeable a transition in a cage. I was on constant throttle through the sweeper, but I let off slightly while prepping for the left transition and maybe wasn't smooth enough with the handle bars and change in body position. I wasn't braking at all. All I remember is going from right lean to upright, about to lean left but slapped the ground instead!
On constant throttle at what rpm? I'm wondering if engine braking played a part when you "let off slightly" - how slightly is that in terms of rpm drop? Did you slow much?

"about to lean left" means you were fully upright and went down suddenly? What were you doing with the handle bar? How "wasn't smooth enough" was that?

What was your lane position (right track, center, left track) before and after the right-left transition? Did you cross the center (greasy?) as you transition from right to upright/left?

Last edited by Gary856; 03-25-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Gary856 is offline   Reply With Quote