Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #61
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
I didn't have any sleep for 3 consecutive nights during the heatwave. Just recovering now. Saving money to someday install AC. Good thread, OP!

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:30 PM   #62
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
When I lived in Sac I'd put a 2 liter bottle of water in the freezer every day and sleep with it at night. By morning it would be 3/4 thawed and I'd throw it back in the freezer.
It wasn't a perfect solution but when ya start loosing sleep ya gotta try somethin.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 AM   #63
AwakeNAlive
Veteran

AMA #: 2865228
Contributor +++++++++ + + + + + +

Motorcycles: a sea turtle
Name:
That's what my other half does for the bunny. Freeze water in bottles and throw it in his pen, let it thaw and repeat ...

Weather forecast says the temps are going to be rising again tomorrow and Tuesday. I think if this kind of weather becomes more frequent, I'd invest in a room ac unit. It would take a permanent change in the weather for me to spend major bucks to install a whole ac system.

"A meaningful silence is always better than meaningless words" --Positive Energy+

Last edited by AwakeNAlive; 06-16-2019 at 06:03 AM..
AwakeNAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #64
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
It's so hot, they are lowering the speed limit on the Autobahn...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hn-speed-limit
ctwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #65
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
did it break any records this year in SF the last 2 weeks during that cray heat wave?

i went to san jose last weekend, in the 90's but driving through sf it was pleasant overcast foggy low 70s still.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #66
Aeroslash
Paddywhack

Motorcycles: Current: '14 FZ-09. Sold: '99 R1 ; '07 Buell XB9sx
Name: Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
did it break any records this year in SF the last 2 weeks during that cray heat wave?

i went to san jose last weekend, in the 90's but driving through sf it was pleasant overcast foggy low 70s still.
In SF records were broken for sure. I recall hearing one of the days it was 89F in SF by 11am...breaking a previous high from the early 1980s.

I ended up using a damp towel as a blanket to sleep and it worked a charm!

And to think we are planning on moving to Atlanta next year...high 80s and low 90s with lots of humidity for months on end. The struggle will be real.
Aeroslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #67
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroslash View Post
In SF records were broken for sure. I recall hearing one of the days it was 89F in SF by 11am...breaking a previous high from the early 1980s.

And to think we are planning on moving to Atlanta next year...high 80s and low 90s with lots of humidity for months on end. The struggle will be real.
I lived in Atlanta for a year back in the 80s as a kid with my cousins. So...so...hot. The humidity is what killed me all the dang time. The 4th of July laser and fireworks show at Stone Mountain is pretty nice. Minus the heat of course .
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #68
gnahc79
Fear me!

Contributor

Motorcycles: snoozing
Name:
In other news...
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/27/world...ntl/index.html

Quote:
Firefighters in Spain are battling a major wildfire that probably started after a heap of manure self-ignited amid the intense European heat wave.

Around 10,000 acres of forest and other vegetation were affected by the blaze near Tarragona in the country's north-east, according to the Catalan regional government.
Authorities said the fire likely began when an "improperly managed" pile of manure self-combusted in the heat, causing sparks.
Spontaneous ignitions can occur when flammable materials, such as piles of hay, compost or manure heat up to a temperature high enough to cause combustion, according to the US National Park Service.
gnahc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:20 AM   #69
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:

Yeah it is hot down here in the sticky south but every newish home has AC so it is not that big of a deal. If you are hot you go inside. Also, you know to expect the heat at certain times of the year so you know you have to deal with it and it isn't a big surprise when it happens. The only really shit thing is hurricanes but I don't remember Atlanta getting a big one so should be good and they give plenty of advance warning that they are coming so you can gt out of dodge if you want to.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #70
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
Yeah it is hot down here in the sticky south but every newish home has AC so it is not that big of a deal. If you are hot you go inside. Also, you know to expect the heat at certain times of the year so you know you have to deal with it and it isn't a big surprise when it happens. The only really shit thing is hurricanes but I don't remember Atlanta getting a big one so should be good and they give plenty of advance warning that they are coming so you can gt out of dodge if you want to.
Doesn't sound like much fun if you're a motorcyclist or enjoy other outdoor activities.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #71
Aeroslash
Paddywhack

Quote:
Thanks, good to hear some reassurance that the sticky south can be made tolerable. Will definitely be getting membership to a swimming pool and seeking out a new or nearly new house with A+ insulation and AC setup.
One thing I am excited about is enjoying warm nights - that is an absolute non-event in SF.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #72
Sharxfan
Veteran

Motorcycles: SV1000 s
Name:
Quote:
Thanks, good to hear some reassurance that the sticky south can be made tolerable. Will definitely be getting membership to a swimming pool and seeking out a new or nearly new house with A+ insulation and AC setup.
One thing I am excited about is enjoying warm nights - that is an absolute non-event in SF.
There will be some nice nights around March-May when the weather is so nice you wonder why everyone doesn't live here. Then Summer comes and it's hot and sticky and for me, the nights are too humid but it is doable. I am not sure exactly how Atlanta is but mosquitos are an issue during summer and if you have any kind of yard plan on mowing it every week as it helps keep mosquitos down. If you are into it, the weather will be mostly shorts/t-shirts with a few pants days thrown in, I really miss wearing a jacket because it is cold out.
Sharxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #73
Aeroslash
Paddywhack

Quote:
There will be some nice nights around March-May when the weather is so nice you wonder why everyone doesn't live here. Then Summer comes and it's hot and sticky and for me, the nights are too humid but it is doable. I am not sure exactly how Atlanta is but mosquitos are an issue during summer and if you have any kind of yard plan on mowing it every week as it helps keep mosquitos down. If you are into it, the weather will be mostly shorts/t-shirts with a few pants days thrown in, I really miss wearing a jacket because it is cold out.
On the mosquito issue, I have some in-laws living in ATL and it seems quite common there to get a monthly treatment on the perimeter of your property that somehow mitigates the mosquito activity. Can't speak to how it works or to its effectiveness, but the in-laws seemed to think it made a significant difference. At least in ATL there are 3-4 seasons with a mild winter-so it'll be comfortable at least half the time.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #74
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

I always liked movies based in the south but nope wouldn't want to live there.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #75
Bzwrthy
FNORD

AMA Defender #: 971449
Contributor + + + + + + + BB

Motorcycles: sv650 nekid, drz400sm
Name: RO
We use an air compressor and hoses in our sewing department to blow debris off of leather after it's cut

I just walked out to the warehouse and saw two of our shipping guys with the hoses down their pants to cool/dry off their parts

this causes some molecules to be all like “whoa dude, let’s turn into the molecule that gets people high” and the other molecules are like “hell yeah bro let’s do it” - mean dad

Guarantee a flat ass has that line where the cootch is - *Tina*

Craig Hightower Dirk Sundman HOHO
Bzwrthy is online now   Reply With Quote