BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 06-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Siris
Rookie

Motorcycles: ‘17 Tuono
Name:
Aftermarket Exhaust & Warranty

So I've been considering an aftermarket slip-on with Aprilia’s race ECU for my bike for a while. I still have another year of factory warranty, followed by another three years of extended warranty.

However, the official stance from the manufacture and extended warranty people is that my warranty would be void.

What has been your repair experience when under warranty period for a bike with an aftermarket slip-on/system? Right now, I am assuming that my warranty is void should I proceed with changing the stock exhaust.

Last edited by Siris; 06-17-2019 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: edited for clarity
Siris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
Whammy
Veteran of Road Racing

AMA #3283620
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2016 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Name:
Did you search aftermarket exhaust?
Engines going south on Aprilia? Never heard of one on teh barfs but ya never know.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:14 PM   #3
Siris
Rookie

Name:
Not specifically Aprilia. Just wondering how warranty has been handled with modified exhaust by different manufactures and warranty providers.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
bobl
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX6 Kawasaki
Name:
You should probably check with a lawyer to be sure, but my understanding of Magnuson Moss is that the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the failure was caused by the modification. As far as California emissions and warranty, I believe the emission equipment must be warrantied for 5 years.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
The slip on should not void the warranty, if you removed the cat then your dealing with EPA shit and not necessarily the mfg warranty.

Post this up on AF1, aprilia is so weird, there were conflicting reports stating the dealer sold aprilia "race" ecu would disable warranty, people went crazy because lotsa dealers were selling a akrapovic slip on with race ecu as a upgrade to the bike out the door and now we were told they made those bikes potentially out of warranty, then another email comes out stating race ecus were ok.

I dont buy into the manuson moss acts, multiple reports say the dealer will stick it to you, use their lawyers on retainers and then force you to spend shitloads of $$$$ to prove whatever thing is wrong, and then the judge just wont side with you 1/2 the time.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 06-17-2019 at 04:50 PM..
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner)
Name: George
If unsure Just keep your stock exhaust and if anything happens put it back on before making the warranty claim if related to the exhaust/engine.

My co worker put a full exhaust with cat delete on his fz09 with NO fueling changes. I know you are talking a slip on only but I am curious to see if the fz09 develops any problems.

Last edited by banshee01; 06-17-2019 at 04:56 PM..
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:01 PM   #7
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee01 View Post
If unsure Just keep your stock exhaust and if anything happens put it back on before making the warranty claim if related to the exhaust/engine.

My co worker put a full exhaust with cat delete on his fz09 with NO fueling changes. I know you are talking a slip on only but I am curious to see if the fz09 develops any problems.
um, that is not a great idea, a slip on is ok, but a full exhaust is gonna change flow quite drastically and that will ultimately effect the motors reliability until its tuned correctly

Even a midpipe that eliminates cats and not a full on exhaust with headers needs remapping imo.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 701 SM 17 701 Enduro 17 z900 12 kx100 02 kx250 01 yz 125 (loaner)
Name: George
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
um, that is not a great idea, a slip on is ok, but a full exhaust is gonna change flow quite drastically and that will ultimately effect the motors reliability until its tuned correctly

Even a midpipe that eliminates cats and not a full on exhaust with headers needs remapping imo.
Agreed but he is a young kid and I can't tell him nothing lol. I told him he should just buy an AFR widebandsensor and lets find out if it is really running lean or not. I am curious if anyone has ever done that to see his lean it is. I know you can go through less trouble to just adjust the fueling but let's find out
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
Siris
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
The slip on should not void the warranty, if you removed the cat then your dealing with EPA shit and not necessarily the mfg warranty.

Post this up on AF1, aprilia is so weird, there were conflicting reports stating the dealer sold aprilia "race" ecu would disable warranty, people went crazy because lotsa dealers were selling a akrapovic slip on with race ecu as a upgrade to the bike out the door and now we were told they made those bikes potentially out of warranty, then another email comes out stating race ecus were ok.

I dont buy into the manuson moss acts, multiple reports say the dealer will stick it to you, use their lawyers on retainers and then force you to spend shitloads of $$$$ to prove whatever thing is wrong, and then the judge just wont side with you 1/2 the time.
There's been multiple discussions on exhaust vs warranty on that forum. AF1's stance has been that it's really dependent on how the dealer interfaces with the manufacture and how much the dealer is willing to battle for you. So if I were using them, I probably wouldn't have to worry too much. But officially, you modify the stock ECU/exhaust, then emissions/engine related issues not supported by the warranty.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
You maybe might be legally within your rights to make some modifications to the exhaust etc without voiding the warranty but if things somehow go sideways in a bad $$$$ way and the dealer/manufacturer says boohoo too bad, warranty void, it will take you lots of time, energy and $$$ to set things right.