BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > BARF Love of Community > Riders On The Mend

Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Motorcycles: ZRX1200
Name: "Dave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcootz View Post
I don't think you should feel funny getting some help. It's what community is for and the giving is totally voluntary. Let us help, we want to!!!
Well, until force-ably retired due to injury a couple years back, I had been steadily employed since the age of 14 up until the age of 53 (I started in Dads auto repair shop.) But since the big head injury & strokes, I had to retire as just can't work anymore. I've lost both short & long-term memory, plus the ability to do complex tasks. Something I used to be good ad. Sux!

I've always supported myself & family that whole 40+ years. I've only accepted charity a couple times during that entire time, & that was only just recently. I felt very weird accepting monies from others, as like I say always worked my butt off to make my own way. Now that's changed...(sigh)...If you know what I mean...?

In the last few years the ZRXOA (ZRX Owners Association) has done 2 raffle's in my benefit. Both times sucessful. 1st time was to help me get back on my feet just after the injuries, & astonishingly they raised $3.3K back in ~07' right about Christmas. Saved me from losing the house+ a great number of things.

Last fall, they had a get-together for Gear (I gained 20lbs & no longer fit my leathers), & got me 2 complete textile cold-weather riding suits. Whoa! I'm just extremely grateful that someone would be nice enough to do these things, & I had a very hard time w/the 1st one as I couldn't believe a bunch of internet buds would do that for a stranger. Still astonished, but yes it did happen.

So, I donno- guess any help would be greatly appreciated. Still feel weird tho as I was so used to supporting me & the family myself. What I really need to do is have a "wrenchday" (or similar) someplace so I can get some help w/the bike as it needs a bunch of TLC; some of it scheduled maintenance, some of it repairs. Thanks to the new hand injury, it's been hard to turn a wrench, & I been too depressed to look at it. Thus I haven't ridden since July or something like that...

-ebd
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
EBD happy to do what I can.

Do you need help getting the bike in order, PT, making a mortgage payment?
Paypal address?

It feels good to be able to do something, regardless of how small, it all adds up!!!

Push pride aside! What can we do?
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
I can donate for a raffle:
1 DMV transaction (winner pays fees, I do the legwork-this could be an awesome prize for someone attempting to get a salvage title)
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
You go where you look!
HOHO
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Oh BTW, one of the guys on zrxoa got me this video, which shows the exact problem. On this page is a video of =exactly= the problem I have. Scroll down the page until you see the 4 small video's of a hand w/4 variations of this problem. The one on the top left is exactly the one I have. I think using the mouse daily is aggravating it as well (stop using computer?)

http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm
Old 02-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hornet View Post
EBD happy to do what I can.

Do you need help getting the bike in order, PT, making a mortgage payment?
Paypal address? It feels good to be able to do something, regardless of how small, it all adds up!!! Push pride aside! What can we do?
Well there's one big problem. PayPal (Ebay owned) had a problem w/that 1st raffle & wouldn't release the funds pouring in for me. I guess I shouldn't have said "benefit raffle" on what kind of transaction it was. Big mistake.

They claimed it was some kind of fraudulent transaction & would have to be investigated before releasing the funds to me. Despite dozens of calls/emails from myself & the raffle organizers from across North America, after 90 days of fighting them the funds were still w/PayPoop & they refused to budge.

I finally hit the roof extremely miffed, & called "KTVU" explaining my problem to a reporter. I suggested showing up 1st thing 8AM on a Monday morning on Ebays doorsteps w/cameras & protest signs to explain my situation to a live TV audience. A great way to greet arriving CEO's/Ebay Corporate's, etc. I also suggested litigation was in progress; I forwarded this info to Ebay/pp.

After that conversation, they immediately released the funds, with the caveat being neither I or any of my family ever do business with either Ebay or PayPoop again. I said fine & they released the funds. Now I can't use them for anything anymore so any funding would have to be done outside of that organization.

Maybe someone would have to take care of that for me I guess?

As far as where the money would go, I have my wifie do all the finances these days (as I get confused), but we are way behind on everything/mortage payment/maxed out credit cards, need to get to doc/ortho surgeon/etc.

The bike needs a front tire (existing one has tread, but it's 9 years old & feels weird), & possibly fix a warped disk. It's possible it might just need a good bleeding which I don't have a "Mighty Vac" or anything like that. The clutch needs bleeding too; it got all stainless lines (Spiegler) just before I got it, but thinking previous owner didn't bleed things right as have problems w/both clutch & brakes.

Bike is all stock except the ss lines. The suspension is way out in left field. I tried adjusting it but made it worse; I just don't recall how to do this. The bugger is I was pretty good at that back when I was racing, I just can't figger it out nowadays...

hope I answered all q's...

