Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM   #31
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
I think it was on the way to Weaverville last year, someone remarked to Beks, who was riding pillion with Tom, that they sure were riding fast for 2 up. Beks replied "I didn't buy the slow ticket".
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #32
SVsick50
@RiderInBlack

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, SV650
Name: Dion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedraggeroldy View Post
accordingly for as you point out it's about improving stability and handling which tends to be safer overall (such as the bottom out and sagging or god forbid wallowing in and out of corners...aka my old FJ1100.
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #33
ZCrow
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 07 GSXR 600 (track) & 09 Street Triple (street)
Name: Zack
[QUOTE=SVsick50;10345194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedraggeroldy View Post

I don't think it's a good perspective.

Many people want to get the best out of their bike, hence why we adjust our suspension in the first place...
A couple of thoughts on your reply, one I think a lot of people put way too much focus on their hardware and not enough on the rider. Would adjusting your suspension be ideal, sure, is it really necessary? Unless you a riding at felony speeds, no. I know some people get off on stressing the details but this really is not as big of a deal as it is being made out to be.

I am not advocating against adjusting, I just staying people are splitting hairs here. Motorcycles are not riding that fine of an edge and their is plenty of room in performance to give someone a ride without having to bust out tools. If you are wallowing or bottoming out while giving someone a ride then you are the problem not the bike or lack of adjustments.
ZCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #34
SVsick50
@RiderInBlack

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, SV650
Name: Dion
[QUOTE=ZCrow;10345641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsick50 View Post
If you are wallowing or bottoming out while giving someone a ride then you are the problem not the bike or lack of adjustments.
Or possibly - just a thought - a saggy suspension that's not suited for a heavier weight. Why are you debating such a simple thing? The better question is, why am I being pulled into your trolling?

15+ years of BARF and over two decades of riding motorcycles, I should know better...

...anyway, again, thanks to all who chimed in. I will more than likely give the bike some adjustment for us. I think it will make for a better quality ride overall, and safer, too.

Last edited by SVsick50; 06-14-2019 at 05:41 AM..
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #35
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsick50 View Post
Or possibly - just a thought - a saggy suspension that's not suited for a heavier weight. Why are you debating such a simple thing? The better question is, why am I being pulled into your trolling?

15+ years of BARF and over two decades of riding motorcycles, I should know better...

...anyway, again, thanks to all who chimed in. I will more than likely give the bike some adjustment for us. I think it will make for a better quality ride overall, and safer, too.
Thank goodness. I thought you might follow the illogical advice. My experience says that spring preload and rear tire pressure are the most critical. Don't forget a little more compression and preload in the front. You will be diving more under braking. A spanner, a tire gauge and a pump. Yep. Don't forget the passenger "gear". (What ever that means to you.)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #36
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
+1 yup, I chose to not reply happy riding!
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:14 PM   #37
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
I carry a passenger infrequently and don’t make suspension adjustments. I may increase rear tire pressure a little but find the bike handles well enough for anything I’m going to do with a passenger without changing settings.

I outweigh my passengers significantly, so while my settings may not be ideal with a passenger, they’re likely better than they would be for someone seventy pounds lighter than me carrying the same passenger.

Throttle control is always important but rolling on as soon as I set the lean angle and line minimizes squat with a passenger.

California Superbike School tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:45 PM   #38
JimE
Rider

AMA #: 3188342
Contributor ++ 5%

Motorcycles: '06 S2R1k, '05 DRZ400S/SM, '98 DR350s, '10 R1200GS, '09 F800GS
Name: Jim
Motorbike camping is our favorite "us" thing to do together. We've logged thousands of miles and countless long weekends all over CA. Sometimes we just point the bike and wind up pitching the tent where we land. Dirt roads 2-up are interesting. One time I did a fly and ride 1500 miles away and picked her up at the airport next day on the bike. Took a week coming home. Just because.

I'm going to take this space to be grateful for just how lucky a guy I am.

Now about settings in a nutshell it's this: the more you load the bike the more important it's going to be. That means tires too they are part of the suspension. If you don't then your going to drift and wallow in the corners and your reaction time will be slowed. Rear preload is going to be the most affected and you can probably get away with only changing the rear settings between solo and double. You can get away with skipping the tires if the passenger is light and there's no luggage. Now add boxes, bags and gear and tires get damn important. Go for long runs of slab from here to there and you better pay attention if you don't want to change rubber from either blowing or wearing them out. With the riders and bags I've probably had 500# of stuff on a 500# R1150GS and while that bike was super poised, surprisingly nimble and even handled all the dirt around Lake Pillsbury: it was a bitch to park. Wanted to fall over off the sidestand. Or break it. So another point to watch.

Just go for it. Follow the instructions came with the bike. You'll have a blast. Best part? When you spend money on the bike it's for "us". Priceless.
JimE is online now   Reply With Quote