BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Welcome Mat > Newbies

Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
jpsoultanis

Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
Name: Joe
New to BARF - Hello from Palo Alto!

Hi folks!

Brand new to this forum. Just passed my CMSP course and picked up my M1 license this morning from the DMV, so I'm very excited!

Looking at getting my first bike and helmet in the next week, with other gear to follow.

New rider that will mostly be going from downtown Palo Alto to the hills near Los Altos. Figured I could use something besides coffee to get me up and alert in the morning, and make the commute more fun. Happy to hear any tips for progressing my riding skills, finding used bikes on Craigslist + BARF (or other places), and amassing my first set of gear.

Cheers!
jpsoultanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
maverickmho

Motorcycles: GSX-S1000
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoultanis View Post
Hi folks!

Brand new to this forum. Just passed my CMSP course and picked up my M1 license this morning from the DMV, so I'm very excited!

Looking at getting my first bike and helmet in the next week, with other gear to follow.

New rider that will mostly be going from downtown Palo Alto to the hills near Los Altos. Figured I could use something besides coffee to get me up and alert in the morning, and make the commute more fun. Happy to hear any tips for progressing my riding skills, finding used bikes on Craigslist + BARF (or other places), and amassing my first set of gear.

Cheers!
Hello, jpsoultanis. Congrats on your M1 license and safety course pass. Here's some tips: continue going to a parking lot to practice emergency braking without skidding, and practice low speed maneuvers trying to keep your feet on the pegs as much as possible (you're going to use these skills immediately when you commute); use a bit of back brake to steady your bike in low speed maneuvering.

When you're shopping on craigslist, study pics of your target bike online to see what a stock bike is equipped with, that way when you see the craigslist bike in person you will know if something is missing (e.g., missing a centerstand, or a body panel); and always ask if there are overdue registration fees (in order to avoid a nasty surprise at DMV).

In terms of gear, for a helmet, you don't have to spend more than $200 for your first quality helmet. Go to CycleGear or anywhere else with a large wall of display helmets, and spend time trying them all on. Happy riding.
maverickmho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Seduction
Remember to ride safe.

Contributor +

Motorcycles: The Slow One
Name:
My friend might be selling his 2015 Yamaha R3 with 53xx miles soon. Clean title and with a few mods. Very clean.

I am selling my Alpinestars textile jacket. Size small.

PM me or leave comment if you are interested.
Seduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, RM250
Name: Steve
Work on a High Visual Horizon. The MOST common mistakes we ALL made as noobs was to look really close to the front of the bike. It is critical that you learn to keep your eyes up and looking down the road and around corners.

MAd
Old 06-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
jpsoultanis

Update here: first bike acquired! Proud new owner of a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS. Looking for a summer / 3 season jacket now - I'm 5'10", 162lb and generally wear size medium if anyone has anything.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 AM   #6
motomania2007
MSF/MTC CMSP Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Congratulations on your new bike! Welcome to riding and to BARF.

Where did you take your CMSP course?

I echo the above advice.

The 300 Ninja is a great bike t start with as it is unintimidating and therefore easier to learn on.

Make sure all the levers are adjusted to fit you.

Think of all the exercises of range day 2, and practice them:
Smooth starting out, shifting and stopping with your eyes well out ahead of you.
Quick stops smoothly adding increasing pressure to the front brake
Riding through turns with adjusting your speed before the turn, your lane position before the turn to align your bike with the turn point, set your body position before the turn, look through the turn before you turn the bike and continuing to look through the turn toward the exit and your path beyond the exit and then turn the bike while maintaining or adding speed through the corner.

Keep practicing in a parking lot so you can do all of these things without much thought, then you can go mix it up with LIGHT traffic.

Hopefully you have been practicing SIPDE while driving your car so you can continue to practice SIPDE while riding your bike.

Come back and take the Intermediate Riding Clinic in a month or two to bump your skills and confidence up even more.

www.motojitsu.com is also a great resource for self-guided practice.

If I can help, don't hesitate to ask.

<stands, raises hand> Hello, my name is George and I am a motorcycle addict!

Please come to one of my MSF, Total Control or CMSP classes and allow me to share my addiction with you.
Total Control MTC, IRC and ARC instructor

http://www.valleymotorcycletraining.com/signup.html

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Joe

Congrats on the new bike.

One piece of advice.. some good stuff given.

Look where you want to go.
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:18 AM   #8
jpsoultanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomania2007 View Post
Congratulations on your new bike! Welcome to riding and to BARF.

Where did you take your CMSP course?

I echo the above advice.

The 300 Ninja is a great bike t start with as it is unintimidating and therefore easier to learn on.

Make sure all the levers are adjusted to fit you.

Think of all the exercises of range day 2, and practice them:
Smooth starting out, shifting and stopping with your eyes well out ahead of you.
Quick stops smoothly adding increasing pressure to the front brake
Riding through turns with adjusting your speed before the turn, your lane position before the turn to align your bike with the turn point, set your body position before the turn, look through the turn before you turn the bike and continuing to look through the turn toward the exit and your path beyond the exit and then turn the bike while maintaining or adding speed through the corner.

Keep practicing in a parking lot so you can do all of these things without much thought, then you can go mix it up with LIGHT traffic.

Hopefully you have been practicing SIPDE while driving your car so you can continue to practice SIPDE while riding your bike.

Come back and take the Intermediate Riding Clinic in a month or two to bump your skills and confidence up even more.

www.motojitsu.com is also a great resource for self-guided practice.

If I can help, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks a lot for the tips moto! I took it with Pacific Motorcycle Training and had a great experience
Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
jpsoultanis

Here's a pic! Not my usual style, but at least people will see me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2613.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	521566