-ebd
Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
kiltwearinfool
do not read this title

Founding Member
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: OK
Name: John
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayDave View Post
now the ring finger (& pinkie) will not go thru it's range of motion. Something it get's "caught" (ligament?) & it spikes pain & will not move any further. I can no longer create a "fist" or grip anything like a handlebar.
Sounds kind of like a trigger finger, but in reverse? My wife had this happen with her pinkie, she had surgery and it's fine. Let me know if you want me to get her surgeon's info - we're on the peninsula.

Donate to GaryJ's appreciation fund if you can.
kiltwearinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltwearinfool View Post
Sounds kind of like a trigger finger, but in reverse? My wife had this happen with her pinkie, she had surgery and it's fine. Let me know if you want me to get her surgeon's info - we're on the peninsula.
Yep, "Trigger Finger" it is; if you look at this link below, you can see it in the imbedded video's. Mine looks identical to the top left of the 4...
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/hw022.htm

Thanks for the recommendation offer, but on SSDI/Medi-Cal I'm stuck w/Kaiser Hayward/Union City. I can change docs any time I want, so if this guy don't give me the right answer, I'm swapping...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
How is you? Anything new?
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
O.T.
Veteran

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Yes Please
Name:
Dave send me a text if you still need someone to wrench. Robert - 510 207 8766
O.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #25
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by carries an axe View Post
How is you? Anything new?
Nope; nothing new. Hand continues to worsen slowly. It's just we had several calamities we had to take care of first. Broke down cage, kids books for college, house repairs (plumbing), etc. So won't see the doc until after 1st of next month at earliest. Sux.

Worst part can't ride w/right hand so bad; can't brake, throttle, etc.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #26
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T. View Post
Dave send me a text if you still need someone to wrench. Robert - 510 207 8766
Thank you Robert. I'm thinking we will have a "Wrenchday/BBQ" soon as the weather's getting better, & that brings out the ZRXOA. We seem to have one big meet a year out in Danville, & perhaps that will happen again? I'll let everyone know...

-ebd
Old 03-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #27
O.T.
Veteran

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Yes Please
Name:
Quote:
Thank you Robert. I'm thinking we will have a "Wrenchday/BBQ" soon as the weather's getting better, & that brings out the ZRXOA. We seem to have one big meet a year out in Danville, & perhaps that will happen again? I'll let everyone know...

-ebd
Anytime I have tools and will travel or if we can get it to my shop, I love working on bikes and have a flexible schedule just let me know and we can get that thing fixed up.
O.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #28
carries an axe
meat bone meat meat meat

BARF Moderator
Contributor +++++
The Roast in the Shell

Motorcycles: bone meat meat bone
Name: meat
Quote:
Nope; nothing new. Hand continues to worsen slowly. It's just we had several calamities we had to take care of first. Broke down cage, kids books for college, house repairs (plumbing), etc. So won't see the doc until after 1st of next month at earliest. Sux.

Worst part can't ride w/right hand so bad; can't brake, throttle, etc.
Sorry to hear that. Obviously you have some priorities, but you never know what kind of control reroutes are possible. I know nothing about it myself, but I'm sure plenty of people here would be happy to throw some ideas at it. Left hand throttle? Linked brakes to the foot? There's always possibilities...don't give up on the idea
What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms - Thomas Jefferson
carries an axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
two wheel tramp
Caaaaarnt

AMA #2771957
Rally Junkie who needs another fix
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor + + + + + + + + + 3% + GOP
Roadside Angel Alumni

Motorcycles: DR650x2, R1150GS, DRZ-400, KTM 790 AdvS
Name: Triple R
I'm old school and can mail a check. Not instant gratification like PayPal but I could get you a couple of bucks that way.
i don't get lost. i explore alternative destinations.
IBA #66001

R3 alone
two wheel tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #30
EastBayDave
- Kawasaki Fanatic -

Founding Member
From the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcootz View Post
I'm old school and can mail a check. Not instant gratification like PayPal but I could get you a couple of bucks that way.
Thank you for the kind offer; I'd just feel bad accepting money from anyone as I just....well...you know...

UPDATE: New issues, "Trigger Finger" has now spread to 3 fingers on both hands. Doc says I now have "Rheumatoid Arthritis" in finger knuckles as well. Oh brother. Getting these things fixed is financially out the window, as limited income I just can't do it.

Because of this I haven't been checking in on the biking boards as much as I have been online in the last 30 years last few weeks. It's getting hard to type now; so I'm cutting back a bit & my hope for riding is almost gone. Now getting pushed from da wife to sell bike to pay collectors.

I'm extremely grateful for all the kind offers folks, I just don't know where this is going now. I may have to give it all up after 50+ years of riding. The sad part is even though I'm still extremely fanatical/enthusiastic about riding/racing, physically it's becoming an impossibility.

I REALLY appreciate the multi-offers for help, I'm just very embarrassed by all of this crap. I haven't had a "wrench-day" here because frankly I'm too embarrassed by our messy house & garage. W/both the wife & I disabled, & a couple rotten teen-agers who ain't helping much, our place is a total mess/filthy...

I'll still be around the site; but as I say, it's getting painful to type now, so I sadly will be cutting back...:

Dave