BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 04-06-2019, 09:26 AM   #16
CVE

Motorcycles: bicycle
Name:
up to 60% of motor-vehicle / bicycle collisions resulting in emergency room visits are not reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
A quick check of the statewide crash data for 2017 shows that in crashes where a bicycle is involved with a vehicle, the bicyclist is at fault nearly twice as often as the driver.

So: In the event of a crash where the bicyclist has video, can it be subpoenaed by the driver?
Can you share a link to this report? Neither SWITRS or OTS provide statewide searches so we are interested in how to perform this search.

In addition to SFSV650's anecdote, the Federal Highway Administration's research stated that up to 60% of motor-vehicle / bicycle collisions resulting in emergency room visits are not reported to law enforcement so they also don't make it into statewide crash data.

Our mission is to help create safe shared streets which is why we encourage all motorcyclists to ride with a camera and to submit all near miss incident reports to our free incident management system. Our goal is to provide near miss data for traffic planners and to educate dangerous drivers before collisions occur.

We hope you will all join us!

www.CyclistVideoEvidence.com

Last edited by CVE; 04-06-2019 at 01:23 PM..
CVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #17
dittoalex
Too much lean angle...

Motorcycles: XB9SX, Zero SR
Name: Alexandru
The logo scares me.

dittoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #18
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVE View Post
Can you share a link to this report? Neither SWITRS or OTS provide statewide searches so we are interested in how to perform this search.
I did this with a query on my copy of SWITRS data in Excel.

I can coach you through the process of obtaining SWITRS data and loading it into Excel. It might be a useful resource for your organization (some Excel skill required).

PM me if you're interested.

There is also a canned SWITRS report format for bicycle crashes, which includes the at-fault determination, though it isn't useful for tallying results from a large set. I did one for San Francisco, but the file produced (PDF) is too big to attach to a BARF post. So I did one for San Luis Obispo PD cases and attached it. At least you get an idea of what is available. The Word file attached, which comes along with the report, explains its contents.

To produce one of these reports start at this page on the SWITRS site, create an account, then select SWITRS Reports from the menu on the left. Again, PM me if you'd like some coaching.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SWITRS SLO bicycle crashes 2017.pdf (67.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: doc SW.LSTREFNWrev2003.doc (33.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
LongGoneJohn
Gone

AMA #: 2809843
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Ah. We don't like the data we see so it must be wrong or at least incomplete.

Let me toss some anecdotal data out there too. On a given day, how many cars do you see running red lights, turning from improper lanes, impeeding traffic, passing on shoulders and running stop signs? Now compare that to how many bicycles you see doing that stuff every single day. There's a reason they're at fault for collisions in DataDan's data, it's the way they ride and their smaller amount of visibility.

Quite honestly, not all that indifferent than motorcyclists.

How about we start requiring bicyclists to have a license, insurance and pay registration fees if they're using public roadways? We can base the fees on weight and value like we do anyone else who uses public roadways.

How about we use that money to widen roadways or create bicycle lanes so everyone can operate on the public roadways safely and while paying their fair share.
LongGoneJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #20
UDRider
FLCL?

Contributor

Motorcycles: The lulz machine.
Name:
Fucking predictable.
Post "Hey there is this thing that addresses issues cyclists see".
Peanut gallery
"Yeah but what about those other cyclists that I see do wrong things."

FFRF fighting for our rights not to live under religious government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebeast View Post
no. nothing against strippers. just have never completely trusted anyone in sales and marketing.
UDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
This thread is not about bicyclist behavior nor motorcycle behavior.

It is about collecting video evidence about aggressive or dangerous drivers so MOD request to keep it on that track.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #22
LongGoneJohn
Gone

Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Name:
Erased out of respect for budman's request.

Last edited by LongGoneJohn; 04-06-2019 at 11:48 AM..
Old 04-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #23
CVE

Name:
DataDan,

Thanks for the offer but we are SWITRS and Excel proficient. Our question was in reply to "A quick check of the statewide crash data for 2017."

When one attempts to generate a SWITRS report without selecting a jurisdiction or county it comes back with "Can not select State wide report for SWITRS Report." So we wondered how one can quickly check statewide crash data for 2017 and determine "the bicyclist is at fault nearly twice as often as the driver."

We went through your San Luis Obispo report and it listed 13 of 34 cases as the cyclist's fault. Since video evidence is objective data it can prove who is at fault in a collision to remove any ambiguity

As we documented in our previous post, up to 60% of motor-vehicle / cyclist collisions that result in emergency room visits are not reported to law enforcement so collision data is severely under-reported.

We believe changing the focus to near misses can prevent collisions and help make our shared streets safer for all users.

This is why we encourage all motorcyclists to ride with a camera and to submit all near miss incident reports to our free incident management system. Our goal is to provide near miss data for traffic planners and to educate dangerous drivers before collisions occur.

Last edited by CVE; 04-06-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Old 04-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #24
LongGoneJohn
Gone

Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Name:
DataDan does this all the time. He likely has compiled the statewide data in the past and has it locally saved and searchable on his own document.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
day004
Major PITA

AMA Life Member #538338
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: VFR1200f
Name: Dave
Perhaps having bicyclists use cameras will make them safer by reducing the number of illegal maneuvers the do. Knowing that their poor judgments can be used against them is a great motivator to better behavior.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is not.
day004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #26
DataDan
Mama says he's bona fide

BARF Mod Alumni
BARFie winner 2010 & 2014
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR1300
Name: Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVE View Post
Thanks for the offer but we are SWITRS and Excel proficient. Our question was in reply to "A quick check of the statewide crash data for 2017."
I apologize for sending this thread off track and for underestimating your knowledge of the data.

A "quick check" was possible because I have raw data on all 485,000 California crashes in 2017 (and back to 2001). I use it mainly for motorcycles, but it's all there. Data files are publicly available via the SWITRS website.

I counted "collision" file rows where BICYCLE_ACCIDENT = "Y" by STWD_VEHTYPE_AT_FAULT. Here is a compilation of the larger Bay Area counties:

Vehicle Type at Fault in Bicycle Collisions, Selected Bay Area Counties 2017

Alameda Contra Costa San Francisco San Mateo Santa Clara ---total--- -----%-----
passenger car/station wagon 247 59 225 101 168 800 40.0%
passenger car with trailer 1 0 0 0 0 1 0.0%
motorcycle/scooter 2 0 3 0 1 6 0.3%
pickup or panel truck 13 3 14 12 8 50 2.5%
pickup or panel truck with trailer 1 0 1 1 0 3 0.1%
truck or truck tractor 4 0 3 0 1 8 0.4%
truck or truck tractor with trailer 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0%
schoolbus 0 0 0 1 1 2 0.1%
other bus 3 0 4 1 2 10 0.5%
emergency vehicle 3 0 0 0 0 3 0.1%
highway construction equipment 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0%
bicycle 319 135 246 131 266 1097 54.8%
other vehicle 0 0 1 1 0 2 0.1%
pedestrian 4 1 14 1 0 20 1.0%
moped 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0%
blank - not stated 83 28 92 21 173 397
total 680 226 603 270 620 2399

Percentages calculated on total minus not stated.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #27
CVE

Name:
Thanks for the additional info DataDan.

We love digging through data, and generating entirely new near miss data to prevent collisions, so we're kindred spirits.